The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-15-2020, 04:36 AM

Default Any JBL raw frame speaker building nuts out there?

That caught the bug and spent every dime they made buying JBL raw frame speakers and built umpteen different speaker enclosures chasing that elusive sound in the 70's?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM

I would post a pic of mine but cannot figure out how to post pics
Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
That caught the bug and spent every dime they made buying JBL raw frame speakers and built umpteen different speaker enclosures chasing that elusive sound in the 70's?
I have a pair of these, the model 4315. Factory made from stock parts, save for the crossover network which was designed after a JBL engineer decided to attend a recording session to see how their professional products were actually being used. Before that time, nobody at the company had ever done that.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 AM

My last system was a tower version of the L-300 using the 136 H with Passive Radiators in 5.7 cf enclosures, the 375 mid range driver w. HL- 89 Horm Lens , and 075 tweets under slant plates.

R.R.,Those 4315's look great and were not even out when I stopped the addiction. It's hard to imagine JBL wouldn't be all over the real life function of the 4315's on site and in a recording studio situation. A whole lot of people were not exactly happy when JBL sold out to H.K.

quindecima, I have the same problem posting picks. What system do/did you have?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
My last system was a tower version of the L-300 using the 136 H with Passive Radiators in 5.7 cf enclosures, the 375 mid range driver w. HL- 89 Horm Lens , and 075 tweets under slant plates.

R.R.,Those 4315's look great and were not even out when I stopped the addiction. It's hard to imagine JBL wouldn't be all over the real life function of the 4315's on site and in a recording studio situation. A whole lot of people were not exactly happy when JBL sold out to H.K.

quindecima, I have the same problem posting picks. What system do/did you have?
I had a system like yours as well but without the passive radiators & slant lenses. JBL was bought and sold by H.K. more than once. For a short period in the 70's, they were owned by Beatrice Foods. IMHO, the big change at JBL occurred after H.K. founder, Sid Harmon's death in 2011.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 PM

I have what JBL called the SR8 system that I got in the ‘60s.

The components [if I remember the numbers correctly]:
LE15A Woofer
PR15 Passive Radiator
075 Ring Radiator
375 Compression Driver
HL93 Acoustic Horn/Lens
LX-5 Low Frequency Crossover
N7000 High Frequency Crossover

I have had them in various self-built cabinets over the years, some of which were made from blueprints that used to be available from JBL. I currently have them in smaller cabinets just to get them crammed into a reasonable sized room.

I have had the woofers re-coned and then a second round of surround re-foaming.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endpin View Post
I have what JBL called the SR8 system that I got in the ‘60s.

The components [if I remember the numbers correctly]:
LE15A Woofer
PR15 Passive Radiator
075 Ring Radiator
375 Compression Driver
HL93 Acoustic Horn/Lens
LX-5 Low Frequency Crossover
N7000 High Frequency Crossover

I have had them in various self-built cabinets over the years, some of which were made from blueprints that used to be available from JBL. I currently have them in smaller cabinets just to get them crammed into a reasonable sized room.

I have had the woofers re-coned and then a second round of surround re-foaming.
That was quite a system in the 60's, and the same drivers as the Paragon. I used the LE15's with PR's, and Electro voice for the highs (couldn't afford JBL's yet) in 1976. The 075's came in 1977. The best I did with electronics was a Marantz 240m amp, and a 3600 pre amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN