The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 AM

Are you using the effects of the multieffect?

There's lots of preamps - and amps - where all you need between the amp and the mixer is a cable. Either instrument cable or XLR
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE=Irish Pennant;5685499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post

I'm still trying to trace down where the hot is coming from. Here's where I'm at. I plug the guitar directly into the mixer and set the gain to where the meter is hardly registering the signal. I then run the guitar through the Radial Direct into the same channel on the mixer, with no adjustments, the gain is clipping. I unplug the channel and then connect a vocal mic to the channel, the signal has no clipping. For powering the RD I'm using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power ISO 5, 9v-100mA socket, I've tried two other sources for powering the RD. I think I've done all I can do to eliminate all potential areas for signal contamination. All that's left is the RD is sending a hot signal. I'm open to try something else before sending it back.
You really should call Radial and talk to them about this.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Paleolith54;5685885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post

You really should call Radial and talk to them about this.
I've been emailing them. They are close now for Good Friday.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Does the Radial JDX reactor direct drive have 2 channels ? One for clean and another for distortion ? or do you have to put a distortion box in line with it ? thanks, I am interested in this ....

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM

Does the Radial JDX reactor direct drive have 2 channels ? One for clean and another for distortion ? or do you have to put a distortion box in line with it ? thanks, I am interested in this ....

Has anyone tried the ATOMIC AMPLI-FIREBOX ? You tube videos sound promising, and it has clean + distortion + effects

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 04-10-2018, 12:05 AM

Default Electric through a Mixer/PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post

No it doesn’t. Just to clarify: the JDX Reactor is a 48v powered line box that sits between the power amp section of a guitar amp and its speaker thus using both the Reactor’s circuitry and the speaker’s own back impulses to produce an authentic direct signal. It is intended to replace the need for a microphone in front of the speaker. It needs the speaker connected in order for it (and the amp) to work properly.

The JDX Direct Drive doesn’t have channels either. It actually replaces an amp entirely and goes at the very end of the chain before connecting to a mixer or other balanced input (say on a powered monitor/speaker). The only controls on it are voicing options to simulate Marshall-like stack or Fender-like combo (my personal preference) as well as a presence boost (as well as the normal features you would find on any decent DI box, ie ground lift and polarity reverse).
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 04-10-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:16 AM

Resurrecting this thread.

I've kept the Radial JDX Direct Drive, taken the Zoom and the looper off the board. I added a Blackstar HT Modulation pedal. My signal path as of now is Tube Screamer>Blackstar>MXR 10 Band EQ>Radial JDX. There seems to be one missing element, a noise gate or a compressor? something to tame some of the spiked harshness that occurs when using the Tube Screamer. Maybe both pedals? I'm open to suggestions. Also, where in the chain should a compressor be added?

The Blackstar HT Modulation pedal has been a very positive add on, it's a keeper.

This has been a work of discovery and a work in progress.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 05-27-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Resurrecting this thread.

I've kept the Radial JDX Direct Drive, taken the Zoom and the looper off the board. I added a Blackstar HT Modulation pedal. My signal path as of now is Tube Screamer>Blackstar>MXR 10 Band EQ>Radial JDX. There seems to be one missing element, a noise gate or a compressor? something to tame some of the spiked harshness that occurs when using the Tube Screamer. Maybe both pedals? I'm open to suggestions. Also, where in the chain should a compressor be added?

The Blackstar HT Modulation pedal has been a very positive add on, it's a keeper.

This has been a work of discovery and a work in progress.

Compressors can be added at the front or end of the chain, the results will be of course different. Others can chip in with their experience and preferences with comp near the end of the chain. Mine comes after the tuner and before the overdrive. By squashing the peaks you get increased sustain as well as that great country sound. By raising the volume/gain level on the compressor it can also be used as a booster - by putting it before the overdrive it of course changes the level going in, and so the volume boost also gives the overdrive more, well, overdrive! Post-overdrive placement would still give some of the sustain and peak levelling results but without the change of character on the overdrive!

Compressor pedals will often have tone controls as well as the usual threshold, ratio, attack and gain controls etc and become an additional way of increasing the available tones at your command as well as the actual compression. I only got my first compression pedal a few years ago, a Wampler Ego. It’s a very versatile pedal which colours the tone a bit - not a bad thing in itself but something for me to be aware of. A friend of mine had two Carl Martin pedals so I tried one of them and it now sits on my board: low noise and fairly neutral in how it handles the original guitar tone. I’m not saying one is better than the other but the CM is remaining on the board for now...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Compression works best up front imho. It'd hard to tell exactly what your question is. If you are having hiss and hum then the gate is what you want, if you want to even off your dynamics then a compressor is. Two very different things. Compressors even off everything which includes low level hiss so it will essentially amplify any hiss you have, that's why it's best before and if you do get a gate put the gate after all your noisy pedals including the compressor, or put it in the gates loop if it has one.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Compressors can be added at the front or end of the chain, the results will be of course different. Others can chip in with their experience and preferences with comp near the end of the chain. Mine comes after the tuner and before the overdrive. By squashing the peaks you get increased sustain as well as that great country sound. By raising the volume/gain level on the compressor it can also be used as a booster - by putting it before the overdrive it of course changes the level going in, and so the volume boost also gives the overdrive more, well, overdrive!
+1

Also, FWIW...I sold my JDX Drive and replaced it with a Vox MV Clean head. FANTASTIC. Fits on my board. Is an ACTUAL amp head, not a simulator. Built in attenuator, line out to board and line to cab simultaneously if desired.

I'm running it at the end of my board, right where my JDX was, and straight out to the Allen and Heath. UNBELIEVABLY good tones. FAR better than I ever got with the JDX Direct Drive.

And, I almost recouped enough from the Direct Drive to fund the VOX.

IMO, this is the way to go if running out to a PA. Portable, consistent. EASY.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 05-29-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 AM

I mostly plug my electrics "direct" into pa mixer AFTER the following: octaver, comp, dist, LR Baggs Para DI, tube pre, volume pedal, tuner, chorus, delay, verb, gate, loop. The tube pre- with the right tube in it gives me terrific tube sound. And the comp at the beginning is my preference.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I know you’ve got the gear already, but I bought a Tech 21 Cali Fly Rig, and it’s great. It’s portable, sounds terrific and I can connect it to a small monitor speaker, if I want, as well as to the PA. Might be worth looking at.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:39 PM

+1 on the Fly Rigs. I used one into a powered speaker a while back and was quite impressed. I'm strictly an amp only guy too.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Smile Electric guitar direct through P.A.

Way back, must have been in the late 80's or early 90's, I used a Rockman X100 and a Boss Analog Delay pedal and went direct. Our P.A. system was real good with Bose speakers, so I didn't sound too bad. I wouldn't recommended it though! Worked for a while for quick setups. I haven't checked any of the new stuff.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Default MFX UNITS

You will need a Multi FX guitar unit to get what you after .

I use a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X - it's not cheap - there are other units out there that are less
costly that will do it .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars