The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2021, 05:15 PM

Default Guitar Center = Cardboard Box Problems

I went to my local GC to see if they had a cardboard box I could use for shipping a guitar I sold on Reverb. I was told they had boxes but the management will not allow them to be sold or given away due to security concerns? Has anyone else experienced this? I felt like thought I was I was looked down upon as being some sort of potential criminal. I bought a resonator there last month and buy my strings there. I may done with them. I was checking out the electric guitar inventory as I need to pick one up but appears it will not be buying from them. Store is in NW Indiana.

Last edited by Teleplucker; 07-28-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I guess I was lucky a couple of times in that I found a some in good shape out in the dumpster behind GC.

Times changing I guess.

D
Old 07-28-2021, 05:34 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
I went to my local GC to see if they had a cardboard box I could use for shipping a guitar I sold on Reverb. I was told they had boxes but the management will not allow them to be sold or given away due to security concerns? Has anyone else experienced this? I felt like thought I was I was looked down upon as being some sort of potential criminal. I bought a resonator there last month and buy my strings there. I may done with them. I was checking out the electric guitar inventory as I need to pick one up but appears it will not be buying from them. Store is in NW Indiana.
Me? I wouldn’t take it personally. I’ve had up and down experiences at GCs. But if they have a guitar I want at a good price, I’m in. Just like any other shop.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Of all the lame excuses that employee could have made up, "security concerns" was the lamest. That cardboard is obviously integral to the store's security protocols.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I was always sent to the dumpster, which was only a good option on certain days.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:01 PM

Maybe an employee gave away an “empty” box, and then the next day they discovered a nice Martin was gone….
Old 07-28-2021, 06:43 PM

I tried the dumpster first. It was empty and under padlock. Weird things going on at the Merrillville GC!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I tried the dumpster first. It was empty and under padlock. Weird things going on at the Merrillville GC!
Lol, for sure!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Last time I asked they said they needed them for their shipments….apparently had to do with their bankruptcy. I got a couple you can have 👍

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 07-28-2021, 07:17 PM

Years ago, I was able to get boxes at one of the local guitar center when calling in advance. Had to call a couple of time but it worked. Then came Covid, and I was told they were no longer giving away boxes. Boxes were being disposed of instead.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:06 PM

When I worked at Sam Ash, we were happy to give away boxes. But all it takes is one theft for a corporate chain to make a new rule that affects everyone. No reason to be offended by that. Notice how other people got offended by the way the OP articulated the fact that he was also offended. We are an interesting species.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 PM

A few months back I found a Mitchell Guitar at GC I liked and was going to bring it home. I assumed it would be in a cardboard box.They asked if I wanted to buy a bag and I stumbled over that. I told them never mind. No sooner I got on the road I regretted that. Should have just paid and got the Guitar but the price was just on the edge that I could afford that day. All because of a box.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Last time I asked they said they needed them for their shipments….apparently had to do with their bankruptcy. I got a couple you can have 👍
Me too (have a few; well, like...... 7!)

I've wondered how much it costs to ship a mostly empty guitar box and whether it's worth it.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 07-29-2021, 12:46 PM

Earlier this year I went to the local Guitar Center in northern Virginia to ask for a shipping box. Though I never purchased anything there ever myself, when I asked for a guitar shipping box, a kind G.C. employee went to the back of the store and got me a guitar shipping box that had been used for one of the new G.C. guitars and gave it to me for free.
Nowadays, I just go to the UPS Store and buy their regular guitar shipping box which is $18.95 now, instead of recycling used shipping boxes I might have. I worry about shipping expensive guitars and if I have to make claim against damages that someone will point out that the shipping box was one that was already old and therefore not reliable.
Robert A.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I guess GC finally realized that guitar boxes are a commodity and they don’t want people getting a box for free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion