The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Composite acoustics electric

I'm a missionary headed to a very unforgiving climate for traditional guitars. Recently I purchased a Composite Acoustics Gx and so far I'm very happy with the guitar. I'm also looking to replace my electric but haven't been able to find a carbon fiber electric. I would love to get a CA Blade. Anyone know where I might be able to find one? Or are there any other companies producing similar guitars?I will not be able to come back to the USA for three years so I want to make sure I get something that will last and will hold up in extreme conditions. Also any string suggestions? I will be stocking up before I leave. Thank you for any and all help.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM

I really like my CA GX as well. May yours serve you well on your trip! You're taking some extra strings, I assume!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Not many of the Blade models were built, but they do show up on eBay from time to time. I own one, and they are well worth pursuing.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Electric guitars are pretty robust, being solid bodies. Acoustic guitars are empty boxes made of thin wood, braced to vibrate in a pleasant fashion, and are much more susceptible to climate changes.

Get a decent but expendable electric guitar and don't worry. I appreciate the desire for a CF electric, but not sure that I really "get it". And other than the CA Blade which I saw at NAMM about ten years ago (and Ted now owns) I have never encountered another one.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

If you find someone who makes something similar, please let us know. (I ain't selling my CA Blade!) You might also check eBay for the Viktorian guitars that show up sometimes... The Parker Fly neck-thru guitars have a carbon/epoxy exoskeleton but are somewhat delicate in their design. Might be worth a look though as they are readily available on the used market. The older Nitefly models had the carbon/epoxy encased necks bolted on to a wood body. Another one to look at are the Modulus Genesis series guitars which are carbon fiber enhanced.

Lastly, the "Eleven" Guitars Carboncasters are kind of cool but I don't know what if anything they are doing to enhance the necks on these...

JR
Old 04-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

The blades are rare...

Emerald Guitars can build you an all carbon fiber electric. Give them a shout!

Also, there is Vigier. They are a guitar company based in france that make amazing instruments with stainless steel frets, zero fret, and their necks are strengthened by graphite. There is a torture test one of their guys did on youtube where they took the neck and put it in a freezer and later they put it in a sauna. They restrung it and measured it afterwards and both times it did not appear to be negatively effected.

There are really cool carbon guitars from Miller Instruments and Gus Guitars but I'm having trouble finding out if either of those companies are still in business.

If you do end up bringing a wood electric, pick up one of those vault style Gator or SKB cases. It will really protect your instrument.

And as a side note, if I had the coin, I'd own one of every instrument mentioned above!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:41 PM

I did a survey awhile back (search Blade in this CF forum) and found less than a dozen Composite Acoustic Blade guitars up for sale in recent years. I'm guessing only a couple hundred were ever made, based on the serial numbers in the sale listings.

I found mine on eBay, and that's where you might keep an eye out. It's a fantastic guitar ... if you find one, buy it!

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
The blades are rare...

Emerald Guitars can build you an all carbon fiber electric. Give them a shout!

Also, there is Vigier. They are a guitar company based in france that make amazing instruments with stainless steel frets, zero fret, and their necks are strengthened by graphite. There is a torture test one of their guys did on youtube where they took the neck and put it in a freezer and later they put it in a sauna. They restrung it and measured it afterwards and both times it did not appear to be negatively effected.

There are really cool carbon guitars from Miller Instruments and Gus Guitars but I'm having trouble finding out if either of those companies are still in business.

If you do end up bringing a wood electric, pick up one of those vault style Gator or SKB cases. It will really protect your instrument.

And as a side note, if I had the coin, I'd own one of every instrument mentioned above!
I searched for Emerald electrics. They offer a production model?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Don't think they've had a production model, but in the past, Alistair has expressed his love for electrics. It's just there's just so many electric makers out there that there isn't much demand for specifically CF electrics. Also, even cheap electrics are not as affected by environmental changes as acoustics--so there isn't a huge felt need for CF with the electric players..

He has made a number of electrics for famous players, some of them could be standalone works of art. I'm sure others here will point you to photos of them or videos and I know I've seen some featured on the Emerald website in the past.

Since they are custom and not stock, I would expect you'd need to gather your preferred specs and ask them directly for a quote and a timeline to get some idea if you want to go further.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Composite electrics are a custom shop or small production proposition now. The first that popped into my mind is Flaxwood: http://www.flaxwood.com . The material is "small wood fibres, in this case from recycled northern spruce, mixed with a thermoplastic bonding agent."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaxwood_Guitars

Not quite certain about the status of the company right now...
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RGX-A...38.m2548.l4275

I think these had a composite body but a regular neck.

Another option is getting a budget electric guitar and play it until it won't play...
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Thank you all!

I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I still have a few guitars left in my collection to get rid of and I will look into these options before we leave. As for strings Iam still unsure of what will be the best option but I'm currently reasearching. If you want to sell that blade I'd be interested! Lol!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
blade, carbon fiber, composite, electric guitar