The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Interestingly enough I wouldn’t put a whole lot of comparisons to the two. Atkins have a lower guttural growl that’s indicative of older guitars which I love. As an owner of several Collings (all but one traditional series guitars) I would say that there are more similarities between traditional Collings and Atkin than standard Collings, but not a ton. They’re very different beasts.

Atkins have a looseness to them, partially attributed to the finish checking. A completely different vibe from the Swiss watch precision of Collings. Unfortunately for me, I like all types of instruments rather than have a specific type. It keeps my arsenal full and my wallet light.

I highly recommend Atkins. Every one of them that I’ve picked up has been outstanding.
Very helpful. The Atkin is an easier decision because of price point, for the time being anyway. Nice to have a sample of each long term, which I am sure I will figure out somehow financially.

How much was the upcharge for Adi? I do not see the option on the Atkin site.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Very helpful. The Atkin is an easier decision because of price point, for the time being anyway. Nice to have a sample of each long term, which I am sure I will figure out somehow financially.

How much was the upcharge for Adi? I do not see the option on the Atkin site.

I didn’t get individual charge amounts. I just just spec’d it out the way I wanted and asked how much it would cost. Pretty much everything I did was an upgrade of some sort, including the Madagascar Rosewood. Unlike Santa Cruz, they usually don’t market themselves as a custom guitar company. The in lays, bound, fingerboard, and headstock overlay weren’t even options, they just created them
Old 03-06-2024, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Whoa Chris! That is beautiful. Love the burst & checked finish. Congrats man, enjoy it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-20-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Swapped out the machine heads for Gotoh ivoroid button tuning machines. Kept the bushings. This was one of my original requests but they didn’t offer these type of tuners. I think it completes the aesthetic with the binding on the fingerboard
Old 03-20-2024, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Nice touch. I like the look of white buttons on guitars with white binding.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I quite like the old timey font of the logo. Seems like from a 1930s magazine ad. The way the wording kind of over explains things has a charm as well, and is a very non modern tone of phrase. Usually logos on headstocks are not my thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion