The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Todd, at this point, do you think the hit to you is going to be as bad as you might have thought? Hope not!
There were victories and losses - the victories were sentimental in nature, the losses were financial and relatively large in some cases.

Lots of furniture etc gone - all my electronics/music/guitars are fine.

If I decide to re-open, it's going to be a much more simple operation, and possibly not in the same location.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Todd,
I’m glad that there were some victories. I hope you get some rest.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-22-2020, 07:34 PM

Stay safe and dry. Other people have said it better, but that’s what matters. If you can rescue material possessions safely (sounds like you did, some), great, but taking care of yourself and your people is key. Other stuff can be sorted out after the waters recede.

And keep playing; your clips sound great.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
And keep playing; your clips sound great.
That's very kind of you - I need to get back at it. I've picked up the guitar for about 5 minutes since Tuesday. Last time that happened was my last vacation 10 years ago!

Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Todd,
I’m glad that there were some victories. I hope you get some rest.
It's been a couple more hours of sleep each night, progressively. First night was pretty dismal.

It will get better when my mind quits spinning!

Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
It's been a couple more hours of sleep each night, progressively. First night was pretty dismal.

It will get better when my mind quits spinning!
Your situation made me think of this song. Maybe the ordeal could inspire you to do an original?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-23-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Your situation made me think of this song. Maybe the ordeal could inspire you to do an original?
What a talent he is - was just watching one of his YT concerts while on the Arc Trainer before this disaster started.

I've gone from playing 1 1/2 hours a day or so to not touching a guitar for 4 days while cleaning up the mess and moving things.

That's gotta change...and yes - there should be a song in there somewhere.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Todd -

Man, buddy, I've been living under a rock. I vaguely recall hearing about some dams breaking somewhere, but didn't make the connection. I'm saddened to hear that your business was in the path. One can only say so much to ease the sting of these "what else can possibly happen" scenarios, but you've got a lot of friends here on the forum betting on you to make it through.

Let me know if you need a friend with an SUV and a (small) trailer. It's only a 12 hour drive from Richmond. I've done enough drives to Omaha and back, that'll feel like a leisurely Sunday afternoon cruise!

Glad you weren't in harms way and to hear that the guitars and a lot of your personal items were spared. Take care, friend.

Austin
Old 05-25-2020, 05:03 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Todd -

Man, buddy, I've been living under a rock. I vaguely recall hearing about some dams breaking somewhere, but didn't make the connection. I'm saddened to hear that your business was in the path. One can only say so much to ease the sting of these "what else can possibly happen" scenarios, but you've got a lot of friends here on the forum betting on you to make it through.

Let me know if you need a friend with an SUV and a (small) trailer. It's only a 12 hour drive from Richmond. I've done enough drives to Omaha and back, that'll feel like a leisurely Sunday afternoon cruise!

Glad you weren't in harms way and to hear that the guitars and a lot of your personal items were spared. Take care, friend.

Austin
Incredibly kind of you my friend.

When I went in yesterday it looked like a bomb had gone off - dry wall cut up 4 feet on all walls - you can see right through to two other suites and the bathrooms. Carpet is pulled up and what's left of my largest equipment covered in plastic.

I'm going to take off on my bike this morning and try to clear my head. I normally only ride on the local 30 mile, one way rail trail because I can't bear the thought of being taken out by a texting driver, but unfortunately the rail trail is now compromised due to the flooding, so I'll have to find an alternate road route.

Life has certainly brought me to my knees.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Todd: I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It takes me back to a time in my life when I couldn't imagine things ever getting better, but they did. I hope that you've got a personal support group to which you can reach out. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you'll come out the other side...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Todd: I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It takes me back to a time in my life when I couldn't imagine things ever getting better, but they did. I hope that you've got a personal support group to which you can reach out. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you'll come out the other side...
Thanks. I have a few lifelong friends that are out of town that check in via phone.

To top things off, the last couple days it's become VERY obvious my Mom is starting to fail mentally. She's had chronic, lifelong anxiety and depression issues that are incredibly hard to deal with. Now her ability to reason at all is leaving her. Living here for 5 years with her has taken me down several notches already.

Might be time to just hang up the business - I don't think I can handle it all right now.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:39 AM

fitness1, I'm sorry you had to go through this.
Perhaps you already know this: be careful of mold. Breathing it can cause all kinds of health problems that you don't want now.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Might be time to just hang up the business - I don't think I can handle it all right now.
I've learned in life that it's all in our perception of the event, not the event itself. Don't mean to get preachy, but if you proceed in that direction, think of it as doors opening and not doors closing. Being a former Stauntonian myself, I'd be remiss if I didn't include this Jimmy Fortune tune...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-25-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Thanks. I have a few lifelong friends that are out of town that check in via phone.

To top things off, the last couple days it's become VERY obvious my Mom is starting to fail mentally. She's had chronic, lifelong anxiety and depression issues that are incredibly hard to deal with. Now her ability to reason at all is leaving her. Living here for 5 years with her has taken me down several notches already.

Might be time to just hang up the business - I don't think I can handle it all right now.
My goodness, Todd! I’m so sorry to learn that your Mom is declining as such. You’ve given so much to your parents. You have quite a burden to bear, now more than ever it seems. Words seem so inadequate. Please don’t make any rash decisions and stay strong!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic