The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I played a Bourgeois for the first, and only time about 20 years ago. Not sure of the model, but it was a dread, and it remains one of the most lifeless and unimpressive guitars I've ever held.

Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression...
I've played several Bourgeois guitars and they've all been the most full of life and impressive guitars I've ever played! You must've gotten hold of a real dud! My slope D Banjo Killer is the most balanced guitar I've ever played and has a killer tone and all of the volume you'd ever need! Full of clarity and even when you're playing super fast, the individual notes ring out!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 AM

I’ll say it again...I don’t believe 95% of the guitar-buying public knows Eastman or Bourgeois from the man in the moon. Those who do, will decide whether they want off shore or American. Those who don’t will mostly buy the offshore if it’s a great bang for the buck.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I've played several Bourgeois guitars and they've all been the most full of life and impressive guitars I've ever played! You must've gotten hold of a real dud! My slope D Banjo Killer is the most balanced guitar I've ever played and has a killer tone and all of the volume you'd ever need! Full of clarity and even when you're playing super fast, the individual notes ring out!
Well anything is possible , but it should also be noted that it has been scientifically demonstrated over and over again, that human memory is one of the most flawed and unreliable sources of recollection there is, even over a short period of time
But far more importantly:
I would think most Guitar manufactures dream of coming across this lifeless and unimpressive

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well anything is possible , but it should also be noted that it has been scientifically demonstrated over and over again, that human memory is one of the most flawed and unreliable sources of recollection there is, even over a short period of time
I would think most Guitar manufactures dream of coming across this lifeless and unimpressive

Thanks, KevWind. That is an incredibly beautiful example of tone and artistry.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I played a Bourgeois for the first, and only time about 20 years ago. Not sure of the model, but it was a dread, and it remains one of the most lifeless and unimpressive guitars I've ever held.

Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression...
Can you imagine someone saying: I played a Martin for the first, and only time about 20 years ago. Not sure of the model, but it was a dread, and it remains one of the most lifeless and unimpressive guitars I've ever held.

Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression...???

It makes absolutely no sense.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:11 AM

As a prior readed stated -dont wory about the chinese models devaluing your purchase . Guild did it ( didnt hurt them ) PRS did it ( didnt hurt them )
gives someone a name product at a lower cost -but serious players know the difference - Some companies do this for different reasons -basically to improve the bottom line , keeps them in the red .

I would always say -buy it used , not new -let someone else take the hit
Their are so many guitars now on the market -that its over flooded
and their are some great deals out their . Just stipulate that it be in
excellent condition and from a smoke free home with no dings, scratches etc.
dont be afraid to ask the sellers for detailed pictures etc.

Good hunting !
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 AM

Bourgeois makes a beautiful guitar. I've played many that were very impressive. But, like all makers, I've played several that were not impressive. That said, they were all priced at the very top of the market for such guitars. I'm afraid the prices are too high for me to consider for myself. I don't usually think of instruments as investments. But, if one were to consider them as such, I suspect you'd conclude you were buying at the top of the market. I think the effect of the Eastman partnership could go either way for the current stock of instruments for sale. They might increase in value if the quality and tone of the new models decreases. They might decrease in value if the comparable Eastman made products are higher that expectations in terms of quality. I think the bottom line is that Dana Bourgeois is making a strategic business decision that will allow him to capitalize on his good name and likely provide for his eventual retirement. Evidently, an internal transition of the business is not likely; for example: as Bob Taylor has done with Andy Powers.

Last edited by martingitdave; 11-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

That sounds so good!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:54 AM

If Bourgeois guitars are your thing, there's no reason not to buy one.

It's a bit like saying you'd never buy a Fender American series just because Squire Bullets exist.

There's a couple of Big Deal Nashville session guys who play Squires . . .
Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Can you imagine someone saying: I played a Martin for the first, and only time about 20 years ago. Not sure of the model, but it was a dread, and it remains one of the most lifeless and unimpressive guitars I've ever held.

Unfortunately, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression...???

It makes absolutely no sense.
Actually, no, I can't imagine someone saying that, primarily because you can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting a Martin dealer.

In the last 25 years, though, I think I've stepped foot into only three or four Bourgeois dealers, and I've visited a lot of guitar stores

Bourgeois has only two dealers in the entire state of Florida, and neither of them are within a three hour drive. One of them deals only in left-handed guitars, so that leaves me a single option. I'd have to drive five hours to Miami to try one of only seven guitars they have in stock, and that's hardly compelling, especially when you consider that two of those guitars are listed at over $13K and $18K.

Consequently, it's far easier to test-drive Martins. There are 14 Martin dealers within 100 miles of my driveway.

Hey, I've no doubt that people love their Bourgeois guitars. They must have something going for them to have such a fan base. But, for me, the one I played was a complete waste of time, and opportunities to play other examples have just never really materialized, and my one experience with the brand was pretty negative...
Old 11-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, no, I can't imagine someone saying that, primarily because you can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting a Martin dealer.

In the last 25 years, though, I think I've stepped foot into only three or four Bourgeois dealers, and I've visited a lot of guitar stores

Bourgeois has only two dealers in the entire state of Florida, and neither of them are within a three hour drive. One of them deals only in left-handed guitars, so that leaves me a single option. I'd have to drive five hours to Miami to try one of only seven guitars they have in stock, and that's hardly compelling, especially when you consider that two of those guitars are listed at over $13K and $18K.

Consequently, it's far easier to test-drive Martins. There are 14 Martin dealers within 100 miles of my driveway.

Hey, I've no doubt that people love their Bourgeois guitars. They must have something going for them to have such a fan base. But, for me, the one I played was a complete waste of time, and opportunities to play other examples have just never really materialized, and my one experience with the brand was pretty negative...

For whatever it's worth, and most of you already know this, but I've found that when demoing really nice guitars, it takes a good bit of playing before that guitar sonically wakes up. The physics of wood and steel seem to make this so.

So I try to put my immediate first impressions aside, hard as that might be. After a while, I get to hear the true sound, which is inevitably better than I first supposed.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
For whatever it's worth, and most of you already know this, but I've found that when demoing really nice guitars, it takes a good bit of playing before that guitar sonically wakes up. The physics of wood and steel seem to make this so.
The Bourgeois I played wasn't a new instrument. It was a few years old and certainly would've had the opportunity to enjoy that sonic awakening.

I played the guitar for well over an hour, simply because I'd heard such good things about the brand...
Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The Bourgeois I played wasn't a new instrument. It was a few years old and certainly would've had the opportunity to enjoy that sonic awakening.

I played the guitar for well over an hour, simply because I'd heard such good things about the brand...
All I can tell you is to not base your opinion of Bourgeois guitars based on one model you played 20 years ago. When I was hunting for a Martin HD-28 back in June, I had all of the models the shop had on the floor sitting around me trying them out. The dealer then brought one from out of the back and it was sad! Horrible tone and the sound felt like it was trapped inside the guitar. I tried that same guitar multiple times over the course of an hour or so and it was pitiful every time, while the rest sounded great! I went home with a Martin that day, because I put that one back up and picked the best model that I found. I, personally have never played a bad sounding Bourgeois, but I won't say that aren't any out there.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:10 PM

If I could live multiple lives, it would be interesting to go through one of them relying 100% on first impressions.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
If I could live multiple lives, it would be interesting to go through one of them relying 100% on first impressions.
You're braver than I am!!!

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion