The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Did She Mention My Name by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

This song seems so representative of Gordon Lightfoot's music, and I needed something happy to record to take my mind off other issues.

My version of this song is a one-take, very loose rendition of this song, but I felt that was okay on such a feel-good song. The background photos are of Gordon Lightfoot's home town of Orillia, ON. I have to think there must be some ladies there that have mentioned his name over the years.

The guitar is my 1967 Martin D-35.

The original studio recording of this song was done with no capo, but there is a live version on YouTube with Gord singing this song on capo 2 and it sounds much more alive to my ears. I found the same thing with my voice; I liked it better with the capo on the 2nd fret.

Thank you all for listening!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2020, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Its a good day when there's a new Glenn video to watch! Great job, Glenn! Nice song to take us away from these anxious times for a few minutes. That old D-35 was a perfect choice here, and I really liked the background images. Great playing, great vocals, super enjoyable!
Old 10-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Its a good day when there's a new Glenn video to watch! Great job, Glenn! Nice song to take us away from these anxious times for a few minutes. That old D-35 was a perfect choice here, and I really liked the background images. Great playing, great vocals, super enjoyable!
Thank you Larry!

I really appreciate your taking time to watch and comment here! Much appreciated.

Regarding the use of the D-35, I had originally intended to play this on my D-45, but I found that I was having trouble with the solo part up the neck. My D-45 has a beefier neck and wider nut width compared to my D-35. I realized that I had a much easier time playing that solo on the old D-35. I don't have particularly big hands or long fingers so the D-35 fits my hand much better.

I hope you are doing well, Larry!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2020, 06:49 PM

Another great one Glenn. Love GL and this version too.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Another great one Glenn. Love GL and this version too.
Thank you Started!

Very nice of you to take the time to watch and comment! I hope all is well for you and your family! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 10-31-2020, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

Glenn,

What's not to like about your playing and singing.......

Well done and thanks for posting. Always good to hear a GL song.

john
Old 10-31-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Glenn,

What's not to like about your playing and singing.......

Well done and thanks for posting. Always good to hear a GL song.

john
Thank you John!

Much appreciated! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Good morning, Glenn! That song has universal appeal for folks who moved away, I’m sure your rendition was heartfelt and true to the spirit of the original. Loved it!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Good morning, Glenn! That song has universal appeal for folks who moved away, I’m sure your rendition was heartfelt and true to the spirit of the original. Loved it!
Hi Bob,

Yes, you're right about the appeal of this song and our tendency to look back to where we grew up. It also reminds some of us of girlfriends of the past from our younger days, where we wonder what happened to them.

Gordon Lightfoot was such a good looking guy in his younger days, I have to think he had a few girlfriends in his younger days.

Thanks for listening Bob and for taking time to comment!

I hope all is well for you.

- Glenn
Old 10-31-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Great job, Glenn! I always liked that tune. I don't remember it being a huge hit for him, but it's such a nice tune. And you do Lightfoot so well. Wonderful job... keep 'em coming!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great job, Glenn! I always liked that tune. I don't remember it being a huge hit for him, but it's such a nice tune. And you do Lightfoot so well. Wonderful job... keep 'em coming!
Thank you Kerbie!

How wonderful to hear from you! Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments!

When I think back about performers who influenced my style, Gordon Lightfoot has been a huge influence. Also, his playing style and his vocal range fit me very well, so it's generally not too hard for me to adapt to one of his songs.

In terms of hits, I have trouble knowing what Lightfoot's hits were beyond "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald," "Sundown," and "If You Could Read My Mind." (I have already done covers of these songs.) Because I always bought GL's albums, I had a much broader exposure to his music compared to most listeners. There are so many of his songs that I have really appreciated that most listeners have never even heard.

Every time I do a cover of a Lightfoot song, I get more suggestions -- which I appreciate. Someone on YouTube just suggested "The Mountains and Marianne" this morning. I've always loved that song, so I may see how that works for me. I've never tried to learn to play that song before.

Thanks so much Kerbie for your thoughts and comments!

- Glenn
Old 10-31-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

This song seems so representative of Gordon Lightfoot's music, and I needed something happy to record to take my mind off other issues.

My version of this song is a one-take, very loose rendition of this song, but I felt that was okay on such a feel-good song. The background photos are of Gordon Lightfoot's home town of Orillia, ON. I have to think there must be some ladies there that have mentioned his name over the years.

The guitar is my 1967 Martin D-35.

The original studio recording of this song was done with no capo, but there is a live version on YouTube with Gord singing this song on capo 2 and it sounds much more alive to my ears. I found the same thing with my voice; I liked it better with the capo on the 2nd fret.

Thank you all for listening!

- Glenn
Beautiful, Glenn! Nice Red Shea thing going on there, too!

Bob Dylan and I have something very much in common: We both love Gordon Lightfoot!

Orillia, Ontario, Canada, is a quaint city and I've passed through it many times in my younger days on the way up to Northern Ontario to see my grandparents. Thanks for the photo!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Beautiful, Glenn! Nice Red Shea thing going on there, too!

Bob Dylan and I have something very much in common: We both love Gordon Lightfoot!

Orillia, Ontario, Canada, is a quaint city and I've passed through it many times in my younger days on the way up to Northern Ontario to see my grandparents. Thanks for the photo!
Thank you SpruceTop!

I very much appreciate your comments! That's cool that you have been through Orillia! I went through there myself many years ago in about 1975.

I certainly appreciate Gordon Lightfoot's music, and it's great to know that you do, too! He has written quite a few good songs, and many of them are hidden gems that many folks have never heard or paid attention to.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-31-2020, 03:55 PM

Hi Glenn! Well that was delivered with the energy I needed today! LOL!
Really nice work on this song....and good playing up the neck too!
Best Halloween wishes, Glenn!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-31-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Glenn! Well that was delivered with the energy I needed today! LOL!
Really nice work on this song....and good playing up the neck too!
Best Halloween wishes, Glenn!
Fred
Thank you Fred!

Great to hear from you! Thanks for watching and for your comments!

That was a first-take performance on this song, though I had practiced this for a few days before I sat down in front of the mics and cameras. The solo parts of this song are not perfect, there are one or two notes that are not cleanly hit, but I thought that the energy was what was needed right now, at least for me.

My extended family has gone through a major loss in the last day and I needed something to chase the blues away.

My wife and I will have fun with Halloween. I don't know if we will get to see our nearby grandchildren, but even if we don't, we'll have fun. I hope you and your family will, too! Take care Fred!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell