The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Larson - The Real Deal vs Luthier Built

I had the great pleasure of playing this old Larson 0/00 at Schoenberg. It has Brazilian rosewood back and sides. What an incredibly powerful and soulful guitar. Exactly what a great Larson should be. The whole guitar vibrates with each pluck, and notes pretty much launch themselves off the sound board. It's very sweet all over with that seductive Larson mid range and rocket powered response.

This Schoenberg Larson-style guitar, which is the OM big brother absolutely nails that Larson sound. It's really cool to hear the real deal right next to a modern interpretation. It has much more brightness and clarity than I usually associate with Indian rosewood. The back and sides are also kind of light colored and give the guitar a great look. It's finished with French polish, which makes it feel kind of vintage right out of the gate. Huge power available on this guitar with wonderful clarity. I'm very impressed by Eric's work with Robert Anderson. The Carpathian spruce is a great blend of powerful and played-in. Absolutely nails an old Larson. Gorgeous looks and playability to boot.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:48 AM

Very sweet...

Love that Larson spirit.

Which luthier made it?

Ah - the answers in the text!

Props to him...

D

Last edited by DamianL; 01-01-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I've never played a Larson, but the Larson inspired guitars from Hans Brentrup were great. But, I have to say that one of his later builds that was a ladder braced grand concert was my favorite (not at all what I expected from ladde bracing).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've never played a Larson, but the Larson inspired guitars from Hans Brentrup were great. But, I have to say that one of his later builds that was a ladder braced grand concert was my favorite (not at all what I expected from ladde bracing).
Yeah, I remember his cool old school builds. Always outside of the norm. I had a Montuoro that was a gem. A nice 000-12 with koa back and sides. Wish I still had it.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Robert Anderson is my favorite of the luthiers working for Schoenberg. Alan Perlman built a Larson modeled on a vintage piece in the store and it lasted about a week. Both Alan and Robert have a knack for Larson style builds.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Nice guitars .. both!

I've had the good fortune to play several vintage Larsons that truly opened my eyes and ears to qualities I immediately came to like .. and find in very few other guitar makes. Had a custom dark top 00 built that really captures the Larson tone.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Robert Anderson is my favorite of the luthiers working for Schoenberg. Alan Perlman built a Larson modeled on a vintage piece in the store and it lasted about a week. Both Alan and Robert have a knack for Larson style builds.
Oh yeah, they mentioned Alan, who I've also met. I've never played one of his guitars, though. I was REALLY impressed with Robert's work. I mean dead on Larson tone and beautiful look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerfan View Post
Nice guitars .. both!

I've had the good fortune to play several vintage Larsons that truly opened my eyes and ears to qualities I immediately came to like .. and find in very few other guitar makes. Had a custom dark top 00 built that really captures the Larson tone.

Gorgeous guitar! Who built it?
Old 01-01-2017, 04:03 PM

That dark-top was built by Tony Klassen, New Era Guitars .. Red Spruce top and D. Stevensonii. It projects like bullets with amazing hang-in-the-air trebles.

He used some very straight, tight-grained old growth rosewood..

Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

A Larson has always been my dream guitar. Or at least one of my dream guitars that I haven't owned yet. They are not easy to come by and I didn't have time to wait to get one built. Someday maybe.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That dark-top was built by Tony Klassen, New Era Guitars .. Red Spruce top and D. Stevensonii. It projects like bullets with amazing hang-in-the-air trebles.

He used some very straight, tight-grained old growth rosewood..

Projects like bullets . . . I love it. Pretty much defines Larson sound.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
A Larson has always been my dream guitar. Or at least one of my dream guitars that I haven't owned yet. They are not easy to come by and I didn't have time to wait to get one built. Someday maybe.
Yeah, they are super cool. My first experience was a Montuoro that I bought used on a lark. Wish I still had it. Then a few vintage Larsons at Schoenberg. They are super cool.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Alan Perlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Is a great builder. Stevie Coyle plays a Stahl style 6 recreation built by Alan that is just awesome. So beautiful and sounds exactly how you'd hope...there was a sister guitar built that was available that taunted me for quite a while.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Yes, the real deal originals are hard to come across, but they are out there. Here's my other luthier built ...

Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the real deal originals are hard to come across, but they are out there. Here's my other luthier built ...

Also awesome! Who made that one?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM

I'm also a Larson brothers fan. In particular, I like the Brazilian rosewood 12 fretters with the laminated X braces.

A clip of my 00 sized Maurer:

Here is a reproduction of my Fretboard Journal article about all of things Larson.

By Any Other Name.

Last edited by jt1; 01-02-2017 at 10:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop