The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 AM

I have four guitars with LS Redwood tops, including a 12-string. They are very responsive guitars ... deep, rich basses ... warm trebles when played lightly, but get a bit bright when played more aggressively ... very clear and distinct note separation.

I don't have any other Redwood guitars, though I've played a few Goodalls. I wasn't very impressed by them, but I tend to prefer Spruce top Goodalls (though I have a very nice Cedar).
Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 AM

Hey Karl,

here's a Bashkin with LS top along with a bit more info on the LS tops:

http://guitarbench.com/index.php/200...strike-guitar/
Old 07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I'm suprized Tim hasn't chimed in. After photographing Songwriters LS I asked Tim "How big a difference?" He had me tap 5 -6 tops. Then an LS, WHOLEY CRUD!
I would like in on the Steak bet. I am betting on Brock
Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Poling View Post
Barre None the LS redwood tops are the best I have ever seen. If the best redwood tops are a "10" these are at least a "13".

So what's the upcharge for an LS top instead of the master Italian on my guitar?

I know, dream on brother

Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
I'm suprized Tim hasn't chimed in.
Oh, I'm sure he will soon.

He finished up my guitar yesterday.

Soooo, we know it plays ONE particular song well.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am in agreement with Broc. The LS tops that I have are light in weight and extremely stiff in both directions. The sustain is eeeeeeerie. I have yet to experience ANY top that even comes close. As far as the tone .... Well Healdsburg is in a few weeks and SongWriterfan's guitar (pictured above) will be there
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Is that guitar of conventional construction, Tim? I look forward to playing it and perhaps comparing the Sinker/Maple "0" I have just completed for the festival season. My guitar is twice as old as yours today, but the difference will be smaller by HGF. Or even by Montreal, if you're going. Yours looks very nice.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Default LS Top and Which Back and Side wood.

OH MAN, now I want some LS Badly!!! I've got one set coming for someone on the board ;-), but I want to get a couple of more sets! I'm drooling on my keyboard. I think I need a jumbo with an LS top for my very own. I have to stop reading this forum.

Soon maybe the economy will be such that I can move a guitar I have to make room for a Guitar with an LS top!

I'm curious, has anyone found the "Perfect Storm" of back and sides for LS tops? What are your favorite builds with it? Brock for you has it been your Drifter with LS and "The Tree"? You can PM me if you don't want the world to know you favorite builds. :-)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
OH MAN, now I want some LS Badly!!! I've got one set coming for someone on the board ;-), but I want to get a couple of more sets! I'm drooling on my keyboard. I think I need a jumbo with an LS top for my very own. I have to stop reading this forum.

Soon maybe the economy will be such that I can move a guitar I have to make room for a Guitar with an LS top!

I'm curious, has anyone found the "Perfect Storm" of back and sides for LS tops? What are your favorite builds with it? Brock for you has it been your Drifter with LS and "The Tree"? You can PM me if you don't want the world to know you favorite builds. :-)
My perfect storm has been LS Redwood over Cocobolo. I have built more of that combo than any other and it has never failed me.
I did an LS over Indian that was outstanding, and most recently LS over Koa that didnt move me as much as the rosewoods did.

So yeah, LS over COCO :-)
Kragenbrink Guitars Building Blog
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Is that guitar of conventional construction, Tim?
It's one of his single tops, not a double top, if that's what you mean.

PS for anybody attending Healdsburg in August. The guitar will be there (as Tim mentioned), and should be available on Saturday evening at the "jam" that's being held at the Holiday Inn Express that evening.

There's a thread about that jam in the Meetings and Gatherings section of this forum.

Please come to the jam if you can and play this instrument for us!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Is that guitar of conventional construction, Tim? I look forward to playing it and perhaps comparing the Sinker/Maple "0" I have just completed for the festival season. My guitar is twice as old as yours today, but the difference will be smaller by HGF. Or even by Montreal, if you're going. Yours looks very nice.
Bruce,
Regretfully, we are not going to Montreal but we will see you in HB and we will have this Walnut/LS redwood guitar there for you to test drive. Yes, its fairly conventional (at least of my way of building) but it does have a "Hollow Back", carbon fiber neck struts and some new experimental bracing
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM

forgive my ignorance, but are people suggesting the tone is better because it's been struck by lightning?

Or is it illegal to go and chop a redwood down, therefore lightning casulty is the only way to get it?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I'm curious, has anyone found the "Perfect Storm" of back and sides for LS tops? What are your favorite builds with it? :-)
I agree with Lance that Coco and Redwood are a great pairing. Coco, at least for me, has a powerful bass and paired with Redwood gives it exceptional balance. Walnut/Redwood is a proven and classic combo as well. Walnut can border on muddy or compressed and redwood lends a certain clarity to Walnut. I also built a BRW/LS MiniMac that was exceptional too.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM

I think they say it's LUCKY because it sounds so darn good. The lighting strike just adds to the story. From all I've read and heard it just sounds great! I've heard the same thing from about 6 builders! Some of the best top wood they have come across.

But lore and legend do make a great story too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
forgive my ignorance, but are people suggesting the tone is better because it's been struck by lightning?

Or is it illegal to go and chop a redwood down, therefore lightning casulty is the only way to get it?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Musical minimalist

I think from this day forward, threads about LS Redwood should be completely illegal and immoral

Lance and Tim both ruined me for life with "tapping sessions". Now I have to hear about it here too!!

I can't take it anymore!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion