The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-01-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Pickin on the square ?

Hi All,

Any of you take part in local "Pickin on the Square" events in your area? I am thinking about going down to take part. I have gone and listened several times. Any suggestions for "standard" type songs that I can start learning? Any suggestions/tips for taking part? Ours is unorganized. Small groups form and play etc. No stage, just folks in lawn chairs listening and playing.

wayne
Old 05-01-2006, 10:51 AM

Pickin on the square ? I've never heard of it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:15 AM

I guess the best way to describe it is this. Local players gather in town on Friday nights. They play mainly gospel/bluegrass type songs. They gather in a loose circle and each person take his turn picking what song to play and leading it. There are mandolin, banjo and guitar players. The occasional dobro shows up sometimes also.

wayne
Old 05-01-2006, 12:57 PM

If there's such a gathering around my area, I sure don't know about it. Sounds like fun, though. Always good to play out with other folks!

Personally, I'd prefer a more 'garage band' type jam setting and music... a little more plugged in, I guess. Not hours and hours of endless solos, but playing through tunes and learning a thing or two.

If you do go and participate waynep, have a great time... then give us a report, please!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell