The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 03:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Probably a redundant post but am looking for recommendations for finger picks. I am past the age where my fingernails will stand up to the wear. I am playing with thumb Pick and flesh but miss the crispness and volume of a hard surface.

So...what do you like?

Thanks,

Frank
Hello Frank,
I use a pair of modified ProPik Fingertone on my middle & ring finger. Somehow my index fingernail keeps on keepin' on.

What I love about the Fingertone units is the open loop, and how easy it is for me to file, polish and bend to the correct contact angle. Here's a couple of pictures:

The first shot shows a factory fresh on the left, and my tailored piece on the right. Note the loop has been thinned, etc.

This next shot shows notch I cut on the ring finger unit. A notch is also cut on the opposite side of the middle finger unit. They were cut to prevent them from clicking against each other:

This straight-on picture of the pair shows the slight bend I put on the loop so that it contacts the string 'flat-on', thus eliminating any scraping noise. No need to 'twist' or 'rotate' the whole pick to achieve clean articulation.

The natural nail on my index finger makes far more string noise than either fingerpick because I can't change the contact angle, so it scrapes the windings.

It's annoying, but I deal with it because what I CAN'T DO with finger picks is 'frail', so it's a compromise. If I were to go into the studio and it really was important, I'd just put plastic tips on all three and get the best tone possible.

It's always a work in progress.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Dunlop plastic thumb pick and two brass propiks, #3 blade. Brass is quieter than steel and I use saliva to help them stay on, there’s nothing better.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hello Frank,
I use a pair of modified ProPik Fingertone on my middle & ring finger.

I always enjoy and respect your contributions, but I couldn't help looking at your image and seeing two Donald ducks, complere with the customary hairstyle!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-22-2024 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
When I used finger and thumb picks I used the Dunlop white plastic ones. They were always too small so I had to heat them up and relax the bend so they would fit my largish fingers and thumb. I tried metal picks and hated the brash tone they produced. The plastic ones were much better for me.
Me too.

I like fingerpicks to "sound invisible" – no harshness or sizzle from metal scraping metal or the edge of a fingernail; just more volume.

I've tried everything: nails, nail hardener to extend my nails, metal picks, Alaska Piks, ProPiks (with nail hardener painted on the ends to mute the metal sound), and I kept coming back to the white plastic Dunlops I learned to play on 60 years ago.

With a little practice, any sound of plastic against metal is muted, with just an increase in volume. Listen to any of Robin Bullock's magnificent recordings for the sound of a guitar played with plastic fingerpicks and no pick noise.

I soften the fingerpicks with boiling water, shape them for each finger and number them. Depending on the bass response of the guitar I'm using, I use different thumbpicks with different tips and thicknesses and keep a set in each guitar case.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

I won't be of much help ( so what's new!) as I have finger/thumb nails like buffalo horn (!) which serve me well for guitar.

When I played Dobro in bluegrass bands, I used to use Pro-pic split grips and for a thumb pick, the most basic Dunlop thumb pick in clear plastic with a sharp point - ref 9035 I believe.
NOTE : As they were clear, I painted them with some red nail polish so I could find 'em!

'''''''''' I bought a camouflage tent - and put it up in the back yard ... I can't find it! (Stephen Wright).
Old 04-22-2024, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

I've used the Props, the Fred Kelly ones, and AlaskaPiks. My old nails are also subject to breakage.

For me, the AlaskaPiks fit the bill. I can trim them to the exact height I use with my nails, they stay on my fingers, can adjust the crispness of sound a little, and my D18 doesn't sound like a banjo when I play! That having been said, lots of folks like the Propiks.

BUT: I also use the GNC Hair and Nails stuff as well as 'Hard as Hoof' and Vaseline intensive care cream from time to time. Do they all work? Th GNC product seems to work pretty well and I think the others do to some extent as well....

Funny -- I believe it was Ed Gerhart who once said "You learn to play guitar to meet girls, but end up talking with other middle-aged men about your fingernails...".

As usual, ymmv.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post

Funny -- I believe it was Ed Gerhart who once said "You learn to play guitar to meet girls, but end up talking with other middle-aged men about your fingernails...".

As usual, ymmv.
Love this quote. Thank to everyone for this top-shelf information!! One of the reasons I love the AGF--so much knowledge and experience on this forum.

Frank
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 04-22-2024, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I've tried every metal finger pick I could find (and some plastic) over the last 50 years. I settled on finger's friend model from Cling Pro (canadian company).
They are the most comfortable picks I've ever used but also are pretty quiet for metal picks.

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 04-22-2024, 10:03 AM

I've been using these since 1965:

Old 04-22-2024, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Take a look at my review (and others) on this site of Tiptonic finger picks.

Larrivée OMV-40R
Larrivée OOO-40M
Guild M20
Breedlove Oregon Concert CE
Eastman E6OM
Yamaha CSF3M
Washburn D25S
Epiphone "Joe Pass" Emperor II
Squier Classic Vibes Stratocaster
Old 04-22-2024, 03:42 PM

I am amused at how many people said "I have tried them all and the winner is..." So, I have tried them all and the winner is

https://massstreetmusic.com/products...gerpicks-pair?

All metal fingerpicks I have ever used cut into my cuticles often making playing painful. Acri pics have large flanges on the sides which hold them on without cutting into my cuticles. They are large, well formed and sound great. And believe me, I have tried them all....
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-22-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
Tried them all and came back to cheapo dunlop .025 steel or brass
Same here, but I prefer the brass to steel. I also use Dunlop Ultex thumb picks.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-23-2024, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I use the old-style regular plastic picks for my fingers. I use boiling water to get a good fit. I don't like the feel or the sound of metal. The plastic last forever so I have several sets, the thumb pick is the only one that needs replaced now and again.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-23-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

As always, a dozen different opinions on what's best. It can get confusing. Just know that whatever you go with, none of them are magic, it takes some time to get used to them. I accumulated a box full of finger picks before I figured that out.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-23-2024, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
As always, a dozen different opinions on what's best. It can get confusing. Just know that whatever you go with, none of them are magic, it takes some time to get used to them. I accumulated a box full of finger picks before I figured that out.
That is so true.

And, I have been using Dunlop heavy ivoriod or tortise thumbpicks for decades. It took a while to get used to the long blade on these Dunlop thumb pics. But now I can almost flat pic with it. I noticed Tommy Emmanuel doing the same, but of course infinitely better ha ha ha.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/dunlop...ick-28667.html

The last seven or eight years I have also been using Fred Kelly freedom fingerpicks. They are very interesting pics and different from most. That is because they cover your nail, and have a slot that lets your bare flesh contact the String if you want to strum or pluck uphill…

https://fredkellypicks.com/product/p...om-finger-pick

I found that even their large size was not big enough, and I don’t have big fingers. So I called and talked to Fred‘s daughter who is very nice. And she informed me that you can special order even larger although they are still marked large.
Just a bit bigger but that is enough difference to make them a lot more comfortable

I just use one on my index, as the rest of my nails are able to take playing without wearing through. This leaves me enough fingers open to mess with Harmonica in the rack and what not

Worth checking out!

Have fun Frank

Paul.
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 04-23-2024 at 10:13 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion