The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Community College Guitar programs/lessons?

Have any of you tried local community college guitar programs? Ours offers private lesson and a beginning guitar class. I am curious to the typical experience if any of you have had . . . I cant find a local instructor at a music store that's organized at all. I have tried 3. They all start each lesson with . . "What did we do last time?". No organized lessons, just a "let's do this lick of the week". I feel like I have been doing better on my own following books.

Due to a family situation, I have not been playing at all for the last 4-5 months. No time at all. Now I am ready to jump back in with both feet and plow forward.

wayne

Last edited by waynep; 05-01-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Usually the group guitar classes I have seen offered are like adult enrichment, basic beginner stuff for steel string players, check into it. (You don't want to be in a class of adults learning to strum G C and D for the first time... if you are past that point. Or maybe the class might be elementary sight reading/beginning classical, etc. Maybe you want to learn that, maybe you don't. I am just saying, my advise would be to ask questions before you sign up, so you don't get into something you weren't looking to get into.)

Private guitar lessons at a college are almost always going to focus on classical technique, and reading, etc. Also, you should call to make sure that the private lessons are even available to non music majors. (Sometimes they aren't, because they just have enough instructors to accomodate the music program, etc.)

But do check into it!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 PM

I haven't tried the guitar courses, but I've been taking a basic music theory coarse at my local community college. The course I'm taking has been great. The instructor also teaches the guitar courses. A couple of the students in my class are also taking the guitar classes and are very happy with the them. One thing, though, is that they are taught in a group setting so the amount of one on one attention will vary depending on the size of the class. Also, the class will probably move along at the pace of the slowest students, so you my find yourself ready to move on before the class does.

Dave

Last edited by DaveG; 05-01-2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-2006, 02:44 PM

When I was 17 (30 years ago!) I took private guitar lessons at Tarrant County Junior College (TCJC) from a guy named Jim Wells. Taught me a bunch of chord solos (Wave, Everythings Alright, Bumpin' On Sunset, etc.). That was a turning point in my playing and knowing those tunes helped me get into Jack Peterson's master class at NTSU a couple years later.

It was a great experience for me.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 PM

Man y'all have nice community colleges. I went to a community college and it didn't have guitar courses. Ole Miss doesn't either...
Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I never looked into a community college program, but its a good idea. Maybe when my son is older and I'll have time to try that.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell