The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-04-2023, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi SpruceTop,

I have looked at your Gretsch 5420TG-59 so many times on this thread! What a cool guitar!

I found a used Gretsch 5420TG-59 with a bunch of upgrades (TV Jones pickups, hard case, better quality Bixby) at a very fair price but on the east coast side of the country and I'm a little worried about it traveling across the country during this heat wave. I'm not sure what to do because I have wanted one of these for so long.

- Glenn
Old 07-05-2023, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi SpruceTop,

I have looked at your Gretsch 5420TG-59 so many times on this thread! What a cool guitar!

I found a used Gretsch 5420TG-59 with a bunch of upgrades (TV Jones pickups, hard case, better quality Bixby) at a very fair price but on the east coast side of the country and I'm a little worried about it traveling across the country during this heat wave. I'm not sure what to do because I have wanted one of these for so long.

- Glenn
I love my Gretsch G5622T! Modern guitar glues and finishes are pretty darn good. I worry more about extreme cold than heat, but a good packing job combined with a hard case will slow both temperature and humidity changes. Rapid temperature and humidity changes are what tend to damage guitars.

You know you want the guitar and the upgrades you mentioned all sound good.

I used to work in Poulsbo, WA, the current home of TV Jones pickups, not too far from you. Now I am in Idaho, hot and dry in the summers, cold in the winters. Lived in Redding, CA for a decade where it is above 100 degrees more than 30 days a year, with a maximum high of 117 degrees while I lived there. Never had a problem with guitars or banjos.

Give it the standard "wait at least 24 hours" before you open the box on your new to you Gretsch 5420TG-59 and you should be good.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi SpruceTop,

- Glenn
Hi Glenn,

I see Sweetwater has the Gretsch 5420TG-59 in stock. They pack the guitars very well for shipping so I wouldn't expect any problems upon arrival.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-05-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
...I found a used Gretsch 5420TG-59 with a bunch of upgrades (TV Jones pickups, hard case, better quality Bixby) at a very fair price but on the East Coast side of the country and I'm a little worried about it traveling across the country during this heat wave. I'm not sure what to do because I have wanted one of these for so long...
Go for it - IME the MIK E-matics are hardy beasts, so other than the usual acclimation process I wouldn't be terribly concerned...

That said, I'd be more concerned about the "very fair price" you mention: although the QC is not only uncannily consistent but head-shoulders-&-navel above their similarly-priced competition, there's always a dog or two in the mix: given my (and many of our fellow AGFers') overwhelmingly positive experience as well as the aforementioned increase in interest/prices, I'd be inclined to ask the seller exactly why he/she is getting rid of it, especially given the upgrades you mention...

I'd also make sure all the original parts are included, and all mods are readily reversible with no visible signs: while I strongly doubt it'll ever achieve similarly-rarefied status, there's a whole bunch of guys out there kicking themselves in the kiester for "upgrading" their '50s LP bursts with Grover Rotomatics - and making a Lexus-sized dent in the asking price in the process; while tone is a highly subjective matter - and there are many varieties of "That Great Gretsch Sound" - IME the original blacktop Filter'trons give up nothing in this department...

Hope you've got a nice mid-powered tube amp to keep it company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...I see Sweetwater has the Gretsch 5420TG-59 in stock...
Just checked their website - still listed as backorder:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Old 07-05-2023, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Just checked their website - still listed as backorder:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Hi Steve, I could have sworn I saw one in stock yesterday, maybe I imagined it? Anyway, I sure hope when the back-ordered ones come in that they won't be Made In China.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-10-2023, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for your replies on my buying one of these 5420TG-59 models. The used one I was interested in is sold, and from what I can see, Sweetwater still has these on backorder. Sweetwater probably is my best bet. I appreciate the comments on the high summer temperatures! I will watch and wait and see what happens!

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2023, 08:10 PM

Sorry you lost out on that one, Glenn, but as I said above I wouldn't put too much stock in Sweetwater - IMO if it returns at all it's coming back as a MIC version of the 5420 with gold hardware and a Speyside finish, so you might want to take advantage of one of these:

https://reverb.com/p/gretsch-g5420tg...ic-hollow-body
Old 11-20-2023, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Sweetwater now has the Gretsch G5420TG-59 Vintage Orange in stock along with three lesser-priced demos but whether new or demo, they're all now Made In China. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 11-20-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Sweetwater now has the Gretsch G5420TG-59 Vintage Orange in stock along with three lesser-priced demos but whether new or demo, they're all now Made In China. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...vintage-orange
Told ya...

BTW Sweetwater never - ever - had "demos" (most of which in fact are either factory B-stock or returned defective pieces) of any E-Matic model when they were built in Korea - I'll just leave it at that and, as they say out in buffalo country, let the chips fall where they may...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-21-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Told ya...

BTW Sweetwater never - ever - had "demos" (most of which in fact were either factory B-stock or returned defective pieces) of any E-Matic model when they were built in Korea - I'll just leave it at that and, as they say out in buffalo country, let the chips fall where they may...
Steve, I'm so glad I got my MIK Gretsch G5420TG-59 when I did a little over two years ago!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-04-2023, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

PSA: Right now, Sweetwater is selling the Chinese-made Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange for $100.00 off the regular price for $799.99 while supplies last.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
PSA: Right now, Sweetwater is selling the Chinese-made Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange for $100.00 off the regular price for $799.99 while supplies last.
One of the newer guys over on the Electric subforum just landed one - here's the link in case you want to weigh in with your comments:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=677741
Old 03-03-2024, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Have any players out there purchased a residual Made In Korea or the latest Made In China versions of the Sweetwater Exclusive Gretsch G5420TG-59 - Vintage Orange - Hollowbody, Arch Top, Electric Guitar? If so, how do you like your new ax? Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-13-2024, 04:01 AM

I have a March 2021 5420T, just made it before the move from Korea to China. I had plans for a pickup upgrade, and was looking at something from TV Jones.

Not that the BlackTop Filtertrons were bad in any way, they were just a bit dark and polite sounding to my ears. Never offensive though, and actually very sweet, I was just missing some of that jangly twang.

I adjusted as per the instructions in this thread - pickup height recommended by TV Jones, and pole Setzerīs pole piece diagram:

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads...t.89303/page-2

There are some similar on TV Jones website, with a more precise description to pole piece adjustment with actual turns:

https://tvjones.com/adjustments-and-schematics

I found this to be surprisingly effective, and that mid position twang I was looking for is much more present now. At the cost of more harsh highs and high mids, so it depends what you're after.

In my case I am not going to spend any money on pickup upgrades after all.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops