The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2019, 04:06 AM

Is there an unwritten AGF rule that once discussed, a topic must never be raised again by those who are still interested?

I just checked the forum guidelines (link below - short and well written), and there doesn't appear to be any prohibition on initiating discussions about topics previously discussed, or a requirement to read threads one is not interested in.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php
Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 AM

I will admit that I've been very grumpy and hostile towards V bracing and Taylor, and while I don't agree with their marketing, the Grand Pacific has captured my interest of late. I played two 517s and a 717 and the 717 was the clear winner to me, and I would have bought it if I hadn't just bought a D-18 and 000-18.

I plan to play more 717s over the next few weeks and will ultimately decide whether a 717 will replace my 000-18 or not. If you want to talk about a guitar that lacks bass, the 000-18 is that guitar. I love the tone, but I don't get much enjoy out of it unless I'm playing fingerstyle. I tend to love versatile guitars, and I find the 000-18 to be a one trick pony. That trick is wonderful, but still just one trick.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I will admit that I've been very grumpy and hostile towards V bracing and Taylor, and while I don't agree with their marketing, the Grand Pacific has captured my interest of late. I played two 517s and a 717 and the 717 was the clear winner to me, and I would have bought it if I hadn't just bought a D-18 and 000-18.

I plan to play more 717s over the next few weeks and will ultimately decide whether a 717 will replace my 000-18 or not. If you want to talk about a guitar that lacks bass, the 000-18 is that guitar. I love the tone, but I don't get much enjoy out of it unless I'm playing fingerstyle. I tend to love versatile guitars, and I find the 000-18 to be a one trick pony. That trick is wonderful, but still just one trick.
Now that's a new one on me. As a Taylor owner (and fan) but also avid reader on this board, I don't ever remember hearing about a Martin lacking lower end. I know it's all relative but that caught me by surprise.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Is there an unwritten AGF rule that once discussed, a topic must never be raised again by those who are still interested?
No, there is not a written or unwritten rule prohibiting continued discussions. That doesn't mean some people won't grow weary of the topic. What is required at all times is courtesy.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Now that's a new one on me. As a Taylor owner (and fan) but also avid reader on this board, I don't ever remember hearing about a Martin lacking lower end. I know it's all relative but that caught me by surprise.
Same, here.

I picked up my 000-18 at roughly the same time as Shades did...and I have an abundance of bass in mine. I've found I have to pay close attention to how heavy handed I am with it, for fear that the bass from it will overwhelm the other strings.

My Martins (and I'm guessing many others) are many things. 'Lacking in bass' is not one of those things.

That said, I am also of the opinion that my two Taylors have plenty of bass as well....so maybe my ears are just dialed in for that kind of sound, and several tons of low-end aren't my thing????
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Default About Taylor V-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
No, there is not a written or unwritten rule prohibiting continued discussions. That doesn't mean some people won't grow weary of the topic. What is required at all times is courtesy.

No one is FORCED to read or contribute to any topic. If you don’t have anything that adds to the discussion maybe you should just skip that topic.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Mine is very balanced, but no I wouldn't not call a 000-18 a bass monster when compared to something like a dread or the bigger bodied Taylors. I play a ton of DADGAD stuff, and when I hit that low D string, I want to feel it. The 000-18 gives me a wonderful sound, but it isn't quite rattling my chest. My D-18 does this well, but I want dedicated guitars so I can keep them in certain tunings and use string gauges based on the tuning.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Is there a topic on AGF that hasn’t been beaten to death? :-)
Light particle bend and deceleration in relation to magnetic force around a black hole ? oh wait ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Light particle bend and deceleration in relation to magnetic force around a black hole ? oh wait ?

Start a thread. I assure you we will all have opinions.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Start a thread. I assure you we will all have opinions.
The science is clear , that it is an inverse proportional relationship to the sound waves emitted from the sound hole on an acoustic guitar. With the speed of sound as a reduction factor, coupled with the variations in the geometric equation between a V brace and X brace, times the cosmic vibration variation, between a tube and solid state flux capacitor.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 AM

Default About Taylor V-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The science is clear , that it is an inverse proportional relationship to the sound waves emitted from the sound hole on an acoustic guitar. With the speed of sound as a reduction factor, coupled with the variations in the geometric equation between a V brace and X brace, times the cosmic vibration variation, between a tube and solid state flux capacitor.

I disagree. You’ve forgotten that the lack of low frequency energy transmission from bodies in space is directly proportional to the celestial configuration. For instance, a planetary alignment in the shape of a “U” with and sharp vertex will lead to a coupling that magnifies the interstellar frequencies of (at) the highest order.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I disagree. You’ve forgotten that the lack of low frequency energy transmission from bodies in space is directly proportional to the celestial configuration. For instance, a planetary alignment in the shape of a “U” with and sharp vertex will lead to a coupling that magnifies the interstellar frequencies of (at) the highest order.
I love lamp.......
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 05-13-2019, 10:41 AM

Let's get some science..........
This man does soundboards with science

https://mcgseminars.wordpress.com/20...hesis-seminar/

Keep your flux capicitors connected to the inverse rebostrat port for Max charge.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Here we go...again. Time for some popcorn.
Oh no, not the dreaded V-Class ...Aaaaaaugh!
Actually, I am enjoying this thread immensely. Lots of humor, people with their shorts in a bunch, the usual.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM

I played one. Thought it was faboo. Don't have the money to buy one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion