The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 PM

True, some of the late 70's to early 80's were chambered, but they are touting this in their ads and sales lit as an "advantage" now for whatever reason. Maybe it is for some players, but it's not what I love about them. Not too hip on the f holes I've seen lately either. I dunno, personal taste and probably a lot to do with my expectations. Why I love Les Pauls is the classic rock/blues tone like Clapton, Page, Steven Tyler, and others got with them. Warm, rich, woody, seemingly endless sustain from that boat anchor solid body. Friend of mine had a '79, and another one has a '05 or so. The '79 had prettier inlays in the headstock and fretboard, better fretboard wood, a better feel in my hands, and, IMO, prettier tone. The newer one played like my Epi as far as the neck went, which is comfortable, but the '79 seemed subtly different in shape and felt like a more natural fit for my hand. I've looked at the brand new ones, and I'm just not as turned on by them as I once was. To get what I really want new would take getting one of the Gibson Customs, along with the stratospheric price tag. I played a Singlecut, and stock it was pretty much exactly what I am looking for at a much more palatable price. They are beautiful guitars, too. They come across as putting a lot of TLC into the assembly and setup, and I really appreciate that.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 AM

What tookya so long?!?? Hah, no, seriously, I know what you mean. I sold all my Gibsons and Fenders when I got into PRSs.

Here are mine:
- CE22 w/ 59/09 pickups (these are the same pickups you liked in the custom you played) (btw this is for sale)
- CE22 standard with dragon II pups
- 2012 Signature Limited (phenomenal guitar, the 408 pickups are the first split coils without any volume or tone loss, just perfect)

Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
True, some of the late 70's to early 80's were chambered, but they are touting this in their ads and sales lit as an "advantage" now for whatever reason. Maybe it is for some players, but it's not what I love about them. Not too hip on the f holes I've seen lately either. I dunno, personal taste and probably a lot to do with my expectations. Why I love Les Pauls is the classic rock/blues tone like Clapton, Page, Steven Tyler, and others got with them. Warm, rich, woody, seemingly endless sustain from that boat anchor solid body. Friend of mine had a '79, and another one has a '05 or so. The '79 had prettier inlays in the headstock and fretboard, better fretboard wood, a better feel in my hands, and, IMO, prettier tone. The newer one played like my Epi as far as the neck went, which is comfortable, but the '79 seemed subtly different in shape and felt like a more natural fit for my hand. I've looked at the brand new ones, and I'm just not as turned on by them as I once was. To get what I really want new would take getting one of the Gibson Customs, along with the stratospheric price tag. I played a Singlecut, and stock it was pretty much exactly what I am looking for at a much more palatable price. They are beautiful guitars, too. They come across as putting a lot of TLC into the assembly and setup, and I really appreciate that.
totally agree. yes Gibson can make nice LPs but you are talking custom shop and a rediculous price. to me the PRS has awesome quality at much less than a custom shop LP. Also I have been liking the PRS pickups better. The neck pickups in most LPs are just way too muddy. the PRS has more clarity. I Just sold a pretty nice 2010 LP Studio to get my PRS P22. My boy had a PRS SE245 and right before I sold the LP I played them through the same amp and I found I liked the PRS SE even better for tone PLUS the finish and detail is actually superior on the PRS SE over a USA made LP.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
totally agree. yes Gibson can make nice LPs but you are talking custom shop and a rediculous price. to me the PRS has awesome quality at much less than a custom shop LP. Also I have been liking the PRS pickups better. The neck pickups in most LPs are just way too muddy. the PRS has more clarity. I Just sold a pretty nice 2010 LP Studio to get my PRS P22. My boy had a PRS SE245 and right before I sold the LP I played them through the same amp and I found I liked the PRS SE even better for tone PLUS the finish and detail is actually superior on the PRS SE over a USA made LP.
I've heard a lot about the Larrivee RS-4 and it's held in high regard to replicating the nice vintage tones that Gibson has strayed so far away from. To bad they are hard to get your hands onto!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
The neck pickups in most LPs are just way too muddy. the PRS has more clarity.
Interestingly, my Epi neck pup was rather muddy stock. The bridge was the opposite, obnoxiously shrill. "Hey, want your ears pierced?" I liked how it played, though. I gutted the electronics completely except the pups, and installed an RS Guitarworks Vintage kit with it wired "fifties style". I don't know how cheap they really went with the stock parts, but the difference is breathtaking. Part of me still wonders what new pups would do, but the other part is really happy with how it is now and reluctant to tamper with it. It'll get me through until I win the lottery and buy that PRS, and even then I'll probably keep playing it some.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
I've heard a lot about the Larrivee RS-4 and it's held in high regard to replicating the nice vintage tones that Gibson has strayed so far away from. To bad they are hard to get your hands onto!
Not intending to redirect this thread, but there is a used RS2 in black in the Larrivee Forum classifieds for sale....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM

I agree with leesam. If any of you who like the "Les Paul tone" have the opportunity to play a PRS with 59/09 pickups you will find a guitar that is better built with the same tone. Essentially Paul bought the 50s pickup wiring machine and used it to manufacture these pickups. It sounds phenomenal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars