The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2020, 02:04 AM

I bought some felt picks to play my ukulele and they're absolutely unusable.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I bought some carved wood pics a year or so ago because they sounded like they’d be cool. They are basically unusable. I also bought some pics a few years ago that have a rubber “gripper” covering the upper bout of the pick. They’re even worse.

I’ve come down to some plain old nylon Jim Dunlop picks that are consistently good...and one Blue Chip pick that is amazing, but is wasted on a player of my lower ability.

Last edited by TDavis; 11-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I bought some carved wood pics a year or so ago because they sounded like they’d be cool. They are basically unusable. I also bought some pics a few years ago that have a rubber “gripper” covering the upper bout of the pick. They’re even worse.

I’ve come down to some plain old Jim Dunlop picks that are consistently good...and one Blue Chip pick that is amazing, but is wasted on a player of my lower ability.
I am glad I read this reply as I almost ordered some Fender Mojo's last night. I had a few beers though and ordered some pickboys that I definitely do not need
Old 11-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

These 3 are my least favourite:

Dunlop "Americana": Way, way too much pick noise. It clicks and clatters all over the shop.

John Pearce Fast Turtle: Lovely casein material, awful shape. I'm going to re-shape this one to see if adding a bevel and rounding the tip will help.

Tusq 1mm Dark Grey triangle: Awful, scratchy sound; tone too bright (despite this supposing to be the mellow version). Destined for the bin.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:21 AM

I agree that the John Pearse Fast Turtle picks have an odd shape. Lovely material, but a bit strange to use. That would be toward the top of my list of unusable picks, based on shape alone. They do sound nice though
Old 11-01-2020, 10:11 AM

MC1, I like your Canada Flag picks. I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy playing that "storm trooper" pick (pick on the far left).

My least useable picks now are the sub .60 mm picks.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:18 AM

My daughter has a First Act pick that about the size of my hand.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 11-01-2020, 01:02 PM

I'm nutty about picks. I have a lot of them, tried a lot of them. Use a bunch of them. Some picks types I've only used a few times, but I like what they did that day on that instrument, for that aim.

One pick I've tried and can't find a use for: the Dunlop Big Stubby. Conceptually it might work: the dimple should help grip. I'm not adverse to thicker picks. It may be the material. It just never sounds good to me, and I've even had it rotate when trying to use it, as a single round dimple isn't enough to keep that kind of movement from occurring for me.

I've never been able to use the small, sharp teardop "Jazz picks" Hard to get a consistent non-moving grip there too. In theory the sharper point would offer an alternative sound, but the way they handle in my hand doesn't work for me.

In the OP's rogues gallery I love the rubber picks for bass. As mentioned up-thread, close to bare flesh sound without the painful blisters I get when I play too much bass without a pick.

And I was interested to see the Gibson Tri-Pick in that picture. I bought a box of them at a warehouse sale maybe 40 years ago or so. Interesting idea in that in theory you could use all three different thicknesses while playing one piece, just by rotating the tips, What also is interesting about them, and what makes them not work for a lot of people or aims is that it's made of very soft and flexible nylon type of material. Even the "heavy" is about a flexible as a yellow Tortex as I recall, and the thin is very flexy and gets more so when it warms up. But if one wants to get that thin, feathery strumming sound it can work like nobody's business.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
These 3 are my least favourite:

Dunlop "Americana": Way, way too much pick noise. It clicks and clatters all over the shop.

John Pearce Fast Turtle: Lovely casein material, awful shape. I'm going to re-shape this one to see if adding a bevel and rounding the tip will help.

Tusq 1mm Dark Grey triangle: Awful, scratchy sound; tone too bright (despite this supposing to be the mellow version). Destined for the bin.
I'm actually a little bit intrigued by the shape of that Fast Turtle, and not just because of the oxymoronic name. I wonder if the shape is suppose to give you two different picking points, of more pointy and one more round.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'm nutty about picks. I have a lot of them, tried a lot of them. Use a bunch of them. Some picks types I've only used a few times, but I like what they did that day on that instrument, for that aim.

One pick I've tried and can't find a use for: the Dunlop Big Stubby. Conceptually it might work: the dimple should help grip. I'm not adverse to thicker picks. It may be the material. It just never sounds good to me, and I've even had it rotate when trying to use it, as a single round dimple isn't enough to keep that kind of movement from occurring for me.

I've never been able to use the small, sharp teardop "Jazz picks" Hard to get a consistent non-moving grip there too. In theory the sharper point would offer an alternative sound, but the way they handle in my hand doesn't work for me.

In the OP's rogues gallery I love the rubber picks for bass. As mentioned up-thread, close to bare flesh sound without the painful blisters I get when I play too much bass without a pick.

And I was interested to see the Gibson Tri-Pick in that picture. I bought a box of them at a warehouse sale maybe 40 years ago or so. Interesting idea in that in theory you could use all three different thicknesses while playing one piece, just by rotating the tips, What also is interesting about them, and what makes them not work for a lot of people or aims is that it's made of very soft and flexible nylon type of material. Even the "heavy" is about a flexible as a yellow Tortex as I recall, and the thin is very flexy and gets more so when it warms up. But if one wants to get that thin, feathery strumming sound it can work like nobody's business.
Something 'bout these pick names. I used to have a Big Stubby too, and I think it was the hard plastic material and sharp edge (i.e. pointed bevel) that just didn't work for me. It didn't move on me, but was just too rigid.

I really like the small, hard Jazz picks. But not the pointy ones, the more rounded ones, like below. One of my favorite, even for strumming or comping. The pointy ones almost seemed to catch on the strings, if I recall correctly.

Again, good to know about those rubber picks. I'm sure when I bought them I had no idea what they were for, I just wanted to try them.

With the Gibson triple picker I find the shape odd to hold, as I like smaller, thicker picks. And really floppy isn't so great for me.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
I'm actually a little bit intrigued by the shape of that Fast Turtle, and not just because of the oxymoronic name. I wonder if the shape is suppose to give you two different picking points, of more pointy and one more round.
I think that was the idea.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloPicks View Post
I think that was the idea.
I kind of like it in its unsymmetrical way. Of course, I've never actually used one. What about the shape makes it unusable? Does it feel funny between the fingers?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:48 PM

Teardrops. Especially teardrops that were free.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:19 PM

Default What are some of your least useable picks?

Is don’t like flimsy, flexy pics.

I was playing a gig once and a young man was just standing there staring the whole time. I didn’t realize at first that we was a special needs person (my apologies if that’s not the correct term).

When I took a break, he came up to me, pulled his wallet from his pocket and pulled out a guitar pick. A flimsy, flexy little orange guitar pick.

“Here!” he said. “Let’s trade picks.”

“Sure! That would be cool; do you play?” I said as I handed him one of my picks (1.14 purple).

He said he did and I took his pick (the kind of flimsy, flexy little orange pick that I hate), thanked him, and put it in my pocket.

He looked and me; he looked at my pocket. Then he looked at me again.

“Use mine!” he said.

“What?”

“Use my pick! Use it now!”

So I used that flimsy, flexy little orange pick that I hate for the rest of the set (or at least until he left).
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-02-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Is don’t like flimsy, flexy pics.

I was playing a gig once and a young man was just standing there staring the whole time. I didn’t realize at first that we was a special needs person (my apologies if that’s not the correct term).

When I took a break, he came up to me, pulled his wallet from his pocket and pulled out a guitar pick. A flimsy, flexy little orange guitar pick.

“Here!” he said. “Let’s trade picks.”

“Sure! That would be cool; do you play?” I said as I handed him one of my picks (1.14 purple).

He said he did and I took his pick (the kind of flimsy, flexy little orange pick that I hate), thanked him, and put it in my pocket.

He looked and me; he looked at my pocket. Then he looked at me again.

“Use mine!” he said.

“What?”

“Use my pick! Use it now!”

So I used that flimsy, flexy little orange pick that I hate for the rest of the set (or at least until he left).
That was nice of you, both to trade and use the fflop.

Although if I'm following, I believe you promised to exclusively use the fflop for the rest of your guitar playing days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion