The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, you'll come back better than ever!!! I'll be thinking of you and sending my best...
Old 08-11-2019, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am feeling great warmth reading the kind works of my friends and acquaintances here in the AGF. Thank you so much.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
18 years ago I had a cardiac event which necessitated the installation of a stent in a coronary artery. I was 53 and a non-smoking athlete with very little body fat and a decent diet, so I was quite surprised. Of course I have mostly stayed in touch with my cardiologist since!

About five years ago I first heard the words "heart murmur" applied to myself, and I have monitored myself since looking for degradation of my quality of life, which slowly but surely has eroded my experience. Last Wednesday I spent in the CathLab while they literally poked around in my heart. The procedure went well and I am feeling fine though I am disallowed for a couple more days to drive or play my instruments. They made some recommendations however, and I have agreed to a course of action.

I plan to enter the hospital on September 18 for a double bypass open heart procedure, and to have my Aortic valve replaced with an organic valve at the same time. They tell me to expect 8 weeks of highly compromised recovery time, with the understanding that that may prove optimistic. If I understood correctly, I am low risk for trouble, and they have a 95.5% expectation of success.

This means I will NOT be at the bench from mid-September to somewhere toward the end of the year no matter how well things go. I have been expecting something in this vein, and do not actually have any committed work until the first of January, so I don't have to be flakey with anyone about scheduling.

I am still able to handle packing and shipping for those who may want grab any of the guitars I have in inventory listed on this page.

Thanks for your support up to this point.
Bruce, modern medicine is an incredible thing and you live in an area with some of the best doctors in the world. Open heart isn’t to be taken lightly, but I’m quite certain you’ll be fine and feel better afterward. Good luck in your procedure.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
18 years ago I had a cardiac event which necessitated the installation of a stent in a coronary artery. I was 53 and a non-smoking athlete with very little body fat and a decent diet, so I was quite surprised. Of course I have mostly stayed in touch with my cardiologist since!

About five years ago I first heard the words "heart murmur" applied to myself, and I have monitored myself since looking for degradation of my quality of life, which slowly but surely has eroded my experience. Last Wednesday I spent in the CathLab while they literally poked around in my heart. The procedure went well and I am feeling fine though I am disallowed for a couple more days to drive or play my instruments. They made some recommendations however, and I have agreed to a course of action.

I plan to enter the hospital on September 18 for a double bypass open heart procedure, and to have my Aortic valve replaced with an organic valve at the same time. They tell me to expect 8 weeks of highly compromised recovery time, with the understanding that that may prove optimistic. If I understood correctly, I am low risk for trouble, and they have a 95.5% expectation of success.

This means I will NOT be at the bench from mid-September to somewhere toward the end of the year no matter how well things go. I have been expecting something in this vein, and do not actually have any committed work until the first of January, so I don't have to be flakey with anyone about scheduling.

I am still able to handle packing and shipping for those who may want grab any of the guitars I have in inventory listed on this page.

Thanks for your support up to this point.
Bruce, I wish you the easiest recovery. I admire you for doing the RIGHT thing.Please speak up if there is something we can do to help (other than purchasing your entire inventory!!). I will be thinking of you sending positive juju to No Cal from the Big Easy. Best regards,

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-11-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Wishing you all the best, Bruce. Hope the surgery goes well and recovery is full and complete. I look forward to hearing a good report down the road.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:59 PM

Be well Bruce - this amazing treatment happens every day. They'll just pull out your 15th fret, drill a couple of holes, insert the steam nozzle and - uh... oops... wrong subsection.

Hope you are up and around in no time!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce, we're sorry to hear of this! We'll be pulling for you way over here in Texas. No doubt this will be a watershed experience, having skilled hands poking around inside you. I'm sure they'll have you up and picking in no time. Prayers for quick recovery, half a continent away.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Here's wishing you the best, Bruce.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sending more good vibes your way

More good vibes from San Diego!

May you recover at TOP SPEED and COMPLETELY

Some folks will go to great lengths to get a vacation.... but this is excessive.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers

Paul (and Cindy)
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear Bruce. I’ve no doubt things will go well and you’ll be back in the shop sooner than most anyone else would.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Hang in there Bruce! You have people on your side.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Hang in there Bruce! These types of surgeries are becoming “routine” these days, but having been through some recent issues myself, I know the stress level can be high. Find your zen. We look forward to your speedy recovery!

S
Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Had a chance to spend a bit of time with Bruce and his lovely wife this weekend - he's doing well, and if anyone is gonna set a record for recovery time, it'll be Bruce. And y'all know the only reason he put off the surgery is because he cannot wait to hear this latest braz OM all strung up. And judging from the looks of it, and the excitement Bruce has for this box, it may just raise the bar on all braz OMs -

But that wasn't the main appeal - I finally got a chance to spend some time with this little koa 000 he finished up recently. First off - I had seen the pics, and knew it was a beauty - but the pics really do not do it justice. Based on pure aesthetics, it is one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen, with the ivoroid binding and tuners matching the nut and saddle, and a gorgeous top with the very nicely flamed koa back and sides, and lovely volute with koa backplate - but it performs and sounds even better than it looks, and is a joyous little instrument. Its one you just want to pick up and play more, and then just put down and admire it, but then play it more, then admire it more - I love a well made koa guitar, and have 4 or 5, and I wish I were in the market for one more - but if anyone were looking for an extraordinary guitar, and you also like koa - this may be the one -

Unless, of course, you prefer braz - in which case you have a couple Sexauers to choose from - ;-)
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce...

You’re too ornery to let something like this get the best of you...

But if you want to stack the odds 100% in your favor, and ensure a perfect outcome, promise your surgeon that you’ll build him/her a guitar once you recover. I guarantee that the incentive will be truly motivating

Prayers from the Gulf Coast,
joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Default Lining up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Bruce...

You’re too ornery to let something like this get the best of you...

But if you want to stack the odds 100% in your favor, and ensure a perfect outcome, promise your surgeon that you’ll build him/her a guitar once you recover. I guarantee that the incentive will be truly motivating

Prayers from the Gulf Coast,
joel
Ha, with that incentive they will be lining up to do the job.

Bruce, I want to echo the best wishes and positive thoughts that have been coming your way by so many.

why2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop