The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post

can you record two tracks at a time? I see two inputs on the back. If so, how do you set the level for each when using two simultaneously?
Thank you,
fd
Yes you can record 2 tracks same time.

The Sound Check button automatically sets both inputs. Plus there is an "over ride" slider on the software app.. if need to adjust track's input volume.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Yes you can record 2 tracks same time.

The Sound Check button automatically sets both inputs. Plus there is an "over ride" slider on the software app.. if need to adjust track's input volume.
Thank you Jake. That just may be the tipping point. I have no reason not to get one now for me and for sonny boy in St Louis. Shaping up to be a good holiday season!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Captain,
I forgot to ask you this-can you record two tracks at a time? I see two inputs on the back. If so, how do you set the level for each when using two simultaneously?
Thank you,
fd
I haven't tried it, but I know this works with the Spire. I assume you get a separate track for each, then set the level on each input individually. With the mic on the front and the two combo inputs on the back, you can use any two of the three. Plugging into the top input on back cuts out the onboard mic; plugging into the lower input keeps the mic live.

Day 5, recordings 5 and 5a (I redid that first test in a better key for me).

Six tracks on this one...

Two guitars, two vocals, drums, bass..

Redid the Have a Merry Little Christmas in a key that works better for me...

Two guitars, two vocals, bass, drums, shaker.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Spire

Have to thank you all for the perfect Christmas gift idea..... for me! Told the wife about it. She said order it, I’ll put a couple of pieces I’m no longer using up for sale to help with the cost. Cindy performs with me on vocals and guitar, so we’ll post some tunes soon. Just what I needed. Ordered and delivery Wednesday! You folks are definitely enablers
Rick

Last edited by benjamin1884; 12-16-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
Have to thank you all for the perfect Christmas gift idea..... for me! Told the wife about it. She said order it, I値l put a couple of pieces I知 no longer using up for sale to help with the cost. Cindy performs with me on vocals and guitar, so we値l post some tunes soon. Just what I needed. Ordered and delivery Wednesday! You folks are definitely enablers
Rick
Nice! I look forward to hearing your music and thoughts on the Spire.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1884 View Post
Have to thank you all for the perfect Christmas gift idea..... for me! Told the wife about it. She said order it, I値l put a couple of pieces I知 no longer using up for sale to help with the cost. Cindy performs with me on vocals and guitar, so we値l post some tunes soon. Just what I needed. Ordered and delivery Wednesday! You folks are definitely enablers
Rick
I'll be looking forward to hearing what you are doing with it. I mentioned this post to my wife and she said, "I'm sorry your wife has no musical talent"... not true, she sometimes sings along when I have the guitar in the living room, but would never consider singing in public. We all have our talents: as I'm writing this, she is working on a quilting project for a Christmas gift.

In fact, she said, "Let me know when I need to be quiet," so I could record Day 6, Song 6 with the Spire. A short one, intentionally - when she is ready for a break, it is a beautiful day today... I'll have the boat ready when she's ready.

Guitar and vocal directly into the mic on the Spire; bass and electronic percussion plugged into input 1; harmony vocal on a separate track.

One more (tomorrow) to complete my goal of 7 songs in a week to get familiar with the Spire. This has been a fun addition to my music stuff.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Spire studio

I have to chuckle Jim. My wife is an avid quilter, knitter, spinner, crochet person as well. She’s been singing with me for about 8 years now. I started teaching her guitar right around the time she was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. Up to last year we had been performing at retirement homes, but she’s had a bit of progression of the disease so we’ve backed off on performing. We still host a Bluegrass/ Gospel Jam monthly, and have started hosting musicians jams at our 55 and over apartment for friends. She does all of the above as therapy for her Parkinson’s and we are subscribing to our neurologists advice to just keep moving.
Thanks for the inspiration to all and looking forward to posting some projects
Rick Benjamin
Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

The last of my "7 songs in 7 days" effort to get comfortable with the Spire Studio. Truth be told, it is so easy, that each day after the second has been some experimentation with different mics, guitars, and settings.

You can't live in the Tropical Tip of Texas, play guitar, and not do some Jimmy Buffett songs. Here's an old one...

Two guitar tracks (one acoustic, one plugged in), a vocal track, a harmony track, bass, and a shaker.

I won't be giving up my day job... well, mostly because I am retired and don't have a day job. The result after a week with the Spire: easy to use. Easy to delete a track if you flub up. I try to put at least one flub into each tune I play 'cuz if you play it perfect once, people expect that all the time. The secret to is is to keep changing the flub to keep 'em on their toes.

I won't subject you folks to more of the Spire Studio recordings, but it will be a regular part of my playing time. An enthusiastic thumbs up for the Spire.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jim,

I've not posted in this thread, but I sure have enjoyed reading and listening.

I've got a zoom, which is probably all I really need for my single track recordings. I could overdub with it if I bothered to read the manual But I have to say the Spire sure looks interesting. I'm supposed to be gifted my first electric soon (neighborhood kid moved away and his mom is cleaning house) so maybe I'll take the plunge!

Love those old Buffet tunes up here in the cold north, too. I recently worked up Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season in anticipation of our first trip to Key West. I did take a stroll along the avenue known as AIA, as he puts it, and thankfully the weather was very nice that day.

Great work with your new toy
Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Captain .. I agree with Bob (Reeve21) .. I have enjoyed your recordings and also the progress you have made with the Spire!

This last Buffett tune was the best yet. Or maybe it's because it Monday and should be 5 o'clock somewhere!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bob and Jake. I feel I have learned something each day with the Spire, whether it is mic placement/distance, the amp effects, pedals, space, or using the graphic mix. Even using the "sound check" feature on the Spire, being able to make some adjustments after recording is essential. I could probably go back now and improve the mix on the early offerings.

A week in, I am glad I got it. When I play out, it isn't with backing tracks, just me and the guitar. I played in bands for decades and don't miss rehearsal schedules and hauling a bunch of equipment; although I miss the full sound and comradery. This Spire has scratched an itch that I have had for some bass and drums, in an easy to use format.

Glad you could see improvement through the process.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I have been dabbling in home recordings for a few years.
Keeping it simple and getting high quality without too much setup is what I am after.

In the past I have owned the Zoom H5 recorder and also the Apogee MiC w/iPad.

I must say, I am totally impressed with the Spire Studio system.

Sound quality of course is subjective and there are so many variables.

Below are 2 simple recordings made with my Spire.
This is what my J-45 acoustic guitar sounds like..
FIRST one is Spire's internal mic only.
SECOND one is Spire with 2 Condenser mics attached.

How does the Spire compares to the H5?
Do you think it is a definite upgrade?
Are the preamps better?
Can it handle 2 akgs c451b on 48V without an external power source?
How is the phone/tablet connectivity like?
Can you use it as an audio interface?
Can you use it as a "amp/dac" for listening things on your phone throught it?
Can you put the reverb on a bus track internally without using a DAW?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
How does the Spire compares to the H5?
Do you think it is a definite upgrade?
Are the preamps better?
Can it handle 2 akgs c451b on 48V without an external power source?
How is the phone/tablet connectivity like?
Can you use it as an audio interface?
Can you use it as a "amp/dac" for listening things on your phone throught it?
Can you put the reverb on a bus track internally without using a DAW?
Hey Vindellama - It's hard to directly compare the Spire to the Zoom recorder.. Because to me... other than both being stand alone recorders. They are very different ...So it comes down to how you'd be using the system.

But I will try to address your questions later when I have more time.

In mean time, here a video I made last night using my Spire recorder.... I've been working on this particular song for a couple weeks. Also been using the song as a test for the various mic setups and room placements with my Spire.

I set the Spire up with 2 mics.. AT2035 on guitar and my Senn 935 for vocals. I am controlling the Spire for the most part with my iPad (wireless) with the App..... Then I simply hit export button and sent the 2 individual tracks to my PC and cleaned them up in Reaper. (Synced the video taken with my phone). Then sent it to my Youtube.

The beauty for me is "EASE of use" and SPEED to get things done. Plus I think the quality is "acceptable".

Last edited by JakeStone; 12-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Nice video and sound, Jake!

For Vindellama, I can offer some differences between the H4n Pro and the Spire (no idea how much more advanced the Zoom 5 is over the 4).

I do a sound check with the H4n Pro and try to set the levels so that I don't get any clipping on the loudest instrument/voice on that track. It still requires that I upload the tracks onto my MacBook Pro to get a reasonable balance. Moving from Stereo mics to multi-track is cumbersome on the Zoom: lots of wheel scrolling and button presses. If I want to use the mics on the Zoom for the guitar, and vocal, I am out of tracks; I have to mix down repeatedly if I want to add bass, drums, and any additional guitar or vocal.

With the Spire, you play 10 seconds of your loudest part on the track and it sets the levels automatically. You are then ready to press the record button and go for it. Much more user friendly. I prefer the single mic on the Spire over the X/Y mics on the Zoom - much better acoustic sound with no fuss. As you are recording, the track is moving wireless to your iPad or phone. Fast, easy.

If you want to set the metronome on the Zoom, it takes a bunch of clicks and wheel spins, then you have to navigate back into your track to hear it... if it is too fast or too slow, you guess by how much, go back to the button pressing and wheel spinning to get to the metronome, try again, then navigate back to the track. On the Spire, you can tap to get the beat you want or just slide the the dot on the metronome up or down for speed. Again, fast and easy.

If you want to change the name of your project on the Zoom, it is wheel and click time again, like trying to text on an old flip-phone. On the Spire, click on the name, delete, and type in the new title.

The pre-amps on both units are reasonably quiet - I'd call that a draw. For ease of use, the Spire still has it when plugging in, since the inputs are on the back of the unit, not the bottom. The Spire has good heft to it and just sits where you put it with anything plugged into it.

The Zoom has the disadvantage of being old technology. Good internals, but a pain to use compared to the iPad interface on the Spire app.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Nice video and sound, Jake!

For Vindellama, I can offer some differences between the H4n Pro and the Spire (no idea how much more advanced the Zoom 5 is over the 4).

I do a sound check with the H4n Pro and try to set the levels so that I don't get any clipping on the loudest instrument/voice on that track. It still requires that I upload the tracks onto my MacBook Pro to get a reasonable balance. Moving from Stereo mics to multi-track is cumbersome on the Zoom: lots of wheel scrolling and button presses. If I want to use the mics on the Zoom for the guitar, and vocal, I am out of tracks; I have to mix down repeatedly if I want to add bass, drums, and any additional guitar or vocal.

With the Spire, you play 10 seconds of your loudest part on the track and it sets the levels automatically. You are then ready to press the record button and go for it. Much more user friendly. I prefer the single mic on the Spire over the X/Y mics on the Zoom - much better acoustic sound with no fuss. As you are recording, the track is moving wireless to your iPad or phone. Fast, easy.

If you want to set the metronome on the Zoom, it takes a bunch of clicks and wheel spins, then you have to navigate back into your track to hear it... if it is too fast or too slow, you guess by how much, go back to the button pressing and wheel spinning to get to the metronome, try again, then navigate back to the track. On the Spire, you can tap to get the beat you want or just slide the the dot on the metronome up or down for speed. Again, fast and easy.

If you want to change the name of your project on the Zoom, it is wheel and click time again, like trying to text on an old flip-phone. On the Spire, click on the name, delete, and type in the new title.

The pre-amps on both units are reasonably quiet - I'd call that a draw. For ease of use, the Spire still has it when plugging in, since the inputs are on the back of the unit, not the bottom. The Spire has good heft to it and just sits where you put it with anything plugged into it.

The Zoom has the disadvantage of being old technology. Good internals, but a pain to use compared to the iPad interface on the Spire app.
Did you use 2 mics 48v with the same power drawn as the akgs I mentioned?
Also... I forgot 2 things...
Can you record videos on the phone/tablet at the same time you are using the app?
What isn't available on android?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD