The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Default Schenk Ophirio RD 12-string

Well, I'll be getting my second custom lefty guitar within a few months ... a twin to the 6-string I just got last month.

Rod makes gorgeous 12-strings ... I have a righty already, which I describe as a 6-string on steroids, without the really high jangle. It's as easy to play as a 6-string, even fingerpicking.

My lefty playing has improved quite a bit this month, especially my left hand, to the point I think I could manage to play a 12-string, especially one of Rod's. At least I'll have a few months to work on my lefty playing before the 12-string arrives.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Sweet!

What are the specs?

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM

They're the same as the 6-string ... EIR/Adi. Actually, I'm going to need to talk to Rod about that as the nut width of the 6-string is 1 3/4" and the nut width of his 12-strings is usually 1 13/16".
Old 01-10-2012, 03:56 AM

sound clips when you get it?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM

You don't want to hear me play lefty ... though I am getting better ... I am hoping that I'll improve before the 12-string arrives.

Speaking about sound clips ... what's a cheap way of getting good quality sound files? I've tried using my iPod, but it didn't really record the nuances of a guitar.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Perennially Maladroit

Lefty 12-string?

I'm interested!.....
Look forward to seeing this guitar!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Kevin, I knew you would be. Actually, you might want Rod to build you one, too.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
You don't want to hear me play lefty ... though I am getting better ... I am hoping that I'll improve before the 12-string arrives.

Speaking about sound clips ... what's a cheap way of getting good quality sound files? I've tried using my iPod, but it didn't really record the nuances of a guitar.
like the saying goes, practice makes perfect

without investing in a sound recorder or a recording interface you could either try recording with a smart phone or a laptop.

excited to see how this guitar works for you. Rod makes great looking instruments and they sound great from the clips you can see on youtube. def on the front running for my next commission.

i am curious about the Ophirio size, do you feel it is smaller than an OM? I was reading another thread about the FE which is the other size i am considering and that is smaller than a SJ, i guess.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM

As far as being a great 12-string, I'm confident it will be. I haven't played a Schenk 12-string that I didn't love.

I think the Ophirio might be a little larger than an OM ... difficult to say as the shape is different, but it's similar in size. As I said on the other thread, I do prefer the FE ... I just think it has great balance and sweet voice ... though I did go between the FE and GK quite a bit before my final decision ... but when I decided that my first Schenk was going to be a 12-string, the FE was the frontrunner.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
As far as being a great 12-string, I'm confident it will be. I haven't played a Schenk 12-string that I didn't love.

I think the Ophirio might be a little larger than an OM ... difficult to say as the shape is different, but it's similar in size. As I said on the other thread, I do prefer the FE ... I just think it has great balance and sweet voice ... though I did go between the FE and GK quite a bit before my final decision ... but when I decided that my first Schenk was going to be a 12-string, the FE was the frontrunner.
thanks for the input. i think the FE is the shape for me. i'll know for sure once I speak with Rod and pull the trigger.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 AM

Well, you can't go wrong with any of them. Of course, when I was deciding, it was much simpler as there were only two sizes to choose from ... and when I played the very first 12-string he built, I really knew what I wanted.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:

Wow another Schenk.

I found the cheap Zoom H1 a significant upgrade to the iphone I was using to record my playing. It'll also capture your mistakes more accurately, though. I guess it cuts both ways..
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Well, McOliver, Schenks are dangerous ... you can't just have one (or two ... or three ...). I figured you know that as I think my suggestion to you was to get two. I hope you're enjoying waiting for your Ophirio ... I think you decided to go with EIR. After playing the lefty and righty RD several times, I'm kind of thinking I prefer the sound of the Rosewood over the Mahogany ... though I love both.

I actually managed another improvement in my lefty playing this morning ... I'm getting solid balance in my fretting hand. It's been frustrating as I haven't been getting consistent proper fretting, but I also knew that pressing harder wasn't the answer and I just needed to keep practicing and proper fretting would come eventually.

It has definitely been an advantage already knowing how to play righty ... not getting into bad habits (or stopping them quickly after recognizing them) to have to unlearn them years later.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 AM

Oh the waiting... One of the few times that I'm thankful for having too much work (even on weekends!) Make the days fly by much quicker. And yes, I played it safe and went the Adi/Rosewood combo.

It's good to know your making progress. Before you know it, you'll be playing guitar ambidextrous.

My young daughter (who also likes music) is a lefty. Right now she enjoys playing the piano and progressing quite fast! But I think I'm starting to see a lefty guitar in the future.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM

McOliver, it will be worth the wait. And you'll have it for many years to come. Each day I'm becoming more attached to the Ophirio RD ... I love the way it sounds ... and it's making me a better player.

Yeah, the lefty experiment is actually turning out much better than I imagined ... especially after those first 12 months ... but I guess after playing one way for almost 30 years kind of gets ingrained in your mind.

Maybe you'll have to ask Rod to build your daughter a lefty ... or, if she needs a smaller instrument, Rod also makes mandolins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop