The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2017, 08:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-25-2017, 11:39 PM

I played through the Rosette for about an hour and liked the guitar sound, but the vocal projection was not in the same league as my Schertlers (Jam 400 and Jam 200) nor was the low end. That said, it was a very balanced sounding amp with none of the plastic/reedy sound of cheaper acoustic guitar amps. And the preamp EQ and FX were effective and very good sounding. I especially like the three parameters with the high and low pass for adjusting reverbs. Also the connectivity (in/outs) were great although I would have liked to see a dedicated sub out, and, it would be cool if Boogie would design a cabinet for low end extension of this amp. What this amp would be killer for is reasonable stage volume and then slaving into bigger house systems. I may buy one just for that purpose. I was impressed. I am going to bring one of my bigger powered PA cabs to the store and use the direct out into that and see how it sounds.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for your feedback. I did a solo acoustic gig with this and found the guitar and vocals to work very well - but I've never used a Schertler. Not sure if you're wishing for subwoofer lows for keys or bass guitar, but I've found the Rosette pumps out all the musical low end needed to faithfully represent acoustic guitar. Just my .02 of course.

You do have my curiosity peaked about the Jam 400 & 200 though. I'll have to check them out.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Well I just stumbled across the Mesa retail shop next to GC and SA in Hollywood and ... playing a relatively humble Taylor 214CE DLX (ES2 system) through it was a sensual experience indeed!

Maybe it's the Mesa rock heritage but for someone like me who loves to rock out on acoustic (think Bryan Adams or Peter Townshend solo) it was really a dream come true. And I started off with my mellow fingerpicking stuff before launching the rock attack and I was more than happy with that, too.

This is right after I heard the new Boss amp people are dying to love on another thread with a Taylor John Petrucci ($4,000 model) and couldn't find a good sound to save my life nor could the sales guy.

The ES2 equipped 214 through the Rosette was a real revelation! Yeah, the amp is on the expensive side of things but that "lower echelon" Taylor sang through it; for around $2,000 I was hearing everything I'd ever want to hear sonically for mellow or rocking tunes. I did not have a chance to try a mic through it. The 12V phantom power limitation kinda sucks cause it seems you'd need at least 24V phantom power to run an Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina through it which I own. I know I could buy an adapter but that's not thrilling.

I've had Acus amps on the mind but there is a real problem finding any place in the US that's knowledgeable about them or a place to try them out. I love the youtube demos but obviously it would be nice to try one in person before shelling out that kind of dough even with a return policy. Ironically, I wasn't all that blown away by the Rosette youtube demos I heard (didn't hear all the ones on this thread yet) but was in fact blown away in person.

I'd say the kind of player who would really get their money's worth out of one is someone who likes to push things a bit into the rock world. I'm sure it would also excel for any style; but so would just about any quality acoustic amp. I'm not sure all acoustic amps would be so flattering for more aggressive playing.

I really like the fact Mesa has a real US presence with an established sales and support network. Really tempted by this one!
Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Humble Taylor 214CE DLX? That is one of my favorite guitars ever. Not humble at all. Humble could be the non DLX version.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Well I just stumbled across the Mesa retail shop next to GC and SA in Hollywood and ... playing a relatively humble Taylor 214CE DLX (ES2 system) through it was a sensual experience indeed!

Maybe it's the Mesa rock heritage but for someone like me who loves to rock out on acoustic (think Bryan Adams or Peter Townshend solo) it was really a dream come true. And I started off with my mellow fingerpicking stuff before launching the rock attack and I was more than happy with that, too.

This is right after I heard the new Boss amp people are dying to love on another thread with a Taylor John Petrucci ($4,000 model) and couldn't find a good sound to save my life nor could the sales guy.

The ES2 equipped 214 through the Rosette was a real revelation! Yeah, the amp is on the expensive side of things but that "lower echelon" Taylor sang through it; for around $2,000 I was hearing everything I'd ever want to hear sonically for mellow or rocking tunes. I did not have a chance to try a mic through it. The 12V phantom power limitation kinda sucks cause it seems you'd need at least 24V phantom power to run an Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina through it which I own. I know I could buy an adapter but that's not thrilling.

I've had Acus amps on the mind but there is a real problem finding any place in the US that's knowledgeable about them or a place to try them out. I love the youtube demos but obviously it would be nice to try one in person before shelling out that kind of dough even with a return policy. Ironically, I wasn't all that blown away by the Rosette youtube demos I heard (didn't hear all the ones on this thread yet) but was in fact blown away in person.

I'd say the kind of player who would really get their money's worth out of one is someone who likes to push things a bit into the rock world. I'm sure it would also excel for any style; but so would just about any quality acoustic amp. I'm not sure all acoustic amps would be so flattering for more aggressive playing.

I really like the fact Mesa has a real US presence with an established sales and support network. Really tempted by this one!
The more I play this amp the more impressed I am... but I agree with you on the Phantom power. Why not give us 48V?
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-02-2017, 07:07 AM

I'm guessing this is probably an at least slight descendant of the Genz Benz Shenandoah since Andy Field is now employed by Mesa.

Unfortunately I haven't seen one around yet to check out.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
Humble Taylor 214CE DLX? That is one of my favorite guitars ever. Not humble at all. Humble could be the non DLX version.
Hey I did qualify it with "relatively." The whole time I was playing it through the Rosette I thought it had the former ES system, which made me even more stunned ... didn't realize what the DLX meant till after. Yeah, I didn't even hear it unplugged, but plugged ... fantastic combination. I'm picky and couldn't have asked for more at least for my own style(s).
Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
The more I play this amp the more impressed I am... but I agree with you on the Phantom power. Why not give us 48V?
I'm not even sure which usual suspect live mics run at 12V. I called Ear Trumpet Labs because I was researching Schertler amps which give you 24V. They seemed to think 24V would be fine for Ear Trumpet mics but not 12V. They mentioned there are like $30 phantom power adapters available, but that's still on the funky side for an amp that's this much of a beast. Acus gives you the full 48V.

So I have a few decisions to make cause I'd like another input for a guest star. Obviously, Mesa has made the decision to make their first acoustic offering ideal for one player ... as opposed to serving double duty as a small PA. Of course if it's an acoustic (non singing) duo, you're covered.

As for the decision to run Class D vs Class A, well, although Class A should be theoretically "superior," you can throw out theory with this one cause I can't quite imagine "better" at least for one acoustic guitar.

Regarding all the EQ options, well sometimes you have to swallow your pride and get someone who's an EQ savant to dial it in for you if that's not your strong suit - and it's not mine. That's what I would do. The guy at the shop was pretty good at it. What I heard was something akin to a really great channel strip in that trying different settings is forgiving, it gives you different flavors of great sounds as opposed to looking for one sweet spot. Like the one sweet spot I couldn't find on the Boss even with a guitar that costs 4 times as much with the same pickup system.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 AM

OK listened to the videos referenced here. All I can say is that Rosette sounded at least that good in person with the combo I described which is a more cost effective and simpler setup than those depicted. That is of course one man's opinion and while I don't have thousands of posts here, no one has heard me raving about ES2 systems before.

My favorite line in Maury's blog: "No need to force your rhythm hand into powering through the mix ... you can relax into your comfort zone and know that when you dig in, the amp is ready."

I should say that like him I also have not compared Rosette to AER and Schertler, but have heard the usual Fishmans, Boss, Marshall, Fender etc.

Headroom is kind of a big deal.

So I take it your usual SM 58s do fine with 12V? What about Sennheiser?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
So I take it your usual SM 58s do fine with 12V? What about Sennheiser?
Dynamic mics like the SM 58 do not use nor are they are not affected by phantom power . the phantom power only concerns condenser mics. Although some ribbon mics may be damaged with phantom power

But I would agree with those questioning the 12 v phantom power decision by Messa, and although one can get an outboard unit , seems like 24 (now the standard) would make it all the more appealing . While there are a number of mics that can run on 12 v there are also a number of mfgs that recommend 24 and up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 AM

I bet the internal electronic works on +/-12v power rails.

They did not want to add a separate +48v converter that would cost money and induce noise if not properly designed.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
You do have my curiosity peaked about the Jam 400 & 200 though. I'll have to check them out.
Maury you should definitely check those.

Schertler JAM and Accus amps are now VERY popular in Europe. Everywhere I go they sell more than AERs of Fishmans.

There are also chinese copies nowadays in France. they cost half the price of Schertler and Acus but they don't sound as good.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
I'm guessing this is probably an at least slight descendant of the Genz Benz Shenandoah since Andy Field is now employed by Mesa.

Unfortunately I haven't seen one around yet to check out.
After cruising Shenandoah a bit after reading your post I'd tend to agree. Big difference is I think the 300 watt Shenandoah weighs something like 50 pounds vs. 30 for the Rosette.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Schertler JAM and Accus amps are now VERY popular in Europe. Everywhere I go they sell more than AERs of Fishmans.

Cuki
Acus should consider another US distributor since the present one is terrible at answering questions, returning messages, and getting the amps into stores. I mean if you can't find one in LA where are you going to find one? Well, Dallas. That's the only place in America that seems to know about them. Acus does know how to do youtube demos right.

Conversely, the Mesa store had one set up at a nice height in a prominent position in their store and had paired it with an inexpensive but awesome sounding (through a Rosette at least) Taylor that showed it to best advantage. Obviously I'm still raving about it but I'm raving about it cause they gave great demo.

Last edited by troggg; 10-02-2017 at 11:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification