The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Like the good Captain, I have a 522ce 12 fret, I have a shorty, and had an X20. I agree that for my voice my rosewood/spruce works better than the Hog for singing along(which isn’t my strong suit). The X20 really did shock me initially with the sound coming up from the sound hole, but you quickly get used to it. I play mostly finger style with flesh and found it to be a quiet instrument that way but to have a very wide dynamic range with a pick. The x20 had a better sound to my ear than my Shorty. I replaced it with a WS-1000 and although I didn’t get to compare it with the Emerald directly I think it is comparable in volume and range of sound but with a differn’t balance maybe? Hard to describe.
While I found the X20 neck profile seemed to cause pain in my fretting hand, it doesn’t for most. I liked it ok for fingerstyle but really found it came alive for strumming and singing along and would likely be better than an all hog in my experience.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 AM

I bought FrettingFlyer's X20 and it now lives next to my Rainsong WS-1000. In broad terms, the X20 is warmer and more balanced. With the offset sound hole, you hear what the audience is hearing, like you have a guitar monitor. The WS-1000 is more crystalline in tone and somewhat more "in your face" in terms of loudness and projection.

I sing over both of them just fine, strummed and finger picked. My voice ranges from the F# on the bass string to the G on the first string on a good day, so I am a "bari-tenor" - mostly a tenor but with some lower range too.

My Rainsong is seeing less play time lately, as the beveled edges of the X20 are really spoiling me comfort-wise. I've never had any major issues with squared off guitar edges, but the X20 is like finding a pair of hiking boots that really fits without breaking in. I have loved that WS-1000 for many years, but if I had to pick only one right now..... well, please don't force me to choose.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
The X20 really did shock me initially with the sound coming up from the sound hole, but you quickly get used to it. I play mostly finger style with flesh and found it to be a quiet instrument that way but to have a very wide dynamic range with a pick. The x20 had a better sound to my ear than my Shorty. While I found the X20 neck profile seemed to cause pain in my fretting hand, it doesn’t for most. I liked it ok for fingerstyle but really found it came alive for strumming and singing along and would likely be better than an all hog in my experience.
Like Dave, I play fingerstyle with the meat of my fingers. I find the X20 to be slightly quieter than my Martin 000-18 Custom even with the sound hole facing up. My voice easily overpowers both guitars. If I played with a pick then it would probably be more even. Fortunately, I don't sing much and let my wife do most of that.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

I really like accompanying my vocals with the X20... unlike my friends here who know what kind of singer they are, I'm not sure... I think I am a bassoon.

In the words of the philosophers Mick and Keith: "It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber