The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
The reason I posted it was because I thought it would make interesting conversation. 11 pages later, it appears I was right.

Let me clarify--I was not so much insulted as I was amused. Maybe I should have put "insulted" in quotes.
That's the attitude I like adopt whenever I can myself. Life's either funny or a tragedy, and I refuse to choose.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I was at an event with a live band recently, they sounded really good. Acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and an electric guitarist/fiddle player.

During one of the breaks, I saw the acoustic guitarist and said, "You've got a great acoustic tone, are you using anything special?"

He said, "Yeah--I'm using a chorus pedal. That and I'm using an expensive guitar. It's a $1,500 guitar instead of the $300 guitars I used to use. I'm a professional working musician, and professional working musicians only have one guitar, not like all those guys who have a room full of guitars and never play any gigs."

He looks and me and says, "You've probably got five guitars at home, don't you?"

"Well, just four actually..."

"That's what I figured" he added as he walked off.

Nice meeting you, too.

I guess Jackson Brown is just some poser.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=5240914

Currently in the Stable
1993 Martin D-28 1935 Special
1996 Taylor 914c
1996 Taylor 712-BRZ
2010 Martin Custom OM-28V
2011 Seagull S6 Cedar Top
2012 Martin Custom Shop Dread
Old 02-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Love the cartoon. Best post so far.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 AM

I take one Acoustic guitar to a gig. The other 4 stay at home.

I take one electric guitar to a gig. The other 6 stay at home.

I take one amp to a gig. The other 5 stay at home.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I always thought of the breaks as the time you talk to everyone you can, thank them for coming to the gig, staying etc. Making people feel they belong and are an important part of the night is what gets them to come back the next time you play. Filling a venue gives you room to negotiate for more money the next time you play it.

I've always thought a guitar player goes through 3 stages.
1 beginner, pretty humble , asks questions no attitude.
2 intermediate, begins to think they're pretty hot, asks no questions because they know it all, lots of attitude.
3 advanced, really humble, realizes they'll never learn it all, shares info and asks questions, no attitude.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I always thought of the breaks as the time you talk to everyone you can, thank them for coming to the gig, staying etc. Making people feel they belong and are an important part of the night is what gets them to come back the next time you play. Filling a venue gives you room to negotiate for more money the next time you play it.

2 intermediate, begins to think they're pretty hot, asks no questions because they know it all, lots of attitude.
3 advanced, really humble, realizes they'll never learn it all, shares info and asks questions, no attitude.
The better i get the more intermediate I feel. As a beginner, I didn't know what I didn't know. Now, 5 years in, I have some inkling of what i don't know, and that amount is staggering and insurmountable.

Oh, how I wish for blissful ignorance..............

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Good post. I've learned its very similar in the martial arts world too. Probably similar to most things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
The better i get the more intermediate I feel. As a beginner, I didn't know what I didn't know. Now, 5 years in, I have some inkling of what i don't know, and that amount is staggering and insurmountable.

You aren't kidding! I should stop learning because the more I learn, the dumber I get.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post

After 45 years of playing, I'm as "blissful" as one can be.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 PM

What exactly is a "professional musician?" Do you have to have a degree to be one? Are record sales guaranteed to increase when one is a professional musician vs someone who just happened to learn to play on their own and came up with a hit song or two? No, really, just what is the definition of being a professional musician these days?

The reason I ask is that I played in a rock band for a few year when I was much younger. My band was one of the most popular in my area of Texas. I was a drummer, but the drummer I had replaced was a hundred times more gifted and talented than I. Yet I was loud and loud was in at the time. Many, many more liked my playing than his as it fit the mood, the dance and the music at the time. We played every night of the week and frequently every weekend, too. I never felt I was a professional though, although several of my friends went on to play with big name groups in their careers. I was replaced in the band by drummers who could best me in a heartbeat, yet my own technique made me more memorable in the group than any of them. I suppose I could call them professionals, but I just never considered myself as such. It just seemed to be a title that had more of a negative to it than a positive to me at the time.

I used to watch guys as The Sir Douglas Quintet, The 5 Americans and The 13th Floor Elevators when we played in the Austin area at clubs as the New Orleans Club and The Jade Room in the 60's. Those guys always seemed to have time to speak to others and with no put down as to the other's skills or abilities. It was like, "Let me show you how I do this," when you spoke to Doug Sahm. No attitude other than being friendly and helpful.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
What exactly is a "professional musician?" Do you have to have a degree to be one? Are record sales guaranteed to increase when one is a professional musician vs someone who just happened to learn to play on their own and came up with a hit song or two? No, really, just what is the definition of being a professional musician these days?

A fair question and another oft discussed one here. Toby Walker is a full-time pro & is very active on the AGF and I tend to recognize and accept his definition (this is just roughly paraphrased from what I can recall) as a pro being someone that does music solely as a living and nothing else.

He considers guys like me hobbyists. FWIW, I gig out 2-4x a month and get paid to do so, but make my living doing something else. I'm okay with that designation too.

If I accept these definitions (& I do but not everybody does) than I don't now and never will have what it takes to be a pro. I like being home at night - MY HOME - chillin' w/my wife and dogs. Don't care to travel to make a living and I most certainly would have to in order to make a living playing music (even if I was good enough, which I'm not).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't really have a problem with what he said, he probably does get lots of advice from the cork sniffers
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Some good may come of this. In the future, if someone posts about having too many guitars and you disagree, just respond "JB". If they post about the benefits of only 1 guitar and you agree, just post "WN". Think of the capacity savings.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
I learned a long time ago that when someone reacts like that - you're not the one they are angry with; they could have had a terrible day, heard bad news, whatever the case is - they are just venting on you. Don't take it personally, and life is too short to waste on it.

Besides, if this person is really like that all the time, their professional career will not be very long. There's no way a person that much of an idiot could last in a social industry like music performance.

Next time laugh in his face and tell him John Mayer's got over 300 guitars, and he's no John Mayer.
I was with you until you suggested laughing in his face. No need to respond that way. Sometimes silence is best.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion