The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you play better or worse in front of others?
I simply can't play in front of others. 15 8.02%
I play my best when nobody else is around. 52 27.81%
I do fine if others can hear me, but not a crowd. 17 9.09%
While I have played for money, I don't enjoy performing very much. 6 3.21%
An audience or no audience makes no difference to me. 22 11.76%
I do pretty well in front of an audience. 38 20.32%
I play my best in front of an audience. 37 19.79%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM

I have over the last 60 years, played and or sang, solo or in a group. I much prefer the group setting. A small group of us meet every month and the more I play with them the more comfortable I feel, which proves the point. An audience almost seems to fade into the background for me as I concentrate on making sure I play and sing my part, while trying to enjoy the song. For example, I would really like to join a Barbershop style group, but just haven't done it yet. I think it would help with harmonies and confidence as well as helping to keep my voice limber.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:35 PM

I think if you are not used to speaking in front of people it can be intimidating for most folks. It is not an easy task to play and sing, solo. Experience makes it look easy but its not. Some never get used to it, others can slide into a groove with it and makes no difference to them. All depends how we came from the factory.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Kind of a trick answer for me... taking both singing and playing into account, I play my best in front of an audience... but for straight playing single-note stuff, I think I play better when I'm alone or with another player.

I'd rather play in front of 10,000 people than a room full or relatives and friends! Now, THAT'S terrifying!!!
just beneath the surface,
but her words never matched the look in her eyes.
there was no love..."

(Untitled)
(J.S.Sherman
Old 06-28-2018, 11:15 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I used to play solo gigs a lot. One night the crippling fear hit me. I am ok with a trio or larger. Electric music is easier when I have a band to direct.
That "crippling fear" of stage fright you mentioned, is the demon & worry, of all solo performers, everywhere. Facing an unreceptive crowd when there's just YOU - Is where the rubber meets the road for performer courage! It's probably why so many "LOP" musicians, & singers, can support themselves, while those great sounding trios are getting $50 per player, with five piece bands making $300 per night? It's a tough world out there, trying to be a "professional" musician.... HawHawHaw!

Don

Last edited by Don Lampson; 06-28-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: mispelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion