The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2020, 06:06 AM

My only experience with acoustics are with Taylor and Gibson

Taylor seems to get it "right" most of the time.

Gibson, seems they never do, and they always need a full setup...
Old 11-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Taylors have a setup that sells guitars. I would have to have a new saddle made right off. Not everyone wants as low as you can go without buzzing. I commend Martin on their factory setup.
Oh my brother. Agree to disagree here. Maybe where you live, Taylor's are setup to sell. But here in Kansas City. Action on Taylor's are a mile of the neck. Gotta be the big swing in humidity and temp. But They are near unplayable. For the $ 3500. + price tag they should come with the $50.00 shim kit to fix.

As far as other high end brands go. The action is always high for me. I've got a very light touch, and play all the way up the neck. So action I look for runs between .052"-.054" on string 6. Graduating down .02" per string to .042"-.044" on string 1.

I set my action by filing the top of the saddle, not the bottom.
I'll use a .054" nut file. And cut a slot in each location.
When I get the desired height, I'll file the front back till I get intonation.
Next put in a saddle vise and file off the top of the saddle.
Finishing with 400-600 sand paper.
Polish as needed. Get my height and intonation. Don't disturb the flat and square bottom of saddle.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have purchased used and new factory guitars, and have also taken delivery of just off the bench custom-built guitars - most all of them I took in for a set up at some point either due to settling in after a few months of first being strung up or the guitar coming from another location and settling into an entire different climate. Lots of good reasons to take advantage of a set up if needed. And, it is possible to find that it is just great for you right out of the box. In my experience it has little to do with the brand or the maker.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-02-2020, 04:53 PM

My new Furch is quite good right out of the box. Action and intonation are near perfect. Might have my local guy take a look just to see if I missed anything, though.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
My new Furch is quite good right out of the box. Action and intonation are near perfect. Might have my local guy take a look just to see if I missed anything, though.
Furch do well with factory set ups. Regardless, I do swap out the tusk saddle for bone and Lower the action a hair on the Furch guitars I have/had.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion