The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Default Katana 50 and ADI21 question.

I need input and suggestions on whether I have this right. I have an Emerald x20 with a k+k mini. I bought a Katana 50 because it had the acoustic setting and figured I could have a basic all in one for playing my tele and x20. I'm really not interested in hooking up to a computer and I get totally acceptable clean tones for my electric. I found the acoustic less satisfying. I had a ADI21 so plugged it in the Power Amp In on the back. From what I understand that is post effects on the 50? Is it safe to plug into the regular input so I can get a little reverb and such? I need to add that I believe the AdI21 really helped the sound. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Hey beanpole...While i don't have a Katana so I can't answer your question about that, I can answer your question re: the ADi. It can be plugged into the front of your amp/regular input. It is a preamp so you'll have to watch your gain for a clean tone. The ADi should improve your tone with the sweepable mid range control and the Blend which is a tube emulation.
Hope this helps.
jricc
Old 10-31-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanks jricc, that is exactly what I wanted to be sure of. I plugged it all in and to my ears it sounds much better. Plus I have more volume to work with.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:05 AM

I don't have any of the aforementioned guitars, amps or DI - but I did read that the Clean setting on the Katana actually worked better then the Acoustic setting, for acoustics. Might be worth a try, if you haven't already.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-04-2020, 10:14 AM

I just bought a Katana MII 50 and the clean channel does work well with an acoustic (all my guitars are K&K equipped). However, if you boost the gain on the Acoustic channel and adjust the eq (lower bass and mids and slightly boost treble) the acoustic channel is really a good option.

I bought it because it was 229 and makes for a good option if I don't want to bring an acoustic amp/effects pedals and board/ or plug into the BOSE S1s and board. I am pretty flabbergasted with the Katana MII 50. I can plug any of my electrics or acoustics in with very little effort to get nice clean tones - not much on distortion or overdrive.

davidc
Old 11-04-2020, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I just bought a Katana MII 50 and the clean channel does work well with an acoustic (all my guitars are K&K equipped). However, if you boost the gain on the Acoustic channel and adjust the eq (lower bass and mids and slightly boost treble) the acoustic channel is really a good option.

I bought it because it was 229 and makes for a good option if I don't want to bring an acoustic amp/effects pedals and board/ or plug into the BOSE S1s and board. I am pretty flabbergasted with the Katana MII 50. I can plug any of my electrics or acoustics in with very little effort to get nice clean tones - not much on distortion or overdrive.

davidc

Totally agree! Just watch out of too much gain, a sure prescription for feedback. But even though I own two ACUS acoustic amps and two Bose S1 Pro's, I would not hesitate to use my Katana 50 for gigs or really anywhere. But as said above, the "acoustic" setting is a dog.....just go straight into the clean channel and with a few tweaks tone-wise you will be fine.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:32 PM

I plugged direct and experimenting with some of the suggestions posted. Still undecided on preference between clean and acoustic. Dcopper's take on setting the gain and eq seems to make significant difference and sounds best to me on the acoustic channel. I sure appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. I relate to capefish... about trying to keep it simplified.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:41 AM

I Have an Emerald X7 (great guitar BTW) and demoed a Kat50. Like you I found the acoustic setting to be pretty horrible with the X7. The clean setting with a Strat was lovely and worth the price of entry on it's own but I didn't think of trying it with the Emerald. Maybe the acoustic setting is like the boss acoustic pedal, designed to make an electric sound more like and acoustic in a mix?
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

Last edited by sam.spoons; 11-10-2020 at 10:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification