The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Default new fish with a few questions re qsc vs line array

New here and reading with great interest the discussion of the Bose/BA/Solo and qsc K series. After a search, I haven't seen any direct comparison to each other though. I am beginning to get the horses for courses drift, though I think both could cover the same track (sorry, I will stop). So..has anyone done an apples to apples? More so in coverage from the Line Array vs the "single point".

I am also curious about the low end of the line array systems, as there always seems to be a caveat about including a sub if there's a "bass". I play a Rick Turner Tenor Deuce bass..5 strings, 30" scale, tuned "a" (the "a" on a conventional bass, somewhere around 60 hz) to "F" in 4th's..DTAR piezo and RT's custom wound mag pu, in dual mono..and while that is traditional (?) baritone range..I usually use it in a "bass" function (playing in small ensembles with all acoustic instruments..drums, hand perc, reeds) Anyone here doing the same? Or if not, then playing a bari through any of the systems above? I need some real world stuff here..and I would really rather carry one speaker than a "system". Most of the time it serves as a personal monitor, though it would be nice..

Also..has anyone come up with a NON powered line array? If I wanted to use a Genz Compak to power the speaker for example.

glad to be here, I have picked up a few things already. mostly good things!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp352 View Post
New here and reading with great interest the discussion of the Bose/BA/Solo and qsc K series. After a search, I haven't seen any direct comparison to each other though. I am beginning to get the horses for courses drift, though I think both could cover the same track (sorry, I will stop). So..has anyone done an apples to apples? More so in coverage from the Line Array vs the "single point".

I am also curious about the low end of the line array systems, as there always seems to be a caveat about including a sub if there's a "bass". I play a Rick Turner Tenor Deuce bass..5 strings, 30" scale, tuned "a" (the "a" on a conventional bass, somewhere around 60 hz) to "F" in 4th's..DTAR piezo and RT's custom wound mag pu, in dual mono..and while that is traditional (?) baritone range..I usually use it in a "bass" function (playing in small ensembles with all acoustic instruments..drums, hand perc, reeds) Anyone here doing the same? Or if not, then playing a bari through any of the systems above? I need some real world stuff here..and I would really rather carry one speaker than a "system". Most of the time it serves as a personal monitor, though it would be nice..

Also..has anyone come up with a NON powered line array? If I wanted to use a Genz Compak to power the speaker for example.

glad to be here, I have picked up a few things already. mostly good things!

There are many scattered threads comparing the BoseL1, Bose Compact, SoloAmp, and BagAmp. Some are head to head comparisons and many who have had different combos of these over the years that have opinions.

My $.02 for your application I would think would be a K10 or maybe a K12 as not to use a sub with the others. That's just a guess btw.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 PM

thanks Bob..I read all (most?) of the reviews of the columns, what I was looking for was a toe to toe with the K series, especially as related to lower hz...baritones, maybe an ABG.

I liked the K's a lot, especially with a DTAR Solstice, but having wandered over here and reading all the interesting things about the line arrays, I thought I'd inquire.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification