The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2023, 06:49 PM

If you use auto record (set an in/out point & pre/post roll), you’ll be able to hear the track up to the drop in point for however long you set the pre-roll. Then it will drop out of record & continue to play for the length of the post roll.

You don’t technically need a click to do this kind of recording, but the results will vary based on how your natural time is. Another option is to create a tempo map that follows your tempo changes for each section of the piece you’re recording.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-23-2023, 10:05 PM

I usually record a rhythm track first, then play along with that, but I guess a click track would work the same. I keep the tempo constant, at a certain bpm. I've found the trick to cutting and pasting is setting that same bpm in the DAW, and you can move the whole track to the exact start of a measure (if it's not there already). Then when you make a cut, use the snap setting so it cuts right at the start of a beat. I usually make a few takes of each instrument then cut and paste over any crappy parts. Example:

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-24-2023, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I usually record a rhythm track first, then play along with that, but I guess a click track would work the same. I keep the tempo constant, at a certain bpm. I've found the trick to cutting and pasting is setting that same bpm in the DAW, and you can move the whole track to the exact start of a measure (if it's not there already). Then when you make a cut, use the snap setting so it cuts right at the start of a beat. I usually make a few takes of each instrument then cut and paste over any crappy parts. Example:

Thanks for all the responses.

So, the relatesd question is this: how do you comp using playlists without a click track? When I record a track in protools and want to do multiple takes, I bump it down from a waveform to a playlist, which frees up the track to record another take. But when recording that take, I can’t hear what’s already been recorded and bumped down to a playlist. Hence the need for a click track to keep everything synced up between multiple takes. In fact, I have to solo a playlist to hear it at all.
Old 12-24-2023, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

So, the relatesd question is this: how do you comp using playlists without a click track? When I record a track in protools and want to do multiple takes, I bump it down from a waveform to a playlist, which frees up the track to record another take. But when recording that take, I can’t hear what’s already been recorded and bumped down to a playlist. Hence the need for a click track to keep everything synced up between multiple takes. In fact, I have to solo a playlist to hear it at all.

Yes you cannot hear the previous playlist when recording to a new one
Well one can always just use a drum plugin on its own track if you don't have any other previously recorded tracks
And yes you cannot hear any lower stacked playlists unless you solo it or promote it to the top comp track

BTW are you aware of the Auto create new playlists when loop recording option ? You do not have bump it down because it does it automatically for you
Go to Preferences or Settings in the latest PT Version
Go to the Operations Tab > Record box on right side and make sure
"Automatically Create New Playlists When Loop Recording" is checked or highlighted

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-25-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes you cannot hear the previous playlist when recording to a new one
Well one can always just use a drum plugin on its own track if you don't have any other previously recorded tracks
And yes you cannot hear any lower stacked playlists unless you solo it or promote it to the top comp track

BTW are you aware of the Auto create new playlists when loop recording option ? You do not have bump it down because it does it automatically for you
Go to Preferences or Settings in the latest PT Version
Go to the Operations Tab > Record box on right side and make sure
"Automatically Create New Playlists When Loop Recording" is checked or highlighted
Thanks for the tip, I wasn’t aware of that functionality.

So it sounds like I [I]do[I] have to use a click or drum track to keep multiple playlists in sync. Is this right?

I guess the other option is to record pieces onto individual tracks, and assemble them later.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I wasn’t aware of that functionality.

So it sounds like I [I]do[I] have to use a click or drum track to keep multiple playlists in sync. Is this right?

I guess the other option is to record pieces onto individual tracks, and assemble them later.
Humm I am not quite understanding your question
Or not understanding your process because mine is likely different

If your using multiple take playlist loop recording on the very first recording pass you do in the session ? then yes recording to new playlists will mute the previous playlist take/s and you will only hear what you are recording in real time
So if that is what you are doing ? then yes I would assume most people need or use , some kind of timing reference like a click or drum track

Now I suppose one could simply record one pass (say one guitar playing pass ) Sometimes called a "scratch track" (that may or may not be used int the final product) all the way thru, and then do the multiple playlist recording on a second track to be able to comp together a final take

BUT Since I do not do solo acoustic guitar instrumentals I am not the best person to answer. When I am going to do multiple playlist recording I usually record a single rhythm guitar pass all the way thru first and then use multiple playlist recording on say the subsequent vocal track and or lead riff guitar track but I still can hear the Rhythm Gtr track to reference my timing to..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-26-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

So getting back to your OP
Again Honestly I think Quick punch will get you where you want to go because :
#1 it does allow you to hear for how ever many measures you set in the pre-roll before the mistake you want to correct. .

# 2 it has the advantage of background recording for the entire pre-roll start to post-roll end--- so it will not inadvertently clip off any of the new take if your timing of the punch in is not perfect

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-28-2023, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Humm I am not quite understanding your question
Or not understanding your process because mine is likely different

If your using multiple take playlist loop recording on the very first recording pass you do in the session ? then yes recording to new playlists will mute the previous playlist take/s and you will only hear what you are recording in real time
So if that is what you are doing ? then yes I would assume most people need or use , some kind of timing reference like a click or drum track

Now I suppose one could simply record one pass (say one guitar playing pass ) Sometimes called a "scratch track" (that may or may not be used int the final product) all the way thru, and then do the multiple playlist recording on a second track to be able to comp together a final take

BUT Since I do not do solo acoustic guitar instrumentals I am not the best person to answer. When I am going to do multiple playlist recording I usually record a single rhythm guitar pass all the way thru first and then use multiple playlist recording on say the subsequent vocal track and or lead riff guitar track but I still can hear the Rhythm Gtr track to reference my timing to..
Yes, sounds like I’ll need to have SOME reference point for tempo if I’m using playlists to comp. So I think a separate scratch track would work.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So getting back to your OP
Again Honestly I think Quick punch will get you where you want to go because :
#1 it does allow you to hear for how ever many measures you set in the pre-roll before the mistake you want to correct. .

# 2 it has the advantage of background recording for the entire pre-roll start to post-roll end--- so it will not inadvertently clip off any of the new take if your timing of the punch in is not perfect
Thanks. I’ve been doing a sort of haphazard combination of punching in and comping with playlists using a click track. Most of the time this works fine, but when I want to avoid the click it sounds like quick punch should work.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I’ve been doing a sort of haphazard combination of punching in and comping with playlists using a click track. Most of the time this works fine, but when I want to avoid the click it sounds like quick punch should work.
You'll probably still want a click, otherwise you may not play the part your dropping in the same & either have a gap or have the quick punch cut off your playing before you finish.

If you're comping parts together you will need a click track, unless you like getting frustrated. There's little guarantee that you'll keep your tempos steady without a click...even if the click changes from section to section to reflect a more rubato style.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 12-29-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
You'll probably still want a click, otherwise you may not play the part your dropping in the same & either have a gap or have the quick punch cut off your playing before you finish.
While I do think learning to use a click is definitely a valuable tool and skill However noting the fact that the specific advantage of Quick Punch is not only can hear what you have previously recorded (i.e hear the timing and cadence of what you have previously recorded ) but it also background records from start of pre to end of post to help eliminates said "gaps" and especially "cut offs" . Granted however it is likely more difficult to get it to blend with something like a continuous guitar part than a vocal.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-29-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

So here is a quick demo of Quick Punch ha punn !!
So the first part is about how to set it up But the second part ,about 3:10 min's I re- record and sing late to demonstrate the background recording feature from start of Pre Roll to the end of Post roll
And how by just dragging the edge of the highlighted section , you may be able to quickly fix a minor timing error

Also please ignore the iMac fan noise the VO mic was only about 18" away and having been in FCP-X for about 30 mins. previous to doing the screen recording the fans were kicking in

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-29-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:19 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Why not just do a bunch of takes and comp the parts you like together into one take?
I've done this, but the fact that it has to be done is a hint that the tune isn't ready to be recorded. It needs more practice time.

From Fast Times at Ridgemont High

"I'll serve no fries before their time."

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-29-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've done this, but the fact that it has to be done is a hint that the tune isn't ready to be recorded. It needs more practice time.

I generally agree. Sometimes comping takes isn’t possible (it’s really difficult with fast cross picking, for instance).
Old 12-30-2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
While I do think learning to use a click is definitely a valuable tool and skill However noting the fact that the specific advantage of Quick Punch is not only can hear what you have previously recorded (i.e hear the timing and cadence of what you have previously recorded ) but it also background records from start of pre to end of post to help eliminates said "gaps" and especially "cut offs" . Granted however it is likely more difficult to get it to blend with something like a continuous guitar part than a vocal.

Not if you don;t play the exact same tempo as the original, that's where the gaps (or overruns) happen. Quickpunch is simply dropping into & out of record for that section you're overdubbing. If you don't play it in the same amount of time, you will have a problem.

Hence, my advice to use a click & save the headache.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD