The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Default Taylor T5 / T5Z

Thought you'd like to see a size comparison on the new T5Z. Yes, a tad smaller. Very comfortable and light weight. Still has all the great acoustic tones, but it feels a little more Rock and Roll. This T5Z (left) has a maple top and a Borrego Red finish. Pretty sweet guitar. Standard T5 is on the right.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks - I was enamored with the T5 and curious how the new T5Z compared side-by-side.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 01-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 PM

Taylor took some really nice, rich looking colors, and ruined them in my opinion. The ruby red burst, or whatever they called it was very nice. The new borrego red simply looks cheap in my opinion.

I'll be ordering a gas lamp black later this month. I like that color, but not as much as the translucent black it replaces.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Kinda wish this were an option when I bought my T5. My only gripe is that it can't fit in a standard gig bag.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Kinda wish this were an option when I bought my T5. My only gripe is that it can't fit in a standard gig bag.
They don't come in a hard case?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carr View Post
They don't come in a hard case?
They do, but my usual standard has been to use a Ritter double guitar or bass gig bag.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 AM

Thanks for posting the comparison picture, there's a noticeable difference, isn't there? Looking forward to playing one, but I'll stick with my T5, I believe.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM

I started on Fender solid body guitars as a kid and maybe with that experience I always thought the T5 was too big. Most smaller Taylor dealers no longer stock T5s and I wonder if the T5z will cross over into mainstream distribution. I am looking forward to seeing one at the local Taylor dealers (presuming it becomes popular enough for them to stock). Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warddix View Post
Thanks for posting the comparison picture, there's a noticeable difference, isn't there? Looking forward to playing one, but I'll stick with my T5, I believe.
Pretty much my thoughts. Other than the size and wishing it had one more fret, I love my T5 and T3/B.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I started on Fender solid body guitars as a kid and maybe with that experience I always thought the T5 was too big. Most smaller Taylor dealers no longer stock T5s and I wonder if the T5z will cross over into mainstream distribution. I am looking forward to seeing one at the local Taylor dealers (presuming it becomes popular enough for them to stock). Jon
I also started on Gibson/Fender type instruments. Prior to the T5, I had been playing a lot of 6 and 7 string bass. Let's just say I didn't notice how big the T5 body was after my 7 string bass. I really only noticed the size when I tried to throw it in my gig bag and it didn't fit. It's also significantly longer and wider than my short scale bass.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Where can I find the specs/colors/prices of them? On the Taylor site all I see is the first edition one.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM

Default Too expensive!

One more T5 gripe, if Gibson can sell a stripped down Les Paul for $1000, why are T5s so expensive, and why is the "z" more expensive than its predecessor (which might be going up too)? I think Taylor is missing the market when an American Telecaster Special is $900 MAP and a Gibson Les Paul Studio is $1000 MAP. The T5 is mostly relatively inexpensive Sapele carved by CNC machines. The new higher prices do not make sense when the rest of the market is able to hold the line, if not find ways to introduce even less expensive products (ex. Fender American Specials). I don't see a T5z being worth three times the price of my Godin A6 Ultra. Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM

If you want a stripped down T5, there's the T5x.

I haven't played Godin's since the 90's. I can't say I was as impressed with them as I am with my koa T5.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Cool T5z

A google search for Taylor T5Z shows that there are 3 models. The Custom, The Pro and the Standard. Couldn't find any reviews which described differences between the Pro and Standard but looks like maybe a figured top on the Pro. No difference in the electronics. The Custom gets the Koa top and gold tuners. Haven't played one but would like to. michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM

I love these guitars. Saw a Z recently at a Taylor roadshow. Very cool idea. I don't own one, and won't, because I need to have both acoustic and electric at the same time, and it can't do it without major modification... so I got a Crowdster instead. very happy.

But I have a few friends who've had T5s. They're freakin' awesome. I'd love a 3 with a PowerBridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars