The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Good pickup choice for deep bodied redwood OM?

So I picked up a redwood Baruke guitar from the forum awhile back and have found it to be about the nicest playing, best sounding acoustic ever except that it is so deep and rich that I have trouble with getting a pickup that works well. It started with a b-band under saddle and I switched over to a b-band A2 transducer that was better, but I just can't seem to get it placed well or ??? I'm wondering if the multisouce would be a good try. I need to be able to play in a large room over the PA with and without a full band. I've tried for awhile to just find another guitar for that venue, but I keep coming back to really loving the playability and tone of the Baruke. So I wondered maybe if I wasn't so cheap on the pickup/preamp maybe I really don't need another guitar. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Musical minimalist

I'd probably say the K&K pure mini...sometimes more isn't better in regards to pickup systems. I think with the deep bodied instrument you might be running into some of the trouble. You didn't really mention what the "problem" has been with the other systems, but if you're guitar is Redwood topped and (you didn't mention this either) EIR b/s, you are probably getting too much rumble? The K and K will help take away some of that if it's EQ'd properly, it's relatively inexpensive and non-invasive (just one lead from the pickup to the endpin) and one of the better low cost options out there. It doesn't require a preamp, but certainly performs better with one. K&K makes a few different options in that respect.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Sorry. Yes it is rosewood back/sides and both feedback and boominess are my issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification