The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Maury makes you pay more for a button, and warns that your warranty is void if you request one (I think I have that right; if not, apologies to Maury). But their policy does tend to discourage adding a button. Why, I wonder?

Conversely, Music Villa asked me if I wanted a button on my then-new J-45. No charge. (Heck yeah)
It doesn't void the warranty. Maury says that because it makes the guitar un-returnable. I'd guess that's the case with almost all dealers adding strap buttons but they just don't volunteer that information.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

For what it's worth, I find they are an impediment when playing up the neck. First thing I did when I bought a wonderful Froggy was to remove the one that the previous owner installed.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:02 PM

Yes. Furthermore, I use Levys' suede straps on all of my 3 guitars. They anchor the instrument so that my hands are free and don't have to help holding it, regardless if I'm sitting or standing.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:07 PM

Default heel cap

Unless previously installed I have all of mine installed on the heel cap. Some guitars have very tiny heel caps though, so the side is likely best in that situation.
Some points here:
On the side of the heel...definitely can interfere with playing up the neck.
On the heel cap can be much less trouble for restoration purposes (if they come up in the future), because all you have to do is fashion a replica of the heel cap itself, whereas a side-of-the-heel button removal restoration is a very complex
and likely disfiguring endeavor.
The heel cap pin can also work successfully without tipping the guitar forward if you snug your right elbow over top of the upper bout, which, when you're used to it, requires little more pressure than that of your natural arm weight.
The side of the heel pin can also cause finish damage from the strap constantly rubbing against the heel...
So...my vote stays with the heel cap placement!!!
Old 03-20-2024, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I've tried the headstock tie when I got my new 00028 MD but after a year or so I said **** ** and installed one on the underside of the heel. When I bought my new National NRP Tri Cone from 12th Fret in Toronto I asked them to install a strap button "on the heel in the usual place" as part of my set up instructions and they did so perfectly.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Is it OK to install a guitar strap button on the heel

Absolutely!

Whenever I get a new guitar home, my first job is to install a metal strap button on the treble side (i.e. the underside) of the heel - gold colour to match gold tuners, nickel to match nickel tuners. A guitar that I can’t play comfortably standing and without having to perform physical contortions to keep it from slipping off my shoulder or tipping away from my body is useless to me.

As I have now retired from gigging that may change, but that’s been my practice so far…

1000003221.jpg

1000003222.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 03-20-2024 at 11:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion