The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-12-2022, 01:50 PM

Default new Steve Tibbetts Interview

I know he's far from a household name, and his eclectic taste in music almost guarantees a smaller (if more appreciative) audience,* but I really enjoyed this interview with guitarist Steve Tibbetts.

Tibbetts has been a cardinal influence for me. His LP Yr is for me what Kind of Blue is to me and others (yes, that's an audacious statement, and yes, two completely different kind of music, and yes, you may be "right" to disagree). Despite overlaps in my life and location with Tibbetts, this interview cleared up some history in how he developed. But more than that, hearing him talk about how he persevered in doing his own concept was encouraging to hear, and the interviewer and Tibbetts are so open-hearted and unassuming.

If you're a Tibbetts fan already, this is a must listen. If you aren't, well maybe you'll never want to be. That's OK.

Steve Tibbetts interview with Steve Seel

*With rare exceptions (talked about in the interview) Tibbetts self-records and produces himself. His music is mostly instrumental, though he has worked with a Tibetan nun/vocalist who doesn't sing in English. His long-time collaborator/percussionist has a wonderful sound that is very important in the recordings. He plays and uses acoustic guitar a great deal, particularly his uniquely tuned Martin 12-string, but he also uses electric guitar in full fuzz-tone and overdriven flavors. This mix means it's easy for him to "turn off" listeners who dislike one of the elements in his music -- and listening to just one cut can give you a mistaken impression he's something less unique than the whole of his work is. He doesn't sound like Pat Metheny, Oregon, or Bill Frissell, but there's (IMHO) a similar broadness and uniqueness to his music.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-18-2022, 01:33 PM

Great find! I've been a fan since YR.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-18-2022, 08:08 PM

We may be the only ones here who dig Tibbetts

Tibbetts didn't tour much or play live over his career and even though he's local to my area, I've been able to see him play live a few times. Something about him just "clicks" with me.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-20-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I know he's far from a household name, and his eclectic taste in music almost guarantees a smaller (if more appreciative) audience,* but I really enjoyed this interview with guitarist Steve Tibbetts.

Tibbetts has been a cardinal influence for me. His LP Yr is for me what Kind of Blue is to me and others (yes, that's an audacious statement, and yes, two completely different kind of music, and yes, you may be "right" to disagree). Despite overlaps in my life and location with Tibbetts, this interview cleared up some history in how he developed. But more than that, hearing him talk about how he persevered in doing his own concept was encouraging to hear, and the interviewer and Tibbetts are so open-hearted and unassuming.

If you're a Tibbetts fan already, this is a must listen. If you aren't, well maybe you'll never want to be. That's OK.

Steve Tibbetts interview with Steve Seel

*With rare exceptions (talked about in the interview) Tibbetts self-records and produces himself. His music is mostly instrumental, though he has worked with a Tibetan nun/vocalist who doesn't sing in English. His long-time collaborator/percussionist has a wonderful sound that is very important in the recordings. He plays and uses acoustic guitar a great deal, particularly his uniquely tuned Martin 12-string, but he also uses electric guitar in full fuzz-tone and overdriven flavors. This mix means it's easy for him to "turn off" listeners who dislike one of the elements in his music -- and listening to just one cut can give you a mistaken impression he's something less unique than the whole of his work is. He doesn't sound like Pat Metheny, Oregon, or Bill Frissell, but there's (IMHO) a similar broadness and uniqueness to his music.

Wow will check this out for sure ! I swear I had a cd from him that was acoustic and 12 string sounding it’s old but can’t seem to find it don’t know it’s name either ugh ! Lol [emoji23]

Good to see other tibbetts fans [emoji4]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 12-19-2022, 08:59 AM

Maybe this?
https://stevetibbetts.com/northern-song/
Old 12-19-2022, 09:54 AM

I always get standoffish when I see the some iteration of the cliche:

"XXXXXXX's unclassifiable music knows no boundaries"

at the headline.

Interesting use of effects. At least he's doing something different than most current players.

I remember sitting on the floor of the gym at UCSB and hearing random "experimental" music in 1968. I am pretty sure the musicians were under the influence. And again some out-of-the-ordinary experiments on the early Windam Hill recordings. There is a good recording of John and Yoko taking a bath on the Two Virgins album as well.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I always get standoffish when I see the some iteration of the cliche:

"XXXXXXX's unclassifiable music knows no boundaries"

at the headline.

Interesting use of effects. At least he's doing something different than most current players.

I remember sitting on the floor of the gym at UCSB and hearing random "experimental" music in 1968. I am pretty sure the musicians were under the influence. And again some out-of-the-ordinary experiments on the early Windam Hill recordings. There is a good recording of John and Yoko taking a bath on the Two Virgins album as well.

Some of Tibbetts may be too "music from the hearts of space" for you. But not all. His Yr album is one example that reaches beyond that. Marc Anderson is another difference, he's as inventive on percussion as Tibbetts is on guitars.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:16 AM

Thanks, great find. Been a fan nsince Yr as well. Was just thinking the other day about what he is doing now and wishing there was more of what he does out there today.
91 Taylor K15C Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN