The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Default What Sports Stadium/Arena would you like to see a game?

What's a sports stadium/arena that you would like to see a game at? Current or past. For example, old Yankee Stadium or new Yankee Stadium? The old Montreal Forum, Boston Garden, or Maple Gardens? I'm not talking about a historical team you'd like to see play but the stadium and the atmosphere.

Current: I'd like to see a Red Sox game in the Green Monster seats - first row. I've been to Fenway a few times but never in those seats. That would be awesome.

Past: Montreal Forum / Maple Leaf Gardens / Boston Garden in the 70s.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Current: I'd like to see a Red Sox game in the Green Monster seats - first row. I've been to Fenway a few times but never in those seats. That would be awesome.
Dru, Put this on your bucket list. I was prepared not to like it (too far away, too high) but it was awesome. If you pick a less popular opponent or maybe catch a rough weather day it is possible to buy the cheaper standing room tickets (which are pretty decent themselves) and then move down to the seats. I think I got as close as the second row that way

I've been to many of the places you mention.

If Augusta National is a stadium that is my choice.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

...my short list includes Fenway/Boston... Wrigley/Chicago....Oracle/San Fran....Wembley/London....Mile High/Denver..(Empower Field)...the Rose Bowl....to see a PAC 12 champ bowl game......and Madison Square Garden because I might see Spike Lee there...

Last edited by J Patrick; 05-28-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Very similar ones to yours Dru.

The old Montreal Forum is the only place I've ever seen the Canadiens play. As a kid I went there a half dozen times, but only once did I have seats in the coveted "red" section.
It was an awesome place.
The old Boston Garden had a great atmosphere too. I saw the Bruins play there of course, but also the Celtics. And many concerts (not that great a concert venue). The sports game I recall the most was Celtics vs. Milwaukee Bucs, with Lew Alcindor (pre KAJ) as the towering center flipping in all those hook shots. He was just sensational that night. It was during the pre-Bird Dave Cowens/J. Havlicek era.
Fenway Park of course. What a treat to see ball game there. It has to be one of the best stadiums around for old timey atmosphere.
The absolute WORST stadium I ever saw a game in was the old Foxboro stadium in the 70s, where the Patriots played. It wasn't only the team that was awful.

If I had a wish though, it would be this:
To be at Yankee Stadium for the last game of the American League pennant back in 2004.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Ditto that too! Have never done it, but I heard it's quite the experience.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post

The absolute WORST stadium I ever saw a game in was the old Foxboro stadium in the 70s, where the Patriots played. It wasn't only the team that was awful.
Saw more fights and drunks in one game in that place than in the rest of my events combined! Good thing I left my Giants hat at home, they would have killed me. Makes Philly look like Sesame Street.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Saw more fights and drunks in one game in that place than in the rest of my events combined! Good thing I left my Giants hat at home, they would have killed me. Makes Philly look like Sesame Street.
Yeah Bob, it was a nasty place. Cold steel seats, a wind that would swoop in from all sides and freeze you in place. And all those drunkards. The last game I saw there, with Plunkett at QB (the poor guy), the Pats lost 14-0...

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 05-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

New Raiders stadium in Vegas. If ticket prices hold, it'll be a while before I shell out that kind of dough.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Musical minimalist

Since the mid 70's when I was playing football, I've wanted to see the Broncos at Mile High.
It intensified during the Elway years, of course, but I never got the chance.

Probably not the type of response you were looking for, but now I'm hoping someday I can walk Augusta. I don't even care if there's anyone playing - just want to walk the course.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM

Went to the original Yankee Stadium as a kid, Fenway when our band did a recording session in Boston 25 years ago; would love to have gone to the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field - thing is, we moved to Brooklyn in 1957, in time for the Dodgers' last season (I was four then - just old enough to have a basic idea of the game)...

For the present, I'd like to take a roadtrip tour of the surviving historic minor-league stadiums before they bite the dust; we always try to catch a minor-league game whenever we go on the road - been to Hagerstown and Reading about 20 years ago, and if you're a fan of the game rather than the hoopla there's nothing like those old blue-collar-town ballparks to capture the spirit of baseball's golden age...
Old 05-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Field of Dreams. Would have been an MLB game there this season, but...
Old 05-19-2020, 05:59 PM

Being from the west coast, I'd want to see a game at Fenway, old Yankee or Tiger stadium, Wrigley, polo grounds, ebbetts field, etc.
My first game as a kid was Dodgers vs Cubs at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. It had a high screen in left field about 250ft. from home plate. This was while Dodger stadium was being built. I wouldn't mind going back to that.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 PM

The idea of being able to visit some of the fabled and gone baseball stadiums in some time machine intrigues me, not just to see them but to experience the game as it was when those stadiums were current.

The old Polo Grounds or Ebbets Field would be on that list, but also some others like the Baker Bowl in Philly or Briggs Field in Detroit.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-19-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

I would like to go to a Green Bay Packers game vs and /NFC North opponent at Lambeau Field in late November/ early December or Chicago Bears vs. NFC North at Soldier Field. Or Heinz Field Steelers vs AFC North again post-Thanksgiving.

Rivalry football in the outdoors, cold, inclement weather - the way it should be.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 05-20-2020, 05:37 AM

I'm going to go with the Roman Colosseum. Now that would be some action.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic