Old 05-25-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Really Right Stuff is fantastic equipment - but also $$$
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I have a bunch of their products.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:49 PM

https://www.riestripod.com

I have a couple of their tripods. The one I have from 1935 wouldn't suffice but a modern model (like the J100/J250 I also have) would work; an A100 series would be even more rigid and better for telescope use.

Whatever you get, make sure it is more that tall enough (taller than needed to ensure it is not too short, depending on the angle you will be viewing upwards). And, don't use the center column if the tripod has one, especially if the binoculars/telescope is fairly heavy, that will just make any potential motion blur much worse, and, also raises the CoG above the yoke, possibly creating an unstable platform.

Telescopes require a good, solid base, otherwise it could cause you to have headaches, or worse.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
8X binoculars are the equivalent of a 400mm lens on a full-frame (or 35mm) camera. Stability is just as much a challenge for binoculars.
Yup. I had a custom mount made for my Leica Trinovid 8x50BA 20 years ago. Can't hold them steady for too long, otherwise, for stargazing.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I've owned a few over the years for photography and a spotting scope for target shooting. Stability can be important for some applications where breeze is a factor. If so, an inexpensive (Dollar Tree/Home Depot) carabiner is great for hanging your backpack/camelback underneath. Added weight helps a lot.

Compact and light weight can be important if you're hiking with it. In that case, height (or lack of it) might enter into the equation if you end up crouching to get at the eyepieces.

You know anyone with a cheapie you can borrow for a couple days? Anything might happen:

- Recognize the shortcomings and decide to pay up for specific features.
- Realize that it works great for binocular viewing.
- How quickly can you deploy it from fully closed to open and working?

I meet plenty of people tromping around with tripods at the wetlands, wildlife sanctuaries and waterfall hikes I frequent. Unless they are actively busy spotting or taking pictures, none would mind a couple questions about what they like/dislike in a tripod.
Yes, I mounted binoculars a couple of days ago to what looked like a cheap tripod (friend); however, you can't adjust the angle of the binoculars so no looking at the sky. The arm level was very smooth though and I could sweep from right to left easily. It was a good test.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Compact and light weight can be important if you're hiking with it. In that case, height (or lack of it) might enter into the equation if you end up crouching to get at the eyepieces.
Not necessarily in Dru's case, but going in the other direction, sometimes a nice, Tall-ableŽ tripod can be too short. One of my tripods is a mid '80s Gitzo 224; it gets quite tall when using its double extension center column (71 1/2", not including whatever head is mounted to it). At the time, I had a Bogen 3039 on it (fairly tall in itself, another 4 1/2"), so we're talking 76" total height. On e one trip to Yosemite I was below Bridal Veil Falls in the creek on the far side of the observation deck. When I set up to make a particular photograph, even with the tripod at full extension, I really needed a few inches more height to get the composition just as I wanted. I was sitting on a boulder with the tripod legs in the creek.

So when Dru is gazing up at the Perseids through his binoculars, that little bit of extra height might come in handy.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Not necessarily in Dru's case, but going in the other direction, sometimes a nice, Tall-ableŽ tripod can be too short. One of my tripods is a mid '80s Gitzo 224; it gets quite tall when using its double extension center column (71 1/2", not including whatever head is mounted to it). At the time, I had a Bogen 3039 on it (fairly tall in itself, another 4 1/2"), so we're talking 76" total height. On e one trip to Yosemite I was below Bridal Veil Falls in the creek on the far side of the observation deck. When I set up to make a particular photograph, even with the tripod at full extension, I really needed a few inches more height to get the composition just as I wanted. I was sitting on a boulder with the tripod legs in the creek.

So when Dru is gazing up at the Perseids through his binoculars, that little bit of extra height might come in handy.
Good post, Jeff. I don't need to worry about that ... until I do, lol.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:08 AM

There are two ways to buy a tripod.

1: Method A.
2: Method B.

Method A. Start by buying something inexpensive which will probably do the job. Much frustration later, throw that away and spend three times as much on a not-so-cheap copy of a quality brand. When that doesn't work either, throw it away and buy a good one.

Method B. Buy a good one in the first place.

Method B gets you there faster and it is much cheaper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic