The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I just purchased a Washburn HB-35 at less than half your budget. It's not a Gibson, but you couldn't prove it by me...
I TOTALLY agree. I stumbled on my '95 HB-35S (sycamore) at a Music-Go-Round last year and consider myself extremely lucky. For less than half the cost of the OP's budget, plus the cost of a good set up, I can't imagine a better semi-hollow body axe.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I just purchased a Washburn HB-35 at less than half your budget. It's not a Gibson, but you couldn't prove it by me....
I have a Washburn HB-30...and it's not a bad guitar except for the weak bridge pickup. Now it even sounds better with a DiMarzio Fred bridge pickup!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
I TOTALLY agree. I stumbled on my '95 (Washburn) HB-35S (sycamore) at a Music-Go-Round last year...I can't imagine a better semi-hollow body axe.
No you probably can't - not until you've actually owned a great Gibson ES-335.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 03-21-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
How about a Gibson ES 339?
Far echo of ES 3-35. Less sweetness, less charm.

The other axe, to put it simple.

P.S.: Matter of taste, maybe...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I just purchased a Washburn HB-35 at less than half your budget. It's not a Gibson, but you couldn't prove it by me...
I used to work at Washburn and I used to set these up, every day. They were made by Cort (back then (and I don't know about now)) and they were ok. Every once in a while I would get one with a lot of figure on the back or even the top, and some that played really pretty dang good. but they're not as nice as the 335. during the 80's, though, the Gibsons were very spotty. I played one once where the nut came from the factory looking like it had been intended for slide -- just terrible, but it was an easy fix. I would prefer the best Washburn to the worstest 70's or 80's Gibson, but generally, no.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

First of all why an ES-335? Maybe get that Carlton sound, and just pure beauty and feel of a real 335. You may not be happy until you get the genuine article.
There are some decent knock-offs out there, but do they have the same sound? As some have alluded to, go to a music store and play every Gibson ES-335 in there, then play every knock-off and be honest with yourself about what feels and sounds best.
I would like to have a Martin 000-v28 12 fret acoustic. I don't have $3500 right now for that. But I did have enough in my range to get a Recording King ROS-647 (000-12 fretter with a lot of bling). I don't know of a better replica for an early 20s Martin 12 fretter made today. I am very happy with the knock-off.
Mind you I own 6 Gibsons among some other gems but you'll only be happy when you actually try them out. My guitar of choice right now for playing is the RK.
Good alternatives to the Gibson 335:

Heritage H-535 (My #1 pick -a company which is a Gibson break off---http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/semihollowbody.html

BTW there's a knock-off at about any price range. You'll have to decide level of quality, feel and sound.

Last edited by gibbyguy; 03-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
First of all why an ES-335? Maybe get that Carlton sound, and just pure beauty and feel of a real 335. You may not be happy until you get the genuine article.
There are some decent knock-offs out there, but do they have the same sound? As some have alluded to, go to a music store and play every Gibson ES-335 in there, then play every knock-off and be honest with yourself about what feels and sounds best.
I would like to have a Martin 000-v28 12 fret acoustic. I don't have $3500 right now for that. But I did have enough in my range to get a Recording King ROS-647 (000-12 fretter with a lot of bling). I don't know of a better replica for an early 20s Martin 12 fretter made today. I am very happy with the knock-off.
Mind you I own 6 Gibsons among some other gems but you'll only be happy when you actually try them out. My guitar of choice right now for playing is the RK.
Good alternatives to the Gibson 335:

Heritage H-535 (My #1 pick -a company which is a Gibson break off---http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/semihollowbody.html

BTW there's a knock-off at about any price range. You'll have to decide level of quality, feel and sound.
Gibby,
I find it interesting that you have a screen name of "gibbyguy", yet you question the OP's preferrence for the 335...

Personally, the only Gibson I'll ever have is a Les Paul, but that's me. I agree with you that there are "good alternatives to the Gibson 335", but if the guy wants a 335, he WANTS a 335!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
No you probably can't - not until you've actually owned a great Gibson ES-335.
Ha, you cheated, Goldenbird. I said that for what I paid I can't imagine a better semi-hollow. I just can't. Excellent tone, playability, looks/mojo, AND for one-quarter to one-fifth the price of the Gibby. I love it.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 AM

How about a Gibson ES135? There are plenty around for about $1000. I had a 335 and a 135, sold the 335 and kept the 135.

Here's mine:

(Most of them have f-holes. This is an unusual one)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 AM

Original owner of a 1968 335. There is no alternative.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Just a note of caution to anyone looking for a Washburn HB35, do not order one over the internet. I did just that and the guitar was some kind of bad in terms of quality. I ended up sending it back immediately and picked one up at a local shop. Even then their guitars still had some blemishes to them. I never did fall in love with it and sold it 8 months later.

I think like others have said, if this is your dream type guitar save up the money or sell something else in order to get the real deal.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Original owner of a 1968 335. There is no alternative.
What about a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe ?

I onw one since more than a year and am very happy with it. It's not a fancy expensive guitar but more like a workingman guitar. The pickups have a good reputation - according to my guitar teacher. I actualy bought it because it was a backup for my Duesenberg Carl Carlton, which I could easily transport for my lesons without any pain in my heart. Eventually sold the Duesenberg and kept the Hagstrom.

René
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I have always liked the ES-335 and have wanted one for many years. However, I haven't played some of its competitors to establish whether I might prefer a Heritage or Carvin equivalent. Certainly, a Carvin is a better value. I do know that unlike guitars from these two makers, Gibson's quality has not been consistent. Because of that, I'd rather take a chance on guitars from either of these two than on a used or new Gibson. I don't have the patience to try Gibson after Gibson until I find one that hits the mark as some people recommend.

Guitarists argue back and forth about whether a carved solid wood top is not as good as a bent plywood one and if one likes the ES-335, than its plywood top is obviously not an issue but the fact remains that the former is more expensive to make than the latter.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/models...ollowbody.html
Used Herritage models I've seen would get close to the budget and every one I've tried has been great. I did not see finish issues or file marks on the Heritage models like I did with Gibsons.

I have a hollow body that's all mahogany and maple and it makes tone when it's not plugged in that is musical compared to the laminate guitars I've played and one I had. It also seems like the pickups carry some of that same tone to amp BUT that may also be why it doesn't sound like solid center Gibson types.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Well, if you play a real 335 and then pay one of it's budget-minded similar guitars, you know the difference...it's there.

But if you get up in price, there;s lots of guitars with a similar vibe that are every bit as cool, and they bring different things to the table (like my Hofner, which I can't shut up about--which is thinner, lighter, and has brighter, more articulate mini-humbuckers) or this drool worthy semi-hollow:

(That's a Sadowsky)

I'll let you get a napkin.

Gibson still makes great guitars, don't let people fool you--it's not Gibson's fault their guitar hung on the wall at Guitar Center for six months and got played by folks with BBQ sauce on their fingers...but it is a "lifestyle" brand, and you are paying for a name. As long as you realize that and are cool with it, save the pesos and get that dream 335. When you set your mind on something you owe it to yourself to follow through...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM

I think it's unfortunate that this thread has departed from the poster's original message: He likes (loves?) the Gibson 335, but has $1,000. So, the question is, what can he get that's as close to a 335 as possible for nowhere near the money necessary to buy a genuine 335?

Some of us have given our best suggestions based on what we own or have played, but others seem to think the original and/or subsequent posters have invited them to defend their affection for the 335. Not sure that's helpful to the original poster.

I agree with some of the above comments about build quality--not just for the Washburn, but I think for any "budget" semi-hollowbody. These guitars can be really spotty and, as such, should probably be hand-inspected before purchase. I inspected a goodly number of new Epiphones, Gretsches, and a couple Hagstroms before I settled on my used Washburn. One of the Gretsches was brilliant, but a *little* more than I wanted to spend. The Hagstroms I tried looked great, but suffered in tone seemed very fragile. The Epiphones ran the gamut from quite solid to horrible, and I couldn't love the nice ones (not sure why). So I opted for my used, smokey-smelling HB-35 and am very happy with it. Yeah, it needed a professional set-up, and yes I wouldn't mind changing the neck pickup and pick-up switch someday, but it was well bought and I feel fortunate to have found it used at a local shop.

YMMV, but whichever hollowbody you choose, I'd recommend some quality alone time with it before purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars