The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy
Land of Hope & Dreams--Bruce Springsteen*)
not to hijack the thread or anything, but ****, i love this song. gives me the chills every time hearing/watching it on the live in nyc dvd.
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 04-14-2006, 01:00 AM

i still have not yet played my own real gig -- however that's all about to change within the next 24 hrs -- my first one is tomorrow (err...today), 4/14

anyway, i threw together a list of songs below, and this was from just while i was on the train home from work the other day, so it's not my entire reportiore, but is at least a decent start on stuff that i play and would play out.

i will be playing two hour gigs, so i was thinking i'd pick about 25 of the songs below (and some others that i forgot to write down). but this should given an idea of what i'm looking to play. i'm 26yrs/male/solo acoustic.

======================

The Band - The Weight
The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
The Beatles - Help!
The Beatles - You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Ben Harper - Brown Eyed Blues
Ben Harper - Burn One Down
Ben Harper - Steal My Kisses
Bryan Adams - Heaven
Bryan Adams - Summer of 69
Counting Crows - Mr. Jones
Counting Crows - Rain King
David Gray - An Afternoon's Debauchery
David Gray - Babylon
DMB - #41
DMB - All Along the Watchtower
DMB - Ants Marching
DMB - Bartender
DMB - Crash Into Me
DMB - Cry Freedom
DMB - Dancing Nancies
DMB - Don't Drink the Water
DMB - Everyday
DMB - Grey Street
DMB - Halloween
DMB - Hunger For the Great Light
DMB - Pig
DMB - Say Goodbye
DMB - Seek Up
DMB - Tripping Billies
DMB - Two Step
DMB - Warehouse
DMB - Where Are You Going
Everclear - Santa Monica
Foo Fighters - Times Like These
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Grateful Dead - Scarlet Begonias
Grateful Dead - Uncle John's Band
The Gufs - Smile
Jack Johnson - Flake
Jimmy Buffett - Cheeseburger In Paradise
Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville
Jimmy Buffett - Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw
John Lennon - Stand By Me
The Killers - Jenny Was a Friend Of Mine
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Matchbox 20 - 3am
Matchbox 20 - Long Day
Neil Young - Rockin In the Free World
Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
Oasis - Live Forever
Oasis - What's the Story (Morning Glory)
Oasis - Wonderwall
Pat McGee Band - Rebecca
Pearl Jam - Black
Pearl Jam - Elderly Woman Behind the Corner In a Small Town
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss
REM - What's the Frequency Kenneth
Rolling Stones - Sympathy For the Devil
Ryan Adams - To Be Young
Sister Hazel - All For You
Steve Miller Band - Serenade
Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run
Toad the Wet Sprocket - All I Want
Tom Petty - American Girl
Tom Petty - Into the Great Wide Open
TOm Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance
U2 - All I Want Is You
U2 - One
U2 - Walk On
U2 - With or Without You
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Violent Femmes - American Music
Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun
Violent Femmes - Kiss Off

Last edited by crowdedstr; 04-14-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 AM

I don't want to make a big list but mine is like above heavy on the DMB, 20-30 songs, then....Jack Johnson, Johnny Cash, Damien Rice, James Blunt, Snow Patrol, Neil Diamond, James Taylor, OAR, Ben Harper, John Mayer, Clapton, anything where an acoustic works pretty much
Old 04-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB
I don't know about Hondo, but I sure am getting a lot of ideas!
Thanks y'all!!
Oh yeah! This is great, y'all. I do appreciate it. It almost sounds like I can polish off the stuff I was doing in 1981 and add about twenty and I'll have it.

Ouch! Has it really been 25 years? All I've done publicly since then is P&W. I have no outlet for that now, so it's back to the secular.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 04-14-2006, 12:12 PM

My list is pretty long and I don't start with a fixed set list (although I probably should). I just pull songs from my list as I feel them and try not to do too many songs by the same artist in a row.

Exceptions are songs that seem to work transitioning like:

Bartender -> Don't Drink the Water
Minarets -> The Maker

I'm pretty heavy on the Dave Matthews stuff since people have sort of come to expect it from me and I do like to sing Dave's stuff.

Pepper an original or two in there if you've got 'em. Other than Dave stuff, I play a lot of Ray LaMontagne, Paul Weller, John Mayer and a couple that people don't expect from a solo acoustic guy:

Just the Two of Us - Bill Withers
Eyes of the World - Grateful Dead
Easy (Like Sunday Morning) - Commodores
Pilgrims - Widespread Panic

And some that they do:

Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young
Slip Slidin' Away - Paul Simon
Friend of the Devil - Grateful Dead

One thing about being a solo act is that you're going to want more audience interaction. Think of some stories to tell while you're changing tunings or just as transitions into songs (unless you're good with the improv).

Have fun! Playing solo is a blast....got my first gig of the season tonight (weather permitting) and I'm really looking forward to it!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=crowdedstr]i still have not yet played my own real gig -- however that's all about to change within the next 24 hrs -- my first one is tomorrow (err...today), 4/14

Where??????? Want some vocal harmony?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Chicago Sandy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedstr
i still have not yet played my own real gig -- however that's all about to change within the next 24 hrs -- my first one is tomorrow (err...today), 4/14

Where??????? Want some vocal harmony?
oops, just got to this one now...

i got a regular gig at trader todd's, which is a bar on belmont/sheffield. not sure when my next one is yet, but i will keep the chicago crew posted
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 AM

I have a pretty large list of covers I do, numbering over 500 tunes. I don't think I can copy it from my website, as I believe the grid would come along with the titles! Anyone who wants to see my repertoire can access it easily enough. Go to www.elizabethroth.com and then click on songlist.

As long as it is, I still feel like I play the same songs over and over! Haha. And I love to add tunes, but I hate to ever drop one... so some of the older ones could probably use a reworking but I try to remember I am an entertainer and try not to be an egotist about perfection...
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
All I've done publicly since then is P&W. I have no outlet for that now, so it's back to the secular.
no outlet? just something to ponder here, but why not create your own outlet? do something completely different? get a bit more creative than the crowd? the music scene DESPERATELY needs something fresh. i mean, c'mon folks, i certainly mean no offense, but does the world need one more person to play in the bars? is there not some guy/gal strumming away the hits - and a few of "their own" songs - in just about every bar in every city?

why not take music to some folks who cant go out and see it/hear it? maybe a hospital, jail, retirement home. maybe organize some music festival for the homeless in your city. summer's coming up. it'd be a nice time to give something fresh a shot.

just thinkin outloud here. i dunno. its just that music has gotten so lame to me. theres some schmuck strumming away just about everywhere you go these days....trying to "make it"....trying to be heard.....trying...something...but it all pretty much has been done. i barely even tell ppl i play the guitar anymore its gotten so lame.

anyway....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.I.am
no outlet? just something to ponder here, but why not create your own outlet? do something completely different? get a bit more creative than the crowd? the music scene DESPERATELY needs something fresh. i mean, c'mon folks, i certainly mean no offense, but does the world need one more person to play in the bars? is there not some guy/gal strumming away the hits - and a few of "their own" songs - in just about every bar in every city?

why not take music to some folks who cant go out and see it/hear it? maybe a hospital, jail, retirement home. maybe organize some music festival for the homeless in your city. summer's coming up. it'd be a nice time to give something fresh a shot.

just thinkin outloud here. i dunno. its just that music has gotten so lame to me. theres some schmuck strumming away just about everywhere you go these days....trying to "make it"....trying to be heard.....trying...something...but it all pretty much has been done. i barely even tell ppl i play the guitar anymore its gotten so lame.

anyway....
Sam

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just asking for song lists.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
Sam

Thanks for your thoughts. I was just asking for song lists.

true........
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.I.am

anyway....
I know what you're saying. But I still have to depend on the bar scene for most of my income. The hospital, retirement home, festival and teaching gigs I do provide me with some variety (which is nice) but not much income. I think you just have to find a way to make your gigs seem fresh. Lessen the number of ones that feel like "work".

And then - if you are actually trying to do it for your main or sole income, you have to accept the fact that there are just some gigs that ARE going to feel like work. Just like other people have to work, so do I - and would it seem right if what I did for a living was always fun? No way!

I don't know, maybe I am less frustrated than some because I don't understand what trying to "make it" or to "be heard" are. I'm a local entertainer and never once had the dream of hitting it big. It didn't even occur to me back when I might have been young enough to find it plausible, I just didn't recognize that I might have enough musical ability back then. So anyway, I guess I don't find it to be a "dead end" like some other people do. Instead of finding it to be frustrating, it seems like an opportunity - to make money doing something creative, and a lot of other folks don't get to do that, so I enjoy it. And I love doing covers. I don't mind doing some I wrote, but I know a lot more great covers than I do great originals. And some of those songs may have "been done" before.. but I still like them. And fortunately nobody sounds exactly alike so I guess nobody else does them exactly like me.

Sorry, what was this thread about? Oh yeah, it was about set lists. To redirect, if anybody here did look at my list, they'd probably see a certain number of songs they think of as "tasty" tunes, (ones from off the beaten path)... and a whole lot of very popular well known songs. I like these songs!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 AM

bagelsgirl, my thoughts exactly. I end up entertaining myself more then anything, and performing for people is so exciting and so different every night, it dont think it could ever get old. I have no dreams of making it, as far as I am concerned I already have it made. All it takes is seeing another fellow guitar player in the crowd staring at your fingering trying to remember it so he can go home and play it tonight to realize how blessed you are to have the opportunity to perform.

As far as the songlists go, I play the usual stuff with as much variety as I can. I love throwing people off though with stuff like this.

4 non blondes - whats going on
Modonna - like a prayer
Milli Vanilli - blame it on the rain
the cheers theme
Motley Crue - home sweet home
Big and Rich - save a horse, ride a cowboy
Kelly Clarkson - since you've been gone
Scotty doesnt know (from the movie Eurotrip)

theres more, just cant remember them all right now.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstancil
Scotty doesnt know (from the movie Eurotrip)
that's awesome

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell