The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Recording advice...please help

Hi. I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been lurking for some time. A friend and I have been attempting to record some acoustic duo tracks for a cheap demo to pass around to bars, clubs, etc. We've had moderate success recording ourselves with only the most basic knowledge of the recording process. I'm looking to better that knowledge...and to be honest, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the vocabulary thrown about in this forum. Here's what we have.

2 acoustic guitars w/ pickups into
1 Mackie mixer with 8 inputs
2 vocal microphones
all running from the mixer to my laptop computer and recorded with Audacity.

We do all levels work at the mixer level. Then, the signal goes into my laptop via the microphone input. Then we simply burn our essentially "live" recordings to CD.

What would you all recommend we do next to achieve a higher-quality sound?

I appreciate your time to respond.
Mark
Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

There are two issues that should be identified and discussed first:

1) What you are doing is mixing the various sources (sounds like 4 sources - 2 guitars, 2 vocals) as you are recording, ending up with one or two final tracks in Audacity. This is fine. However, you will end up with better final recordings if you can record each track separately (creating 4 tracks in Audacity) and afterwards mix it all together into a stereo two track mix.

2) You didn't mention what soundcard you have in your computer, but if it's the one that came with your computer, it probably sucks for recording. So, from a harware standpoint you should consider replacing the soundcard or get one of the firewire or usb external boxes. You will have to decide whether the new soundcard or external unit will have two simulatneous inputs or more inputs. If you get one with just two inputs, you will not solve issue # 1 above, although you can partially solve it by recording at different times (say record the two guitars and later record the two vocals using playback via headphones). If you get a 4 simulatneous input soundcard or interface unit, you can then fix issue # 1 above, except for the bleeding issue (we can talk about that later) which can also be fixed to a large extent.

Well, that's a start on your questions.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktsc
...What would you all recommend we do next to achieve a higher-quality sound?
Hi Mark...
For better quality, record the guitars & vocals with condenser mics, and upgrade to some sort of interface - either USB or Firewire. You would of course have to purchase an interface with enough inputs, or you would need to record tracks and then add them via overdubbing.

With a mic like the Behringer B-2 your could use a pair of them in mid-side configuration and record the two of you playing and singing at the same time. This would require you to balance your sound by listening and adjusting the actual acoutic sound as you play together.

The Tascam US-122 or the Lexicon Lambda both record two channels in, provide phantom power for the condenser mics, headphone jacks, and Cubase LE - a great software recording program.

Lexicon Lambda - click

Tascam US-122 - click

Behringer B-2 - click

The reason I mentioned the B-2 is it has switchable patterns including figure 8 and omni for recording multiple artists at the same time. You could use one on each of you in the omni mode and capture both singing and playing at the same time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Hi. I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been lurking for some time. A friend and I have been attempting to record some acoustic duo tracks for a cheap demo to pass around to bars, clubs, etc. We've had moderate success recording ourselves with only the most basic knowledge of the recording process. I'm looking to better that knowledge...and to be honest, I'm not very familiar with a lot of the vocabulary thrown about in this forum. Here's what we have.

2 acoustic guitars w/ pickups into
1 Mackie mixer with 8 inputs
2 vocal microphones
all running from the mixer to my laptop computer and recorded with Audacity.

We do all levels work at the mixer level. Then, the signal goes into my laptop via the microphone input. Then we simply burn our essentially "live" recordings to CD.

What would you all recommend we do next to achieve a higher-quality sound?

I appreciate your time to respond.
Mark
Number one above all, develop your singing and playing to the highest level, and develop the most compelling arrangements you possibly can. The material and performance is far and away the most important part of any recording.

Number two, improve the acoustics of your recording space. Bridge all the corners, including ceiling to wall junctions, with 2'x4' 4" thick panels of OC703 rigid fiberglass, wrapped in fireproof cloth. Cover 80% of the ceiling and 50% of the walls with the same panels, but suspend them 4" from the surface.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Number three, add two mics for your guitars to replace or at least supplement the pickups. Almost any decent mic will sound more natural than a pickup.

http://www.fxguidry.com/mictest1/index.htm

Number four, experiment extensively with mic placement.

Fran

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 04-28-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 AM

Thanks so much for the replies. I have another question, though (I'm a newbie to all this stuff). I'm sure the soundcard in my laptop is not very good for this stuff....so I'm thinking of getting on of those USB interfaces (Tascam US-122, for example). Now, if i do, will I need to still upgrade my soundcard or not? Will it make a difference? Also, will this record 4 multiple tracks like I want to do? And if so, how will the computer know to record 4 tracks, instead of one (won't there just be 1 input into the computer?). I've only had limited experience (as you can see) with Audacity and only having one track.

HOpe these questions make sense.

thanks,
Mark
Old 05-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
....Also, will this record 4 multiple tracks like I want to do? And if so, how will the computer know to record 4 tracks, instead of one (won't there just be 1 input into the computer?). I've only had limited experience (as you can see) with Audacity and only having one track.
Hi Mark...
I cannot answer the sound card issue as a Mac user. I can answer the other question.

If you want to record 4 tracks at once (each guitar and each voice on a separate track) the 2 track units like the TASCAM or Lexicon will not suffice. There are a handful of 4 track devices.

Another alternative is to record one of you individually and ''overdub'' the other. Or you could record both guitars together, and then overdub the vocals together.

Last alternative is to mix the four signals on a stand alone mixer and feed a stereo output to a two track unit...by far the least desireable option since it offers the least editing capability later.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell