The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-31-2020, 12:31 PM

The hour gained, or lost, does mess with my internal clock for a few days. I do not mind, much. An extra hour of evening light over much of yard work season means this one woman show has some extra time for said yard work after paycheck work. A return to standard time for four months means extra daylight, melting winter's frozen precip, before being forced to join other morning commuters. The advantages are still relevant to my place in life. Maybe when I am retired, the time changes will annoy me more.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:26 PM

I hate it and would strongly support permanent Daylight time. Now my dog will be waking me at 6 instead of 7. Ugh.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 10-31-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm good with switching back and forth. An hour doesn't disrupt my whole life as it seems it does for some I guess. I like the extra hour of daylight in the summer. My friend was complaining about it yesterday, much the same conversation. Frankly, I go to bed late and get up late. If they were to keep it consistent all year I would rather we had the hour in the evening than the hour in the morning.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-31-2020, 02:26 PM

Clocks here in the UK went back last weekend but we don’t have daylight saving, we have British Summer time (although that doesn’t guarantee a summer). Now we’re back on Greenwich Mean Time which is actually real time although it sucks when you have to turn the lights on an hour earlier.

I quite like the idea of daylight saving but what do you do with all the daylight you have saved? ….and where do you keep it?

YouTube
Old 10-31-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I'm good with switching back and forth. An hour doesn't disrupt my whole life as it seems it does for some I guess. I like the extra hour of daylight in the summer. My friend was complaining about it yesterday, much the same conversation. Frankly, I go to bed late and get up late. If they were to keep it consistent all year I would rather we had the hour in the evening than the hour in the morning.
+1, give me an extra hour of sunlight in the evening.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Clocks here in the UK went back last weekend but we don’t have daylight saving, we have British Summer time (although that doesn’t guarantee a summer). Now we’re back on Greenwich Mean Time which is actually real time although it sucks when you have to turn the lights on an hour earlier.

I quite like the idea of daylight saving but what do you do with all the daylight you have saved? ….and where do you keep it?
We generally save it in a jar, then sell it to the detergent companies.

I wondered if the world changed their clocks on the same day. Having it a week apart must create some additional confusion.

Also, don't forget, it's not called "Summer Time", it's called "British Summer Time", so, well, you know.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:08 PM

I don’t mind turning the clock ⏰ back in the fall. Springing forward in the spring messes up my system more.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

I wondered if the world changed their clocks on the same day. Having it a week apart must create some additional confusion.

Also, don't forget, it's not called "Summer Time", it's called "British Summer Time", so, well, you know.
Of course it is . Ironically though this year when we were all locked up inside we actually had a very good summer.

YouTube
Old 10-31-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah, UK time is the same as Portugal and Iceland !?

It is great in spring but this autumn one is depressing (as if we needed to be more depressed!)

he UK change last week and the US one tonight was really confusing my zoom lesson timings, until I discovered a site called "Timebuddy" it's really helpful.

Like mc1 and his dog we have a very autistic cat, who has his internal time clock, and he has been totally out of phase this week.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

Silly me, I still have the daylight I saved from last year's time change... Nope, unfortunately the seal broke. Guessing with all the bottling you do with your garden that you could offer me some tips.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:46 PM

Takes a few days to a week to get used to it at either change & never think much about it after that.

Don't think it would bother me if we didn't have it, the only difference would be starting work earlier & going to bed earlier (by the clock at least) although that wouldn't always work as we're on some sites that have noise curfews before 7 am..

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 10-31-2020, 04:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'll take the extra hour if sleep, but I don't like seeing dark at 5:30 pm, but in 2 months I'll be semi retired so I can live with it

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-31-2020, 05:03 PM

Right on. There are no "savings". The sun rises and sets on it's natural rhythm. Changing an hour on the clock is just make believe.

Quote:

Old 10-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Adding another hour to 2020 is like putting bonus tracks on a Yoko Ono album.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccamey View Post
Right on. There are no "savings". The sun rises and sets on it's natural rhythm. Changing an hour on the clock is just make believe.
Of course, in reality, the sun neither rises nor sets either. That's just an illusion created by the Earth's rotation.

And time is just a prison created by the man!

Last edited by mc1; 10-31-2020 at 05:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic