The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Default neck reset Vs carbon rod

Hello,
Own nothing but Kay and Harmony guitars in various acoustic flavors. After years of trying and buying, this turned out to be the only way to get the extra hefty neck profile I prefer (Custom is out of my league).

No surprise that several of them need neck work, and being reticent to perform any kitchen table cut and bolt type resets I face the problem of how to pay for multiple fixes. Also must weight resets, against bridge modification to lower the action, as well as one alternate method I have read about which is to pop the fretboard and install a carbon fiber neck rod after having used heat to straighten the neck to as straigt as possible.

(I understand that each of these methods (and any others that might be suggested) are probably best for addressing a particular problem as opposed to being a cure-all, but choosing a methodology becasue it is the Right Way to Do It is not always possible with limited $$ resources.)

Would appreciate any info related to the use of carbon fiber as used to stiffen a neck, and how long this "fix" might be expected to hold up. Anyone willing to believe that the rod method would be as effective as an actual reset?

Thank you kindly for reading, and your feedback. Fare well, db
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about two entirely different things, apples and oranges.

A "neck reset" changes the angle that the neck makes with the body.

A neck reinforcement, stiffens a neck, increasing its ability to resist curvature under the forces exerted on the neck by the strings. It is used to straighten/maintain a neck, not change the angle the neck makes with the body. They are independent things, different remedies for different problems.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM

What Charles said.

When a neck reset is necessary, there's no Plan B.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM

There was a fellow here who got together some inexpensive equipment and did a neck reset on an old Harmony (or similar). If you have any skill with your hands, and patience to go with the skill, you could probably do a neck reset yourself.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Would appreciate any info related to the use of carbon fiber as used to stiffen a neck, and how long this "fix" might be expected to hold up.
Carbon fiber is so stiff that it should cure any bowing problem, if properly installed. There is no reason to believe it won't hold up for the long haul.

Quote:
one alternate method I have read about which is to pop the fretboard and install a carbon fiber neck rod after having used heat to straighten the neck to as straight as possible.
It is not necessary to heat press the neck. All that is required is to reglue the fingerboard while the neck is clamped straight. That automatically straightens it, and the carbon fiber will keep it there.

Quote:
choosing a methodology because it is the Right Way to Do It is not always possible with limited $$ resources.)
You still need to use the proper course. If the action is high only because of a bowed neck, then straightening it will be sufficient. But in many cases, a reset is also called for.

Two facts that you cannot avoid:
1) Resetting, by itself, does nothing to straighten a bowed neck. If you reset a neck with too much bow without straightening it, excessive buzzing on the upper frets will occur once the action is lowered.
2) If you back-bow a straight neck instead resetting it, you will have excessive buzzing near the nut when the action is lowered.

Neither method results in a usable guitar.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I don't think that PRS would opt to use a carbon fiber rod if it wouldn't go the distance...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Are those carbon fiber rods a replacement for a truss rod, or are they purely a strengthening measure?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Hello (op here),
Wish to thank those of you who took the time to reply (and did it in such a way that I don't feel chastised for my naïveté). Sorry it took a while to respond but blew my back out and have been incapacitated since my original post.

I appreciate both the info about carbon fiber strength, and the distinction broght to my attention re: the difference between a neck reset and a bowed neck. I believe what I am dealing with here is a bowed neck in which case I would now feel confident in asking a repairperson to clamp it straight and put in the carbon fiber rod(s)...and of course asking their opinion as to whether or not my inital take on the situation is indeed correct.

In answer to the question posed by tdq, while I have no actual expereince with the use of carbon fiber rods, I beleive I have seen them installed both independently for necks without a rod, and in conjunction with the original truss rod (perhaps trying to double up on the protection?).

Again, thank you kindly for your assistance and for sharing info. Fare well, db
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I don't think that PRS would opt to use a carbon fiber rod if it wouldn't go the distance...

ha ha! that's a bit more of a chunk then a rod..

i suspect it's graphite rather then carbon fiber.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair