The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Absolutely beautiful, Joe...you've come so close to showing what it looks like in person...it's a stunning guitar...and you've posted some wonderful audio for us to listen to...thank you so much for sharing your journey with us...
Hi Bill,

Although I don't have much time for it and I'm not particularly good either, I love taking pictures. I think it's about the "laziest" art form in the world...

On the other hand, recording sound clips takes a lot of time and effort, probably because I'm more aware of what's good and what's bad.

I've already written a new original piece with this guitar and hope the journey continues.

Thanks for posting!

Joe
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Here are a few pictures of the lovely headstock.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM

It's cool seeing close up images, there's things I'm noticing that I didn't the first time round like the beveled edge on the headstock and the scalloped nut.

Love all those little details, it really adds to the final piece.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM

More details...

Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Joe

You do make a beautiful sound when you play - I've lost count of the number of replays Si Bheag Si Mhor's had since you posted it! No doubt the mojo's in your fingers, but such an elegant guitar must really inspire you

A lot's been said about that amazing Brazilian back & sides - I agree with all of it! - but the medullary rays in the spruce are mindblowing... and set off just right by the rosette.

If you wouldn't mind keeping the pictures & soundclips coming for the next 2 years or so, it might make the wait for mine a little more bearable!!

Jon B
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

From that close up, you can really see what a slacker Ray is . . .
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBarclay View Post
Joe

You do make a beautiful sound when you play - I've lost count of the number of replays Si Bheag Si Mhor's had since you posted it! No doubt the mojo's in your fingers, but such an elegant guitar must really inspire you

A lot's been said about that amazing Brazilian back & sides - I agree with all of it! - but the medullary rays in the spruce are mindblowing... and set off just right by the rosette.

If you wouldn't mind keeping the pictures & soundclips coming for the next 2 years or so, it might make the wait for mine a little more bearable!!

Jon B
Hi Jon,

Thanks so much for your feedback -- and congratulations on your upcoming build.

My Kraut OM gave me very satisfying tones right out of the box. I've been making short clips of my several guitars under very consistent conditions -- and none of them compares to this OM.

It is a very elegant and modern instrument -- but when I hold it and play it, I completely forget about the looks... ;

I'll be sure to post new soundclips from time to time, with a more "serious" effort coming up at some point as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
From that close up, you can really see what a slacker Ray is . . .
I was testing the macro function on my camera...

The craftsmanship is as flawless as humanly/reasonably possible.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM

Just added another sound clip of a fingerstyle sketch I came up with.

Guitar is tuned in CGCFGC, capo 4.

http://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts...7-kraut-om-brw

Features a couple of mistakes (not easy to play the 16th fret despite the elevated fretboard) and some "slapping" during the closing riff...
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 AM

Your playing and arrangements are just wonderful. And the recording quality is terrific too.

And this sounds like a simply fabulous guitar. Very versatile. As you said in a different thread, it seems to have many of the best qualities of a number of different guitars. In this last clip it is doing a wonderful job of sounding almost like a classical guitar.

I have not played a Kraut in person, but given what I'm hearing here I could almost see selling my Goodall and Martin and replacing both with one of these!

Your flatpicking clip is wonderful too - really really nice. Though I primarily play fingerstyle and some classical, I've been flatpicking a lot more lately, and I think I'm enjoying my Goodall almost more as a flatpicking guitar than for fingerstyle. Actually, I'm thinking a lot of guitars (including, or maybe especially, some of the really fine fingerstyle guitars) probably sound fabulous with a flatpick, especially when played with some finesse.

But back to your playing: You certainly play wonderfully - it is humbling to listen to your music! Do you play professionally (and have you been producing CD's and such for sale?)?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Just added another sound clip of a fingerstyle sketch I came up with.

Guitar is tuned in CGCFGC, capo 4.

http://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts...7-kraut-om-brw

Features a couple of mistakes (not easy to play the 16th fret despite the elevated fretboard) and some "slapping" during the closing riff...
My goodness!! You really need to put these up on iTunes or something...they're just wonderful!

Great job, keep em comin!!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post
My goodness!! You really need to put these up on iTunes or something...they're just wonderful!

Great job, keep em comin!!
Thanks Brad!

In order to keep things creative on my clips, I allow myself the occasional mistake... The little bit of polishing that's missing takes a lot of work.

That's why I insist that these are "sketches". Once they get to iTunes, they'll be squeaky clean -- and they'll have an actual title...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM

I am a huge fan of Ray's guitars, hopefully will be commissioning one soon. This is my favorite guitar that he has done to date. The inlay work, the fan fret, and the sound is just incredible. It definitely gave me ideas for mine.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Your playing and arrangements are just wonderful. And the recording quality is terrific too.

And this sounds like a simply fabulous guitar. Very versatile. As you said in a different thread, it seems to have many of the best qualities of a number of different guitars. In this last clip it is doing a wonderful job of sounding almost like a classical guitar.

I have not played a Kraut in person, but given what I'm hearing here I could almost see selling my Goodall and Martin and replacing both with one of these!

Your flatpicking clip is wonderful too - really really nice. Though I primarily play fingerstyle and some classical, I've been flatpicking a lot more lately, and I think I'm enjoying my Goodall almost more as a flatpicking guitar than for fingerstyle. Actually, I'm thinking a lot of guitars (including, or maybe especially, some of the really fine fingerstyle guitars) probably sound fabulous with a flatpick, especially when played with some finesse.

But back to your playing: You certainly play wonderfully - it is humbling to listen to your music! Do you play professionally (and have you been producing CD's and such for sale?)?
Thanks for your kind words!

I heard you play and I think a fine player like you would definitely enjoy (and benefit from) a guitar like this one.

While my guitars all have a great setup, I discovered a new world when I played barre chords up the neck on the Kraut. I didn't know an acoustic guitar could sound that clear and punchy up there.

As for playing professionally, I understood from a very young age that I would eventually be responsible for my parents' well being (they will soon retire with next to no pension plan). While my folks were always very supportive of my music education, I ultimately chose to go to business school.

Now that my business career is set, I am contemplating a second career in music -- but I have a lot of catching up to do. If I practice 5-6 hours a day for a couple of years straight, I'd be in decent shape to perform.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japple View Post
I am a huge fan of Ray's guitars, hopefully will be commissioning one soon. This is my favorite guitar that he has done to date. The inlay work, the fan fret, and the sound is just incredible. It definitely gave me ideas for mine.
Go for it!

I can get along with pretty much any rosewood/spruce guitar -- but this OM has truly surpassed my expectations.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop