The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Default 5 watts or less tube amp.

I have a PRRI and I like it very much. But I can't crank it at home.

I sold a guitar so I could by a nice tube amp for the living room to use with my new (to me) 335.

Swart, old Fender Champ, or what? I can play clean through the PRRI, so I'm looking for something that will rumble and growl at relatively low volumes. Any and all recommendations are welcome. I should be able to try quite a few locally, though I don't think any Swart dealers are in Portland.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 PM

I wouldn't know where to begin. But the search for the tone you want should be fun and informative. I hope this helps:
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps/...combos?query=5
Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 PM

Be advised, 5 watts--heck, even 1 watt--can be loud enough to get the cops called on you, depending on where you live. I was blasting my 5W Blackstar HT-5R today and it was getting pretty intense.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I like my Blackstar 5R.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
...I'm looking for something that will rumble and growl at relatively low volumes. Any and all recommendations are welcome. I should be able to try quite a few locally...
My low-watt rig:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V5Infinium
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V5PC
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/820H
http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package (15% off sale in progress until 6/30)

Available at any GC, and proof positive you don't need to spend $1K for boutique tone...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

My low watt amp is a Vox Lil Night Train. I run it through an Egnater cab. Lots of fun.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:07 AM

A few ways to go:
- amp with master volume: you can get the preamp running hot.
- 1 watt, or much less, for power amp to run hot too.
- power soak between your amp and speaker
- good dirt pedal in front of your current amp
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 AM

Ones I have tried/owned or liked-
VHT special 6 ultra
Blackstar HT
Both can be found used for less than $300.
If vintage is your bag then Champs and Princetons are great.
Finally I would recommend a Katana 50 if you are willing to go modelling. They are awesome amps that help solve the volume prob.

Last edited by Scotso; 06-08-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Fender Blues Junior is 10w I think. I bought one. I replaced the reverb tank with an aftermarket.

It's incredible. Now I have a dumb Line6 and Mustang hanging around unused.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 AM

If you can't crank your Princeton, you probably won't be able to crank a 5-watt amp, either. There's not much difference in volume between 5 watts and 15 watts - the power/volume scale says that any doubling of power results in just a 3db increase in volume. For reference, I have both a PRRI and a Vibro Champ - the Champ sits right on top of the Princeton. Their volumes are very similar. And the Champ does growl at relatively low volumes, but that's due to its circuit, not its power output.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:27 AM

Love my Blackstar...and you can use headphones with it.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:25 AM

I would choose the Carr Raleigh (3w, EL84):

Or the Jackson Ampworks McFly (6V6, can power scale down to a fraction of a watt):

You've got the iconic 335 and probably dropped north of $2K to make it yours. Don't short yourself by amplifying it through a mass-produced $300 amp. Get something made with pride and with exceptional attention to detail. Portland should have plenty of venues for you to demo boutique and/or high-end kit.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

Last edited by Steely Glen; 06-08-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
...You've got the iconic 335 and probably dropped north of $2K to make it yours. Don't short yourself by amplifying it through a mass-produced $300 amp. Get something made with pride and with exceptional attention to detail...
Some of the most iconic sounds in music history were made with 335's through mass-produced amps - still are...

Advances in production methodology, coupled with outsourcing, have made high-quality items at realistic prices possible (how much did you pay for that 55" LCD TV?)...

As the owners of MIK Gretsch Electromatics, Eastman archtops, Recording King/Blueridge/Pono acoustics, low/midprice Yamahas, MIJ '80s Fender/Squiers, Martin 15-Series, Larrivee -03/-04, lawsuit-era Ibanez/Tama/Takamine, or just about anything from the Godin factory will attest, top-shelf tone doesn't need to cost an arm, a leg, and a few other vital appendages...

When it comes to labels vs. tone, I'll take tone every time - and if I can save a few bucks in the bargain so much the better...
Old 06-08-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Hey I am in Portland, OR too.

I am currently borrowing a VHT 12/20 from a friend. Pretty cool amp, will accept 6v6's or EL84's and run at 12 watts, and 6L6's or EL34's to run at 20 watts. They say it is voiced after a Princeton but with a bit more mids. There is also a pentode/triode knob that cuts the wattage in half, and a power scaling dial to reduce it further. So pretty versatile. Might be worth checking out, I think Portland Music Co carries them.

Anton
Old 06-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Some of the most iconic sounds in music history were made with 335's through mass-produced amps - still are...

Advances in production methodology, coupled with outsourcing, have made high-quality items at realistic prices possible (how much did you pay for that 55" LCD TV?)...

As the owners of MIK Gretsch Electromatics, Eastman archtops, Recording King/Blueridge/Pono acoustics, low/midprice Yamahas, MIJ '80s Fender/Squiers, Martin 15-Series, Larrivee -03/-04, lawsuit-era Ibanez/Tama/Takamine, or just about anything from the Godin factory will attest, top-shelf tone doesn't need to cost an arm, a leg, and a few other vital appendages...

When it comes to labels vs. tone, I'll take tone every time - and if I can save a few bucks in the bargain so much the better...
I'll acknowledge that I probably can't win a blindfold test 100% of the time between boutique stuff and some of the items in the bargain bin at Guitar Center. But for me, that's not the point. I don't care about what musician uses what kit to achieve their tone. And I'm not out to save a buck. I care about what sounds (and feels) right to me. Personally, I like things crafted by artisans so whenever possible, I go for that, even if it costs me more (often a lot more). YMMV and that's fine too.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars