The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
The main advantage to a new install is that James designed the main UT transducers so they all go in as one single unit, so thats much easier, both to glue in and to align with the saddle.
A single head can't have phasing issues between multiple heads. That infrequent K&K passive that can't handle 10M ohms is likely a head phasing problem. I think some of the goodness of an HFN comes from its single head design. The Ultratonic did not come out of some distributor's catalog of piezos and had to be purpose made. That costs more and I'm sure James figured out it was worth it for sound quality reasons (otherwise why make the product more expensive).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2021, 12:38 PM

So, would putting a simple TUNER in front of a 50k DI box also solve the problem? Something like the TC Electronic Polytune 3?

Still, given how much I liked the resulting sound (through an amp at the store) with drastically cutting the mids with the K&K pre-amp, I think that's the way to go. I guess I could throw the tuner in front of it, just to have a MUTE button.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
So, would putting a simple TUNER in front of a 50k DI box also solve the problem? Something like the TC Electronic Polytune 3?

Still, given how much I liked the resulting sound (through an amp at the store) with drastically cutting the mids with the K&K pre-amp, I think that's the way to go. I guess I could throw the tuner in front of it, just to have a MUTE button.
Yes it would as long as the tuner is not "true bypass".

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Yes it would as long as the tuner is not "true bypass".
I bought a Korg Pitch Black tuner that was "true bypass" . . . had to return it, because it POPPED like crazy in the PA when I would push the MUTE button.

Bought the Polytune, instead.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
50K ohms is not going to sound good with a passive K&K. It will act as a low cut. But just because it is spec'd at 50K, doesn't mean that some input on some sample of that DI is not a bit higher. Just 200K would do the trick.
Jon's correct. It's possible the one time you had an issue is when you were given a 50K low Z input for your K&K. It would sound like garbage. I wouldn't swap your pickup and approach for one bad open mic. Just get yourself a pocket preamp with 1 to 10M impedance and some EQ and have it at the ready with an extra cable or wireless.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Jon's correct. It's possible the one time you had an issue is when you were given a 50K low Z input for your K&K. It would sound like garbage. I wouldn't swap your pickup and approach for one bad open mic. Just get yourself a pocket preamp with 1 to 10M impedance and some EQ and have it at the ready with an extra cable or wireless.
Technically it would've been TWO open mics (at the same venue). The first time, it just sounded REALLY "tinny" (still, very annoying), but the second time it was really like an old electronic piano.

I've got the K&K preamp, and I've got a wireless system, so that's what I will try next.

Still, if the UltraTonic tames feedback issues, it might be worth a try. Once, at another venue (where things have always gone well for me), I was getting so much feedback from the guitar that they had to cut the volume way back on stage, so much that I could barely hear it. I think the UltraTonic might solve that. Of course, I think I can solve it by just NOT sitting on a stool, and standing instead. Any time I've stood, it hasn't been an issue . . the one time I tried it sitting, I had to live with severely reduced guitar volume on stage.

I guess I could also solve that with one of those plastic sound hole covers. I have one, but then I have to solely rely on what the sound guy gives me in the monitor. I like having at least a bit of sound coming from the soundhole that I can hear. Which is why I've been using a wooden sound-hole cover (with holes in it). Plus that looks way cooler. LOL.

I could also just put an UltraTonic in a guitar that doesn't already have a pickup in it. Like my 000-18ECM (Eric Clapton with Madagascar RW and European spruce). My friend Kylie played with the standard 000-18EC . . . so playing a very similar guitar to what she played would be meaningful to me . . especially when I do the song I wrote to her after she died:

https://soundcloud.com/user-99202317...nce-my-heart-1

PS: that's the same 000-18 GE with K&K I'm talking about in this thread . . but going into my pedalboard with some guitar processing and vocal processing and a Bluetooth mixer. Which is what I'd use going into my Bose L1 Compact if I ever get to the point that I was doing an actual gig on my own.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:50 PM

The Ultratonic strikes me as a very well thought out design where you get feedback rejection and a first class passive SBT. It will still require a decently high impedance to sound right, but likely with it's larger sensor it is probably a little (maybe not noticeably) more low impedance tolerant than a K&K.

Having a backup buffer, such as a not true bypass tuner or a simple preamp, would still be a good idea even with the Ultratonic.

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Having a backup buffer, such as a not true bypass tuner or a simple preamp, would still be a good idea even with the Ultratonic.
I agree . . I'm not looking at the Ultratonic for solving the low impedance issue . . . . just for feedback issues . . and sounds like maybe some possible phase issues, as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification