The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Sound hole PU or K&K PWM

I am curious, what are your thoughts on whiich is better, more convenient, more natural sounding?

Thanks

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM

It depends on your application.

The PWM is very natural sounding but is entirely unfit for use in a loud ensemble setting. I consider it a toy compared to the ES or a Sunrise. Unless you like feedback that is. But it you are recording or playing quietly amped, the PWM sounds very nice and natural.

If you need to play at high SPLs look into the Sunrise and S1 pre box, or an ES retofit.

All imnsho.

Lizzard
Old 09-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Sound hole pickups do not sound natural to me. They make an acoustic guitar sound more like an electric guitar with a very clean sound. But sound hole pickups have a good sound on their own though. You have to like it.

I recently bought a K&K Trinity system that I could test with my HD28 Martin for a few minutes before my Bose L1 PA system failed (the ToneMatch module actually). So I barely had the time to test it and hear how it sounds like. But the little I heard was great! And I will publish a review here in a few days when my PA system is working again.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 PM

I had a Sunrise.
I sold a Sunrise.
It's heavy and my top vibration was dampened.
Before I ever plugged in.

I play a K&K.
I play loudly in loud band enviroments.
I learned how to set a preamp with notch and phase.
K&K is more natural sounding to me than a magnetic.
I don't feedback.
I used to.
Then, I learned stuff.
I still don't have all the answers.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou777 View Post
I am curious, what are your thoughts on whiich is better, more convenient, more natural sounding?

Thanks
The combination of the 2 is really nice...
Old 09-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Thanks

lizzard for your nsho , tochiro, I will look for that review, and DMZ

It looks like I will go with the K&K.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The combination of the 2 is really nice...
You got that in there while I was thanking the others, Thanks

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

there is no best and IMHO, there isn't even a "most accurate." Every amplification system tor an acoustic guitar is a series of compromises between price, complexity, accuracy, and feedback resistance. Plus you add the psycho-acoustic difference that happens when you try to make an intimate acoustic instrument like a guitar loud enough to hear in a large venue... the experience cannot be the same. Plus, even the best of external microphones each add their own flavor to the sound and the sound changes depending on miking techniques.

The bottom line is that only you can decide which system works best for you in your setting. And be aware that no matter what you use or how expensive the system, your guitar in a large venue at X decibels will never and cannot ever sound/feel exactly the way it does in a living room with a couple of friends.

For me, a magnetic (Sunrise) and a SBT (McIntyre) gives the best approximation of what I want in amplifying my Lowden. I don't attempt to get my Lowden only louder, I aim at my Lowden only bigger. But that is my goal. Yours may be very different. And in a different situation, my goal would be different and the pickup system I would use might be different as well.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use a LR Baggs M1. Its a soundhole pickup I can use it in any of my guitars and any future ones I may get. It has a good natural sound. The amp I use is a Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
there is no best and IMHO, there isn't even a "most accurate." Every amplification system tor an acoustic guitar is a series of compromises between price, complexity, accuracy, and feedback resistance. Plus you add the psycho-acoustic difference that happens when you try to make an intimate acoustic instrument like a guitar loud enough to hear in a large venue... the experience cannot be the same. Plus, even the best of external microphones each add their own flavor to the sound and the sound changes depending on miking techniques.

The bottom line is that only you can decide which system works best for you in your setting. And be aware that no matter what you use or how expensive the system, your guitar in a large venue at X decibels will never and cannot ever sound/feel exactly the way it does in a living room with a couple of friends.

For me, a magnetic (Sunrise) and a SBT (McIntyre) gives the best approximation of what I want in amplifying my Lowden. I don't attempt to get my Lowden only louder, I aim at my Lowden only bigger. But that is my goal. Yours may be very different. And in a different situation, my goal would be different and the pickup system I would use might be different as well.
Must be the wine, this is a great perspective...
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Must be the wine, this is a great perspective...
yeah... enough Santa Barbara Syrah or Pinot Noir and everything is the best
that's me on guitar
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Yeah, but the Santa Barbara Syrah is entirely unfit for use in a loud ensemble setting. I consider it a toy compared to the Pinot Noir.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use a LR Baggs M1. Its a soundhole pickup I can use it in any of my guitars and any future ones I may get. It has a good natural sound. The amp I use is a Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP
I've had alot of acoustic electric guitars over the years including some pretty nice ones. I currently have a Alvarez MD60 that I put a LR Baggs M1a in and it sounds as good as any other I've ever owned! I play through a Ultrasound AG30.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Yeah, but the Santa Barbara Syrah is entirely unfit for use in a loud ensemble setting. I consider it a toy compared to the Pinot Noir.
Actually, the syrah usually has a higher alcohol content... which makes you get really loud. It is true that the Pinot snobs feel it is the most elegant of wines

I like both
that's me on guitar
Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Default alohachris

Aloha,

Back from surfing da Mokes!

Eh, I think whoever designed the ES really had too much wine and buds. Hope it wasn't Bob.

The K&K may look like a toy but the ES sounds and breaks like a cheap toy.

alohachris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification