The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Graphtech Ukulele Tuners on a custom instrument

Hello AGF,

I am at the point where I'm starting the neck on a custom 6 string ukulele build and was considering an alternative set of tuners and am really on the fence. Any help, experience, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. From builders, collectors, players, etc.

I was planning on Gotoh UPTL tuners for this build but came across a new planetary tuner by Graphtech that has me extremely interested. Mostly because of weight but also because of the use of reinforced polymers. I have always struggled with the balance on these instruments with 6 heavy tuners. And have used modified mandolin tuners in the past. These just seem to have so much going for them.

https://graphtech.com/products/ratio...ds-pru-4004-bk

The fear is that they will be perceived as cheap... because they are affordable. Of course, if they don't meet my requirements for build quality and feel I won't use them but I am very hopeful. I plan on sanding out any parting lines and cleaning up a bit.

I am already using Rocklite Ebano for the fingerboard, bridge, and head plate veneer, to this may be the right instrument to try it on. It will also have an adjustable angle neck...

The hope is to sell this spec instrument at some point and would hate to set this instrument back with a poor choice.

Thank you in advance and I hope all is well.

_Mike
Old 10-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I have three ukes and would be fine to buy a uke with these tuners. Of my ukes: one has 1:1 and is a pain. Another has those 4:1 planetary tuners and that is ok. The last one I got has waverly tuners with koa buttons and those are the perhaps the best. These are all four string and there isn't a balance issue even with the koa waverly. Would two more throw it off? No idea!

But, as noted, I wouldn't be turned off by the tuners you recommended.

Post some pics.

Best -
John

Last edited by jmat; 10-30-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:44 AM

Thank you, John! Your input is very helpful!!!

The 6:1 ratio and weight are very intriguing to me. It is great to hear the material and aesthetic wouldn't turn you off.

_Mike
Old 11-01-2020, 09:13 AM

I own 2 guitaleles, both are baritone bodies. One has 6 Gotoh UPT tuners, the other has regular rabbit ears tuners. The Gotoh one may be just a hair top heavy but it doesn’t affect playability. I love the way Gotoh UPT looks. Classic, clean lines and beams of quality. The Graphtech polymer tuners look to me, unrefined, clunky and cheap. I understand that from a technical stand point, the polymer tuner is a great idea. But it just does not fit in the area of high end custom work.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Thank you for your feedback. That is one of my main concerns. The time spent and care in all of the other materials may not align with what the polymer tuners have to offer. I am back and forth on this. Still.

Thank you again for your input!

_Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop