The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
It seems weekends have become my time to resaw and this weekend it's the Bastogne Walnut billets I recently purchased:
...[snip]...
Bastogne Walnut is a hybrid of Claro and English Walnuts and I believe it is the hardest and stiffest in the walnut family. As I said in previous postings, this walnut will have the most rosewood like sound qualities.
When I was cleaning up this set for these pictures I was amazed by the silky and relatively pore free surface.

I was able to resaw three full guitar back and side sister sets from the two billets. There is also enough left over from the side billet to do a neck or two.

Beautiful, isn't it?

Mark
Really nice looking wood Mark. I've heard that sometimes grafted walnut is mistakenly identified as Bastogne Walnut. Isn't Bastogne Walnut pretty rare, and how does one know when it is Bastogne?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Really nice looking wood Mark. I've heard that sometimes grafted walnut is mistakenly identified as Bastogne Walnut. Isn't Bastogne Walnut pretty rare, and how does one know when it is Bastogne?
I've read that Bastogne Walnut is EXTREMELY rare, not to mention one of such a figure which is almost as defined as tyre tracks. I wonder what kind of up charge Mark is looking at for such a set!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:56 PM

I can't afford a new guitar right now. Mark, could you make me just a neck with that Walnut? It would be the most stunning neck ever!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I found this synopsis in the Log Cabin Forum over at UMGF (see below). Aside from being rare and qualitative figure descriptions, there seems to be very little agreement on positive identification beyond janka hardness and density being higher than other walnut varieties. Here is a link on the trees:

http://www.lutherburbankonline.com/V2-C5.html
"Bastogne Walnut technically refers to the paradox hydrid which is J. hindsii x J. regia. There are other hybrids which exist such as J. ailantifolia x J. cinerea, J. nigra x J. regia, J. hindsii x J. nigra to name a few. To start with, I'll just run through a few of the scientific and common names for the various walnuts.

* Juglans regia- common walnut, Persian, English or Carpathian walnut
* J. californica S.Wats. - California Black Walnut
* J. hindsii - Hinds' Black Walnut- most commonly called Claro walnut
* J. nigra L. - Eastern Black Walnut

Natural History

Luther Burbank attempted to create a fast-growing hardwood by cultivating hybrids of English (J. regia) and Claro walnut (J. hindsii). [Our research is unable to determine is Burbank actually hybridized these strains or he discovered a naturally hybridized tree].

There are several theories how the tree received the Paradox moniker. One is that hardwoods conventionally take a long time to grow and mature hence, a fast-growing hardwood is a paradox. Another possible paradox is a naturally occurring hybrid which does not display characteristics of either of its parents.

It has more recently been marketed as Bastogne, a more elegant French term derived for ******* due to it's heritage. What is certain is that Burbank succeeded in cultivating his Paradox walnut and it still stands at the Luther Burbank Homes and Gardens.

Bastogne Walnut matures quickly, anywhere from 20 to 80 years and grows much larger than either of it's parents. In addition, to producing few fruits [some trees produce non at all!], it is sterile and unable to reproduce naturally.

Physical properties

Bastogne Walnut can vary greatly in color, texture, grain and density. However, it is generally the densest of all walnuts and often displays a green hue and broken fiddleback figure. The most common color contrast is with the colors of Claro and the dark streaks of English Walnut.

It has a Janka rating of approximately 1000-1500 lbs force and a specific gravity of 1. Air drying takes long but it is stable in service once dry.Bastogne Walnut is prized by big bore shooters as it is strong enough to stand up to recoil yet heavy enough to slow recoil torque."

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-23-2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Added a link
Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks iim7V7IM7 for putting that up. That goes along with what I see and have read as well.

Quote:
I've seen some confusion about just what Bastogne Walnut is also. I don't believe there is a huge black market of fraudulent Bastogne Walnut, just some confused stories out there. When you are holding a billet of Bastogne in your hands it's obviously heavier and harder than other walnuts. It has more of a sheen and smaller pores. It certainly much easier to differentiate than Engelmann and German Spruce. The hardness and weight would be less obvious on a finished product. Certainly, dealing with a reputable source is always important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Now that is some beautiful Bastogne. Betcha that shimmer is wild in person. Love the grain on the sides too. An awesome set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
That is the first Bastogne I've seen that I covet. It is sinfully good looking!
Thanks Bruce and cigarfan! It does look great in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I've read that Bastogne Walnut is EXTREMELY rare, not to mention one of such a figure which is almost as defined as tyre tracks. I wonder what kind of up charge Mark is looking at for such a set!
Marcus you're right, it is rare and this much figure is hard to find. In determining the upcharge I can only say that it's beautiful, it's rare, but it does not carry the cost of beautiful, rare and exotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I can't afford a new guitar right now. Mark, could you make me just a neck with that Walnut? It would be the most stunning neck ever!
No harm in asking but, I would reserve that neck wood as an option for a guitar.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-23-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Bastogne Walnut wood combos

I'm getting some interest in these Bastogne Walnut sets and was working on possible wood combinations. My favorite was a pairing with Western Red Cedar trimmed with a dark brown (not black) like African Blackwood (shown) or possibly Wenge. Thought I'd share:

Selecting a neck wood could be fun with this as well. I do have enough of the Bastogne to do a neck, also White Limba sometimes called Corina would look awesome too.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM

As an aspiring builder builder I'm truly inspired by your work . I find myself staring at your photos not only impressed , but trying to figure out how you did that ! It's a great source for inspiration (no I won't steal any designs ...lol) To me ,these are some of the most Beutiful guitars I've ever seen , and it gives me a goal to reach for....even if it takes a lifetime (it might , if ever) so thanks for sharing , it's simply Beutiful craftsmenship and design !
Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
That is the first Bastogne I've seen that I covet. It is sinfully good looking!
Yep, finest Bastogne I've seen!

Mark's work is wonderfully clean and precise. One of my favourite builders here who make guitars in the 'modern' style.

Just to theorise wood (I'm not a builder) but if I went for a cedar/bastogne guitar, I'd go for light Spanish Cedar for the neck, with an ebony rod for reinforcement.

I'd keep that set of Bastogne for a festival guitar! It'd stand out amongst the BRW etc guitars at a show I imagine.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 PM

I think that looks like a fabulous combination of top and back. The colors just blend so well and then with the right binding to either tie them in or set them off more, perfect....
Old 03-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Music soothes the soul!

That combination looks awesome Mark. I think you are on to something there. Ever thought of using eucalyptus as binding. Just the right combination of red and brown. Might be a possibility.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by li2ljay View Post
As an aspiring builder builder I'm truly inspired by your work . I find myself staring at your photos not only impressed , but trying to figure out how you did that ! It's a great source for inspiration (no I won't steal any designs ...lol) To me ,these are some of the most Beutiful guitars I've ever seen , and it gives me a goal to reach for....even if it takes a lifetime (it might , if ever) so thanks for sharing , it's simply Beutiful craftsmenship and design !
Thanks. I appreciate that!

Thanks TomB'sox, Cigarfan, and ewh2!
I haven't worked with eucalyptus. I see it does have that slight green tint and comes in many different shades. Interesting.

Here is another picture with part of a neck blank in the White Limba I mentioned earlier:

Limba works and acts just like Mahogany only it comes in different colors

Mark

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 03-25-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM

That looks like all the makings of another great looking instrument from New Hampshire! I would not change any of those choices!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That looks like all the makings of another great looking instrument from New Hampshire! I would not change any of those choices!

Glad you like it. It's a very unusual color pallet for me to work with. I really like it too!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 PM

This is what the Froggy Bottom folk had to say on their website:

"We prefer Bastogne Walnut for its greater hardness and wide range of beautiful color and figure. Bastogne is a significantly lighter wood than Rosewood, and produces an extremely responsive guitar."

In my casual search for Bastogne guitars I've come across quite a few Froggy Bottoms. They seem to really like it.

Mark, what are your first impressions from a tap tone, density, stiffness perspective?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
Mark, what are your first impressions from a tap tone, density, stiffness perspective?
Hi Dano,

My first impressions of Bastogne are that it is the hardest walnut I've come across. It has a strong rich tap tone with good sustain. In the span of "Q" between mahogany and rosewood it is the closest to rosewood I've come across (with the exception of my 1850 Black Walnut).

I am not saying "it sounds just like rosewood" however. It is walnut with it's own characteristics. It is a bit lighter, as Froggy Bottom says, it would produce a very responsive guitar (not to say rosewood doesn't). Maybe, you pick-up a little more on the fundamentals than with EIR.

Here are some density samples from individual wood sets in my shop for comparison. These are listed in the number of grams per cubic inch:

East Indian Rosewood 11.79
A light mahogany 8.06
Bastogne Walnut 10.95

Bastogne is typically the densest walnut followed by Eastern Black Walnut
Here are some walnut samples for comparison:

Bastogne 10.95
Black Walnut 10.10
Peruvian 9.00
Claro 8.85

Interestingly from a variation perspective, I have been crowing about the tonal qualities of what I am calling my 1850 Black Walnut that has been seasoning since (you guessed it) 1850. It's density comes in a little over the Bastogne at 10.97

Again, these are actual shop samples and as the two Black Walnut samples show there are variances within the species. I do think these examples are representative of what you should generally expect though.

Hope That Helps!
Mark

Steven Wright
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop