The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-02-2018, 07:32 AM

Great playing and a really nice composition, which I found it uplifting. The guitar sounds fab, put you are a most accomplished player!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 AM

@David Hutton

Thank you verry much!
To call this song "uplifting" is maybe the greatest compliment you could have given me. Check out the othe songs on the chanel - you may like them too
Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I would agree with the uplift notion. The piece is very creative and I really like the different parts. I suppose for lack of a better description it is kind of an A_B _ C_bridge to A composition ??

Since you asked for input Let me start by stating:
I think we as composer's or songwriter's need to understand there are two major facets to this endeavor.
One is as you note in your OP the personal facet (what it means to us ) and we as writers often become very attached to that . And it is definitely a necessary component in order for the music to have an "authentic" feel to it for the listener.

But if we are also attempting to create something that also will have some kind of universal appeal (in that others can identify with it, in some way as having meaning to them) then at that point we should start to consider what actually serves that universality ( which may be in contrast to the personal meaning), and how we might want to consider that balanced against what it means to us personally. So this dichotomy is the struggle we all face when we try to accomplish both. As you say the argument of cut , or no cut is certainly part of

And

Now to the point. And from strictly my listeners perspective. If what I am hearing as of the time of this post is the shortened version . Then I would perhaps consider cutting a little bit more, a bit out of each section. Obviously if the above is not the shortened version then disregard and /or you say you can always just put in the playbook for future projects
In any case the playing is marvelous well done

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-02-2018, 10:01 AM

@KevWind

Thank you for your deep thoughts on this subject. I totaly agree with your general view points on composition and expression. I wanted this song to feel like a journey with mood swings and a mix of different feelings. I was sure, that what I wanted to express, could not been done with a traditional song structure. You heard the edited version and If I would shorten it even more, I am risking to take away the "journey character" and I wouldn't want that.

Thank you again for your advice, opinions and kind words.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
acoustic guitar, instrumental, original compositions, strumming, western