The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-20-2023, 02:09 PM

Default Issues with Zoom

Since there is no "Online Sound" section of this forum, I'm posting this here.

I'm having a problem with Zoom on a new Windows 11 PC. I'm going to ask that you indulge me and read this before telling me about the standard Zoom settings. I have been doing online music with Zoom for nearly three years.

The situation is this: Using all the same settings I've been using for the past three years, Zoom will handle a speaking voice just fine, but not guitar. I have tried the following:

A mic through an audio interface connected via USB.
A mic through an analog mixer connected via USB.
A mic through a digital mixer connected via USB, through a DAW (Studio One 6) and OBS. The DAW output is connected to OBS via the Reastream VST plugin, and OBS is connected to Zoom via a virtual cable or an NDI virtual connection.

All of this worked just fine on my previous Windows 10 system.

I have no sound issues with the DAW or OBS, just Zoom. I can record via Studio One or OBS without an issue. I can record via Studio One into OBS without a problem. I can use my laptop and analog mixer, with the same USB cable used above, without an issue.

I have scoured every online forum I could find, and while I've found others with the same issue and no resolution. Since I do not have a paid Zoom account I can't open a real support ticket--I could only send a short text message that didn't have enough space to describe the problem, and I have not received a response.

As I said, above, I have all the correct settings (Original Sound, etc.).

Any ideas?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-20-2023, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Since there is no "Online Sound" section of this forum, I'm posting this here.

I'm having a problem with Zoom on a new Windows 11 PC. I'm going to ask that you indulge me and read this before telling me about the standard Zoom settings. I have been doing online music with Zoom for nearly three years.

The situation is this: Using all the same settings I've been using for the past three years, Zoom will handle a speaking voice just fine, but not guitar. I have tried the following:

A mic through an audio interface connected via USB.
A mic through an analog mixer connected via USB.
A mic through a digital mixer connected via USB, through a DAW (Studio One 6) and OBS. The DAW output is connected to OBS via the Reastream VST plugin, and OBS is connected to Zoom via a virtual cable or an NDI virtual connection.

All of this worked just fine on my previous Windows 10 system.

I have no sound issues with the DAW or OBS, just Zoom. I can record via Studio One or OBS without an issue. I can record via Studio One into OBS without a problem. I can use my laptop and analog mixer, with the same USB cable used above, without an issue.

I have scoured every online forum I could find, and while I've found others with the same issue and no resolution. Since I do not have a paid Zoom account I can't open a real support ticket--I could only send a short text message that didn't have enough space to describe the problem, and I have not received a response.

As I said, above, I have all the correct settings (Original Sound, etc.).

Any ideas?
Maybe first clarify what ""Zoom will handle a speaking voice just fine, but not guitar."" means
Especially if you have one mic for both voice and guitar

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-20-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe first clarify what ""Zoom will handle a speaking voice just fine, but not guitar."" means
Especially if you have one mic for both voice and guitar
I typically use multiple mics - one for voice, one for acoustic guitar, and on for my electric guitar amp. The results with all are the same. Vocals are fine, but the guitar produces nearly no sound in Zoom. When testing the mic, when I play guitar, Zoom will not really "hear" it. I will only get a few "clicks." This is with the guitar the proper distance from the mic.

As I said, everything worked fine on my previous system, and works fine on my laptop. Same Zoom configuration, etc.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-20-2023, 06:02 PM

I've participated a lot in Zoom open mics, and the day job uses MS Teams, pretty much the same. They're competitors. Both outfits constantly tweak their software to improve their ability to favor human speech over everything else. The software is getting better and better at doing that, which means that it's getting better and better at getting rid of your guitar and everything else that isn't human speech. That even includes sustained vocal notes. Seems to be getting worse by the day for open mikers and people who give or take lessons. If it's just a one-to-one, though, give Skype a try. Last time I checked, that was still usable.

Couch Standards
Old 01-20-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've participated a lot in Zoom open mics, and the day job uses MS Teams, pretty much the same. They're competitors. Both outfits constantly tweak their software to improve their ability to favor human speech over everything else. The software is getting better and better at doing that, which means that it's getting better and better at getting rid of your guitar and everything else that isn't human speech. That even includes sustained vocal notes. Seems to be getting worse by the day for open mikers and people who give or take lessons. If it's just a one-to-one, though, give Skype a try. Last time I checked, that was still usable.
Zoom has actually made great strides in supporting music, and typically works quite well. This is a specific issue I'm having, and only on one system.

I participate in an online open mic, so switching to something else is not an option.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-20-2023, 10:29 PM

I don't use Zoom on Windows, but I do know that Zoom only supports mono or stereo audio (you have to set it to Stereo in the advanced audio settings, otherwise it defaults to mono). What this means is that any interface that has more than 2 "outs" will not work properly without the ability to bus everything to the 1st 2 channels of output so Zoom can see it.

Generally interfaces have a "host" or "computer" out assigned for every available input. This is how a DAW sees each signal separately. So input 1 is routed to "host 1". Then your DAW sees that on "interface channel 1", and this continues through all your inputs.

It sounds like Zoom may only be input 1. So make sure you set it to stereo mode & turn on the "original audio" setting so it turns off all that auto sensing, noise suppression stuff that interferes with music.

What interface are you using & can you route internally to a stereo out so Zoom can get signal from all your inputs?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-20-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I don't use Zoom on Windows, but I do know that Zoom only supports mono or stereo audio (you have to set it to Stereo in the advanced audio settings, otherwise it defaults to mono). What this means is that any interface that has more than 2 "outs" will not work properly without the ability to bus everything to the 1st 2 channels of output so Zoom can see it.

Generally interfaces have a "host" or "computer" out assigned for every available input. This is how a DAW sees each signal separately. So input 1 is routed to "host 1". Then your DAW sees that on "interface channel 1", and this continues through all your inputs.

It sounds like Zoom may only be input 1. So make sure you set it to stereo mode & turn on the "original audio" setting so it turns off all that auto sensing, noise suppression stuff that interferes with music.

What interface are you using & can you route internally to a stereo out so Zoom can get signal from all your inputs?
The settings are exactly the same on three computers. The problem is only with one and only with Zoom.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-21-2023, 12:28 AM

The shop I get computer service and maintenance from does not trust Windows 11 and does not use it on their in house Windows equipment. They advised me not to use it until the bugs shake out.

The problem may be Windows 11. Good luck getting Windows 11 to admit it.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Zoom has actually made great strides in supporting music, and typically works quite well. This is a specific issue I'm having, and only on one system.

I participate in an online open mic, so switching to something else is not an option.
The great strides are something I've yet to experience, but I'm trying to keep an optimistic outlook and an open mind in spite of what I've experienced just lately. Here's hoping!

Couch Standards
Old 01-21-2023, 11:33 AM

All of what I write below is from my experiences a few years ago so may not apply now. But here it is anyway....

I tried playing and singing over Zoom a few times, and the results were initially disappointing. By default Zoom applies a lot of compression, which wasn't much good for what I was doing. But after some digging I found some settings to use the sound unaltered, and, according to the people on the other end it was much better. 'Original sound' appears to be the key phrase.

This article may help: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...s-in-a-meeting
Old 01-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Guys the OP stated he was doing it previously with no issues before the new PC
and that he was aware of things like using his (I assume) Audio interface for the Zoom mic input and audio out etc. and I assume how to enable "Original Sound" for his interface, which takes Zoom speech filtering algorithms out of the signal

At least that is what I am assuming from his posts.

During covid I too was on an online virtual open mic and Zoom was "usable" for singing an playing . And If I set my inputs on my interface correctly, the guitar and vocal levels were balanced.. The only issue I had was at times the marginal speed of my ISP would result in dropouts or breaks in the streaming flow.

So it then seems to me to possibly be

#1 A bad download of the Zoom app on new PC ? or Zoom having a glitch with Windows 11 ?
#2 A bad download of Windows 11 and it is somehow only thru putting one channel ?
# 3 some new selection option that needs to be made in windows 11
Beyond that I don't use Windows and have not been on Zoom for over a year and half

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Guys the OP stated he was doing it previously with no issues before the new PC
and that he was aware of things like using his (I assume) Audio interface for the Zoom mic input and audio out etc. and I assume how to enable "Original Sound" for his interface, which takes Zoom speech filtering algorithms out of the signal

At least that is what I am assuming from his posts.
Correct.

Quote:
So it then seems to me to possibly be

#1 A bad download of the Zoom app on new PC ? or Zoom having a glitch with Windows 11 ?
#2 A bad download of Windows 11 and it is somehow only thru putting one channel ?
# 3 some new selection option that needs to be made in windows 11
Beyond that I don't use Windows and have not been on Zoom for over a year and half
All of the above are, to some degree, possible.

1. I have removed Zoom using their uninstall utility that is supposed to remove it completely.
2. Windows was installed from a new, factory CD. Others are using it successfully on Windows 11. Also, the issue has nothing to do with separate channels. It happens with a single mic or multiple mics, with Zoom set to stereo or mono. The issue is only with Zoom, not the other sound applications I use (OBS and Studio One).
3. If there is an option in Windows 11 to fix this I haven't found it.

BTW, thanks for the succinct description of the issue.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-21-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The settings are exactly the same on three computers. The problem is only with one and only with Zoom.

Then double check your Windows audio settings. I've heard that, especially Win11, can reserve the sound device for itself & not release to other apps. This has been an issue with some DAWs & Win11.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-21-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_Mac View Post
All of what I write below is from my experiences a few years ago so may not apply now. But here it is anyway....

I tried playing and singing over Zoom a few times, and the results were initially disappointing. By default Zoom applies a lot of compression, which wasn't much good for what I was doing. But after some digging I found some settings to use the sound unaltered, and, according to the people on the other end it was much better. 'Original sound' appears to be the key phrase.

This article may help: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...s-in-a-meeting
I agree. To the OP: Have you selected the “original sound” setting in Zoom. This is critical for acoustic guitar open mics.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-22-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I agree. To the OP: Have you selected the “original sound” setting in Zoom. This is critical for acoustic guitar open mics.
As I said in my original post, yes. I have also checked all Windows sound settings. I have been doing this for three years, so I do know how to use Zoom for music.

BTW, even with Original Sound off, current Zoom versions handle music reasonably well, and don't completely block it.

Believe me, I have searched the web for any possible causes and found none. I have found a few others with the same problem but also no resolution.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD