The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Looking for affordable ES 125 copies

Hello, everyone, I would like you to help with some information, might be a level 2 mission :-)

My dream guitar is a deep bodied vintage Gibson ES-125, but currently, and in foreseeable time I won't be able to gather an extra $900-1500 plus duty, tax and shipping (an estimate $5-600) for an original.
I know there are two cheaper and new alternatives, the Godin Kingpin and the Washburn B-15 which look the part but the later is a small bodied quite different model in reality, and I couldn't yet try the Godin, but it seems to be a heavier build and have read a few less than favourable reviews about the sound being dull and not lively on the Gibson forum...

So if you can point me to some single P-90 alternatives, preferably non cutaway, be them japanese copies from the 1970s '80s or newer stuff, or anything that could look and sound the part, like a vintage Epiphone version or something I just need an aftermarket P-90.

Thanks for your opinions and information.

Montag
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Well, not exactly what you're looking for, but I had this for awhile and loved it. It had a very similar vibe to a real 50's Gibby 125 cutaway I also tried.

http://www.jayturser.com/jt-139t.php

The P-90's were quite satisfying to my ears.

I sold it to my singer to fund a Gretsch Synchromatic Archtop purchase:
http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/i...&cat2=&q=&st=1

It's really cool how you can get some pretty nice guitars for decent money these days! I payed $350 for the Turser and $700 for the Gretsch

Good luck!

Vince
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Believe Alvarez made a copy in the 90's.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info Vince, I checked them out but the body shape is a main attraction in the non-cutaway ES 125, and there's no Tursers without one.

HHP, that's very interesting. I just checked quickly if I can find anything on the web, but not really... Also checked Aria, but they only have something similar to the Washburn B15, with a floating minibucker.

I remember (hopefully correctly) to have seen an exact replica in a Washburn catalogue early 2000s but don't know the year of the brochure.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 AM

Another thing I thought of since you mentioned the Godins - Gretsch makes a non cutaway acoustic version of the Synchromatic Archtop I got. I compared the Gretsch and the Godin and preferred the voice of the Gretsch. It's my main jazz axe right now. You would have to put the pickup in, though, but that might be a good thing.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks, will check it out if possible...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 AM

Well, it looks good, the price too.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Another possibility for you - try a Godin 5th Avenue. If you find the acoustic voice more pleasing than that of the Kingpin, it's very straightforward to add a floating pickup to it. That's what I've done with mine, and I'm very pleased with the results - however, I have no way of comparing it to an ES-125.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks eastwodo,

Well the thing is, I want a very raw but warm sounding electric for indie folk/garage rock.
I'm very pleased with my acoustic guitars for the delicate stuff, and my Riviera Elite for clean electric work/delicate stuff, and don't intend to play jazz, so the floating pickup is out the window, a rootsy honky loud electric sound, with strong barky middles like that of the 125 is what I'm looking for for accompaniment.
I really should try the Kingpin to hear/feel the difference between that and a real ES125, but they're not available round here, only on order, and too expensive to buy blind.

Anyone have a Kingpin with single P90 round here?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Come on folks, still needing more info, please?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM

If you can find one check out the Loar LH500SN I have a Loar with an round sound hole{LH400NA} its the same size as my Gibson L48 which if I'm not mistaken was the acoustic version of the ES125.The best to aftermarket P90's I've played are the Kent Armstrong which is an import and my favorite pickup's ever Lindy Fralin's.Should mount easy and a volumn/tone can be added.
My tools-Larrivee OM03PA and J05,72 Harmony made Fender 12 string,Guild JF30 6+12,Stagg E/A,Guild Starfire bass,a couple of Tele's,65 Gibson L48 and a 49 L7,mando,balzuki,a couple of Gretsch's,72 Fender Princton Reverb,Ultra Sound AC30 and a bunch of other toys.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM

That Loar is a real beauty and the price is great, but it's more refined than the ES 125, being all solid wood, and while the price is peanuts for that sort of quality, with the shipping over the pond and across half the EU it would cost much more than I can spend, and I wouldn't possibly have an aftermarket pup installed into it's "handcarved spruce top"!

But I'll try to track down a European distributor just in case I change my mind. :-)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:35 PM

There are multiple dealers around, so if can't afford a vintage Gibbie, I'll have one of these.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 PM

You'll need to get a dogeared P90.I know its solid wood but I've never found anything else that come's close.
My tools-Larrivee OM03PA and J05,72 Harmony made Fender 12 string,Guild JF30 6+12,Stagg E/A,Guild Starfire bass,a couple of Tele's,65 Gibson L48 and a 49 L7,mando,balzuki,a couple of Gretsch's,72 Fender Princton Reverb,Ultra Sound AC30 and a bunch of other toys.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 AM

Yeah I 've already chosen the P90 make I'm gonna fit, it's gonna be from Bare Knuckle Pickups in the UK

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

now I just need to find the right guitar :-)
Also, I don't really like scratchplate mount pots, but finding a way around that is sadly a future problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification