The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Which system would be a good match for my L-03 Bubinga?

Hey there everybody. I just got a Larrivee L-03 Bubinga, and I'm not sure which way to go - electronics wise. The sound is very thick/full and I really don't want to end up with a boomy, undefined mess but I don't want brittle and sterile either. I lead worship - usually solo - and I'm planning to start doing some small, solo open mic type things in the future. I like sidemount preamps, simply because I'd rather have one hole than a bunch of different junk stuck to the inside of my guitar in different places. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Baggs iMix Onboard - I've heard great things about this system, but I've also read a couple of reviews here that said the iBeam sounded dull and pretty much useless. Could be a placement issue, who knows?

B-Band A10 - Dual source AST/UST with sidemount pre. This preamp has more eq and more features than the Baggs, and I found one for quite a bit less than the iMix (I think it's been discontinued). But, I can't find nearly as many reviews on this one.

I've also considered doing a non-invasive, single source passive setup like an iBeam or K&K Pure. This would be the most affordable option as I have an unopened K&K pickup and an Ultrasound DI Plus sitting at the house. And, it would require the least amount of modification to the guitar. My fear is giving up the flexibility/versatility of a dual source system, and the plug & play ease of an onboard preamp.

So, here are my questions:

Does anybody have experience with these systems in a kinda boomy guitar?

Does anybody have experience with any of the B-Band AST/UST systems?

Is anybody loving or hating solo gigging with a passive soundboard transducer like the iBeam or K&K? Any feedback problems?

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Musical minimalist

my personal preference has always been the Passive I-beam or K&K in the guitar with an external preamp. Way more flexibility down the road for the "next new thing" in preamps. Take the money you save by going that route and get yourself a decent quality (external) SD condensor and your tone will be great.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Another +1 for your K&K, I prefer the external XLR preamp myself. Clean, simple and true sounding. I had heard of the feedback issue too so I got a couple of those nice lutehole covers but have yet to need them even in close quarters and loud situations. I'm either luckey or the issue has been overstated a time or two.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Last week I replaced a B-Band a2.2 XOM pickup with a K&K western mini and a Sunrise magnetic pickup in a dual-source configuration. Wow! I couldn't be happier. I've had several guitars with just the K&K mini, but I needed something a bit more flexible. I stand in front of a Bose L1 and feedback can sometimes be a problem. The sunrise sounds so good and the dual-source combination gives me the ability to play louder without feedback.

So... I think the K&K is always a great place to start. You can see if it gives you what you need. If so, you're done! If you want to go dual source at that point, you have lots of options. You can add an internal mic, a magnetic pickup like the sunrise or LR Baggs M1, or one of the other great pickup choices out there. I am an electronics novice and I found it quite manageable to solder up the sunrise to the K&K jack.

Let us know what path you decide to take - it sure is a fun process.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification