The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-11-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Taking your advice...I am now practicing scales......which begs the question.....

I don't own a pick, I am a strictly fanger style guy. So as I practive these scales....should I go buy a pick and start using it? What I am doing is practicing scales using my proper right hand finger assignments..... thumb= E A D. index=g, middle=b, ring=e.

Thoughts?

Bob
Old 03-11-2002, 11:32 PM

I would suggest using alternating RH fingering on the G, B, E strings (index and middlef fingers) instead of assigning one finger to each string.

Ken
Old 03-12-2002, 06:02 AM

Isnt the "assign a finger to a string" method what they recommend now? I think thats what is on Chris Proctors training video......
Old 03-12-2002, 09:38 AM

I agree that the best approach is to alternate fingers on a string, either index and middle fingers, or index, middle, and ring. Eventually you will learn that alternating fingers is much faster than using the same finger on a string. Alternating fingers while practicing scales will make it a habit you will find essential in fast runs when playing tunes.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:40 AM

I forgot to mention that assigning one finger to a string is the standard technique in playing arpeggios.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:25 AM

Another alternating RH fingering technique that a lot of fingerstylist use such as Chet, Doyle Dykes, Steven King and Kevin Eubanks, is alternating thumb with either index or middle (all three can be used for triplets per string). The only downside to this approach is the thumb is naturally stronger than the fingers so the accent will always be on the thumbstroke (although with practice, you can make the accent less noticeable and in some styles, this accent is actually desired). I think it's also easier to use a thumbpick with this approach but Steven King and Kevin Eubanks do quite well without one.

GL
Old 03-12-2002, 08:48 PM

Smile

BobS....like was said above...... when playing single note passages.....some form of alternating is desirable for speed....

and I know to get better there is need for some technical deveopment.....

but but but.......guitarists do have a tendency to get too focused on the technical ......can be a trap...

how are you going to practice scales musically???? purposefully????
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-13-2002, 07:13 AM

mapletrees......

ok ...I give.....how?

seriously....I struggle with the scales.....I am working thru a book..."Blues you can Use" ....and doing my scales (however tedious) diligently. But I am not sure how I turn this into music...I am hoping that revelation is over the next hill.....

Bob
Old 03-13-2002, 07:33 PM

Smile

Boo!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-13-2002, 07:34 PM

Question

BobS....are you talking an electric blues soloing book called "Blues you can Use"?

didn't know you were an electric player...
Old 03-13-2002, 08:21 PM

Question AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!

I just typed in a long post......where the heck is it????????????
Old 03-13-2002, 08:23 PM

Smile

BobS....

in any subject or discipline....you'll find a few 'biggies'......fundamental concepts you've got to understand...

in music there's a couple of biggies.......

notes are either chord tones... or they are not......

and

things happen on the beat...or they do not....

doesn't matter if you're talking James Taylor fingerstyle, electric solo twangin', campfire strumming, or whatever....just doesn't matter......

well, that's neat and simple...

take the C major scale.....

C D E F G A B C......

well, no......that's too much....

just take the notes C C++++======+e

dar,m it all to heck....I'm toooooo toaassssted to type....

ok ok ok....

Whjat was that?.....
???????
??????
??????
What was that sound??????

shhhhhhhh......

oh man....not her again......

you know ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

she's pullin' this nonsense every darm time Mrs. Trees is out of the country lately....

my patience is wearing thin.......

excuse me for a second......

(assorted Monty Python cartoon footstep sounds....)

"Yamila! Get off my porch and go home!"

Honestly....

....the nerve of some people........

she won't leave me alone......

mmmmphh...

where were we?

your scales......

ok, take the notes C D E.....they could be the first three notes of C Major or C Major Pentatonic or C Major Hexatonic or C Mixolydian or......doesn't matter.....we want generalized knowledge anyways......

play them here

xxx5xx C

xxx7xx D

xxx 9xx E

or wherever you want to play them.....

get the metronome clicking...I dunno....100 bpm.....no metrome police.......head bobbing....foot tapping.....

play (on the beat)

4 beats of E
4 beats of D
4 beats of C
4 beats of sweet silence

over and over and over and over......

say (better yet - sing) the names of the notes as you play them.....
Old 03-13-2002, 08:25 PM

Question

Waht the hey??????

There it is........
Old 03-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Question

just lost another post...grrrrrrrrrrr.....

I login...type...then it tells me I'm not logged in when I 'submit'....

this time can't find it......(can't get forward or back in my browser to find it.....)

anyone have a clue?
Old 03-15-2002, 07:45 AM

Monty,
which instinstitution are you in, we can call the nurse and have her check you puter..

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell